Bands like Iron Maiden

There is definitely a huge similarity between Bruce Dickinson and Edguy's singer Tobias Sammett! Saw Edguy live this year and his voice, his mannerisms and stage moves and even his jokes were so Bruce Dickinsonish!

at first when i listened to Edguy i didnt really like them, but then i started to get hooked on maiden and my boyfriend suggested me giving EdGuy another try so i did. now, i think i still like maiden more but edguy is creeping up there.

know of anyone else similar to those 2 bands..?

Listen to a group called Wolf. Check out their s/t album and Black Wings. If ya like Maiden, you'll like them. UNRESTRAINED! magazine had this comment on the group: "This group is Iron Maiden on LSD!"

Couldn't agree more about Wolf. That is a DAMNED fine band, and their self-titled is excellent for all fans of 80s metal. Also, if you're open to some truly excellent stuff that's a bit edgier, check out Massachusetts' Beyond The Embrace.

Their debut - 'Against The Elements' - is put simply, one of the most underrated debuts I've heard in a long, long time. Think 1985 Bay Area thrash meets 1988 Iron Maiden meets 1995 In Flames and you're getting there. It hasn't left my CD player in over 3 months (and I have 2000+ CDs).

Australian band Dungeon :D

Huge Iron Maiden fans and a strong Maiden influence! Thrashy riffs though as well. Excellent band hehe.

Originally posted by markgugs
Couldn't agree more about Wolf. That is a DAMNED fine band, and their self-titled is excellent for all fans of 80s metal. Also, if you're open to some truly excellent stuff that's a bit edgier, check out Massachusetts' Beyond The Embrace.

Their debut - 'Against The Elements' - is put simply, one of the most underrated debuts I've heard in a long, long time. Think 1985 Bay Area thrash meets 1988 Iron Maiden meets 1995 In Flames and you're getting there. It hasn't left my CD player in over 3 months (and I have 2000+ CDs).

You're right, Beyond The Embrace is great. I have their debut album and I listen to it non-stop. They're also a great live band, I saw them on tour this summer and they rocked it out! If ya don't have their new album, GO PICK IT UP!

Try checking out Iced Earth. They are a more evil form of Iron Maiden. They are also huge Iron Maiden fans and cover Maiden on their Tribute to the Gods album. Iced Earth is one of the better bands out there today and definetly worth checking out.

Originally posted by Guardian of Darkness
Get Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith. It's a bit like Maiden, but it's great stuff anyway.

Not really like Maiden but a great great album. Obne of my favorite metal albums ever. Even though Priest and Maiden are different sounding most Iron Maiden fans like Judas Priest as well. Priest and Maiden are my top 2 favorite bands.

>>Try checking out Iced Earth. They are a more evil form of Iron Maiden. They are also huge Iron Maiden fans and cover Maiden on their Tribute to the Gods album. Iced Earth is one of the better bands out there today and definetly worth checking out.<<

I think i have one iced earth album, its tolerable but not that great. im not sure which i have though... heh.

I'll have to second (third? fourth?) the WOLF recommendations. My absolute best find of the year. "Black Wings" is an astoundingly great album, due in no small part to the amazing vintage vibe they've captured on it. And by that I don't mean the production is stale or anything like that...you'll have to hear it. They have some samlpes at their site at http://www.wolf.nu

I don't know of any bands who sound completely like Maiden - they are one of a kind. But if you're not familiar with their bigger-name contemporaries of the era such as Judas Priest or Helloween, then check them out too.

Many death metal bands took inspiration from Maiden. To name just a few: CARCASS "Heartwork", SENTENCED "Amok", IN FLAMES "The Jester Race"...the list goes on and on.

Your best bet is to check out other NWOBHM bands. Some notable ones: SAMSON (of course), PRAYING MANTIS (especially "Time Tells No Lies"), TYGERS OF PAN TANG, TRESPASS, etc.

And as for ICED EARTH: "Night of the Stormrider" is one of the finest metal albums ever crafted!!