Bands that JUST DON'T GET IT

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
Ok, this is to all of the full time producers on this forum. Somebody who produces as their career.

I've not had too many of these experiences with signed, established bands.

But have you guys noticed how a lot of local bands/new signed bands think they're entitled to basically run your business?!

Shit like: "Ok nick, we have an extremely strict deadline. It's December 3rd right now, and we're expecting our first drafts of mixes TOMORROW. If this is not done, we will be driving up there without compensating you".

Or

"Nick, It's been one week since we tracked our full length! Why isn't it done yet?!?! You're taking longer than we had expected and we would like part of our payment returned, or we will be taking legal actions. We know what goes into your job and it doesn't take that long."

REALLY?! Who the fuck are YOU to tell ME how to run my business. I've been doing this full time for over a year now.. I'm pretty sure I get the fucking nitch.

I just feel like the majority of bands on this level DON'T understand anything that has to do with the recording industry and they DON'T realize how much fucking work we put into it, especially if it's a one man business like mine.

Where do these bands get this arrogance and the BALLS to tell me how to do things?

/rant

Contracts.

I know the feel bro (haha)

But seriously, I do know that feeling, those deadlines are in their fucking head, it's not like they NEED it or anything LOL. Just explain that to them, it takes a LOT to make shit happen.

When I try to explain someone what goes into mixing, I say something like: Look, you can have your mixes in a couple of days, they will sound like crap or you can have them in 2 weeks and every song will be tapped into their potential as much as possible. It's their choice really... If they choose the first one refuse to have credits on it

It's always a good idea to make sure everything is understood upfront between both parties. I'll often tell bands,"I've got a lot of other projects i'm working on, but everything should be done within a week or so." I also make the band pay upfront for flat rate "per-track" fee for mixing/editing before I begin the process. The only issue I could see them having a problem with, is if you are charging them hourly for mixing time (as opposed to a flat rate). Obviously, if they are paying you hourly for time spent mixing/editing, they will want to see some results. If they have a specific deadline that everyone agreed upon at the beginning of the recording process, then that should be honored, and if you're late, then you'll need a reason why.

In any case, when i get a band complaining about why their stuff isn't done when they expected it, I just say something like,"Hey guys, really sorry it's taking longer than I had planned. Some issues came up, blah blah blah. I just want to make sure I give you guys the best results I possibly can! It should only take a little bit longer than expected." Hopefully that should reassure them. Also, you may want to send them your latest mix of a song or two just to show that progress has been made.

or we will be taking legal actions. We know what goes into your job and it doesn't take that long."

/rant

I wouldn't worry too much about the legal action.... I don't think half these guys understand how much it costs to hire a lawyer & launch a suit.

That being said, explain that you're taking your time to "get it right." And a little patience from them will help make a better product.

yes FUCK OFF to those bands.
that's a big reason im not doing this for a living but just as a secondary job.
it's pointless for me to cooperate with those stupid people,and we all know that 90% of the bands out there are really stupid.
And the most disgusting thing is that all of them can't play their fucking instrument tight,that means there is alot of editing needed,but they demand the result in 1 week or even 2/3 days..

Contracts for the win. Also, tell them everything before they agree to work with you: How payment is done, how long it will probably take, if there will be roughmixes or not, if they will get anything before they payed in full, etc.
They can't really whine about shit if everything was clear from the beginning.. and if they still do, well you got the contract.

Yes. what jipchen said!

I have noticed most bands are more then okay with waiting on their mix/master without a contract, and just by clearly stating that it will take x amount of days/weeks before the mix/master is done, they will wait patiently.

- So sit down with the band if you can, and make agreements.
- After that, send out a email where you confirm the previous made agreements, now it's written down as well.
- Keep them updated every day or so with a nice and clear email about the time it will take to finish things, and how far you have gotten so far.. this will give them a great idea of your pace of work.

Then if they still whine, CONTRACT! ;) Otherwise, bail.