Bands that were considered "Metal" back in the day.

rokk

Long Live =^.^=
Mar 5, 2005
Southeast Idaho
www.doseofmetal.com
The best of '76 thread got me thinkin'... (I know, I know, it doesn't happen often!) but anyway. :loco:

I was thinking about all the bands we'd listen to right along with those listed in the "'76" thread that were considered "metal" at the time but no longer fit the bill.

One that comes to mind is Foreigner. The really rocked hard and were one of my favorites back then. At least the first four albums S/T, Double Vision, Head Games, and "4". By 1984 they had wimped out in a major way and I was done with them!

A few others that may (or may not) fit here include Boston, Queen, Styx, Aerosmith, Bad Company, UFO, Blue Oyster Cult, Angel, Budgie, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Ted Nugent, ELO, Pink Floyd, and the Eagles.

What bands rounded out your collection (probably vinyl like me) back then that do not neccessarily fit into the "metal" genre as we know it today?

Rokk :headbang:

I don't know that I ever considered any of them metal. BOC had some strong metal tendencies, but radio hard rock kicked ass back then, so it didn't matter if they were metal or not. Had there been no Boston, not Kansas, I might not even be a metal-head.
I already mentioned Kansas, but Steve Miller, AC/DC, Kiss (though I still stand strong with Trix on this one and much prefer 80's Kiss) and Blackfoot also stick out.

Bryant

rokk said:
A few others that may (or may not) fit here include Boston, Queen, Styx, Aerosmith, Bad Company, UFO, Blue Oyster Cult, Angel, Budgie, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Ted Nugent, ELO, Pink Floyd, and the Eagles.

Ya gotsta have some southern fried rock in there too. :) Skynyrd and 38 Special (less so).

I consider BOC and UFO very metal. As good as Scorpions, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, Praying Mantis (sadly the luminaries in MA don't believe so).

Pink Floyd on the other hand is one of the best progressive rock bands from the 70's (and up to this day).

I will range the rest from pop/rock to hard rock.

OMG! Angel?!?!? I used to have their first album...Rudy Sarzo and the guys dressed so feminine...WOW!

I'd have to throw in Steppenwolf and Cream. I could be off a few years on these guys but I still like to throw in the classic stuff every now and then. Does it get any more metal than "Born to be Wild" or "Born under a bad sign?"

I also have been throwing in the old Sammy Hagar cassettes, loved him in Montrose and of course his solo stuff was great cruising music!

rokk said:
The best of '76 thread got me thinkin'... (I know, I know, it doesn't happen often!) but anyway. :loco:

I was thinking about all the bands we'd listen to right along with those listed in the "'76" thread that were considered "metal" at the time but no longer fit the bill.

One that comes to mind is Foreigner. The really rocked hard and were one of my favorites back then. At least the first four albums S/T, Double Vision, Head Games, and "4". By 1984 they had wimped out in a major way and I was done with them!

What bands rounded out your collection (probably vinyl like me) back then that do not neccessarily fit into the "metal" genre as we know it today?

Rokk :headbang:

I don't recall any of those bands being considered metal with the exception of UFO, Nugent and BOC... the others were considered hard rock at best...

kittybeast said:
OMG! Angel?!?!? I used to have their first album...Rudy Sarzo and the guys dressed so feminine...WOW!

I'd have to throw in Steppenwolf and Cream. I could be off a few years on these guys but I still like to throw in the classic stuff every now and then. Does it get any more metal than "Born to be Wild" or "Born under a bad sign?"

I also have been throwing in the old Sammy Hagar cassettes, loved him in Montrose and of course his solo stuff was great cruising music!

Rudy was in Angel???? :erk: ... I know he was in Quiet Riot with Randy Rhoads and Kevin Dubrow.. but i dont ever recall hearing he was in Angel.. if he was then he was in the movie Foxes with Jodie Foster and Scott Baio... :err:

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Rudy was in Angel???? :erk: ... I know he was in Quiet Riot with Randy Rhoads and Kevin Dubrow.. but i dont ever recall hearing he was in Angel.. if he was then he was in the movie Foxes with Jodie Foster and Scott Baio... :err:

Bassist Rudy Sarzo (QUIET RIOT, OZZY OSBOURNE, WHITESNAKE) has been speaking with the group ANGEL and is likely to rejoin the band after some twenty-three years of absence, according to Melodic Rock. Sarzo was a member of ANGEL prior to being in both QUIET RIOT and OZZY OSBOURNE. It appears that QUIET RIOT drummer Frankie Banali's refusal to pursue a musical situation that was to include guitarist Reb Beach, vocalist Joe Lynn Turner as well as Sarzo has prompted Rudy to pursue other avenues. Meanwhile, HARDLINE keyboardist Michael T. Ross has joined ANGEL, replacing Greg Guffria. Although Michael is still working closely with Johnny Gioeli in HARDLINE and ACCOMPLICE, Michael has made time to join ANGEL and just completed several dates in California. They are in discussions to record a new ANGEL record and are playing the Bang Your Head Festival in Germany in 2004. Also check out this link angel

Also found a website ANGEL ROCKS

sixxswine said:
bands like Winger. They are/were considered metal. Same with Poison, ect.
This isn't the way I see it, but I'm in a monority...

Glam metal for sure, please look that metal is in the name, it was never glamcore. So you're not minority.

KMADD said:
believe me holmes. Way before! Hey how about bands like Nazareth?, Molly Hatchet,
Blackfoot, Whitesnake and so on!

I love Nazareth, and I thing they had very metal songs but overall I would put them more into Hard Rock than Heavy Metal.

OF COURSE that my division of Heavy Metal/Hard Rock is a very personal one :loco: so I can't explain throughly the feeling in written words.

kittybeast said:
Bassist Rudy Sarzo (QUIET RIOT, OZZY OSBOURNE, WHITESNAKE) has been speaking with the group ANGEL and is likely to rejoin the band after some twenty-three years of absence, according to Melodic Rock. Sarzo was a member of ANGEL prior to being in both QUIET RIOT and OZZY OSBOURNE. It appears that QUIET RIOT drummer Frankie Banali's refusal to pursue a musical situation that was to include guitarist Reb Beach, vocalist Joe Lynn Turner as well as Sarzo has prompted Rudy to pursue other avenues. Meanwhile, HARDLINE keyboardist Michael T. Ross has joined ANGEL, replacing Greg Guffria. Although Michael is still working closely with Johnny Gioeli in HARDLINE and ACCOMPLICE, Michael has made time to join ANGEL and just completed several dates in California. They are in discussions to record a new ANGEL record and are playing the Bang Your Head Festival in Germany in 2004. Also check out this link angel

Also found a website ANGEL ROCKS

WOW! You learn something new everyday! I did not know Rudy had spent time in Angel. Interesting, I first thought you were thinking of Punky Meadows. My mistake.. you are correct according to the information available online!

Wyvern said:
Glam metal for sure, please look that metal is in the name, it was never glamcore. So you're not minority.

I love Nazareth, and I thing they had very metal songs but overall I would put them more into Hard Rock than Heavy Metal.

OF COURSE that my division of Heavy Metal/Hard Rock is a very personal one :loco: so I can't explain throughly the feeling in written words.

Ramazmanaz is a very kick as metal album and song!!

I do remember that in those days, these bands were called Heavy Metal
With that label all kinds of bands were tagged.

Still I think that the term "Heavy metal" which I hear almost never now was applied to a very different sort of music then now the term "Metal" is.

Heavy Metal was used as a generic name, a genus or family name if
anyone knows what I mean, for a certain part of what was called hard rock.

And it was used for the bands that played a bit faster and louder than other bands. Still, I think that Wyvern has a point. Although most people were talking about the louder bands when they used the term heavy metal, what was exactly being experienced as louder was pretty much subjective ie. a personal experience.

When we use the term metal today, most of us mean the same thing people meant in the mid and late 70s. The louder and faster playing bands. But again we do this in a subjective way.

So the genre that was tagged as heavy metal in the 70s is quite different from what we now call metal. They almost have nothing to do with each other. But there was a time when people perceived Nazareth as a very loud and fast playing band. They could not imagine *at that time* that bands would come in the near future that would be playing even louder and faster!

So strap on your seatbelt for what the future may bring us!!

No-Mercy said:
back in the day? oh you mean before i was born...hah

Half of the stuff we talk about is before you were born chief !! I appreciate you being here though. This forum is a little more strict than the TM forum (only because of stupid trolls we have to keep out) but you and darg have posted very well. I am happy you and he are here dude. You guys rock !!

bryant

Bryant said:
Half of the stuff we talk about is before you were born chief !! I appreciate you being here though. This forum is a little more strict than the TM forum (only because of stupid trolls we have to keep out) but you and darg have posted very well. I am happy you and he are here dude. You guys rock !!

bryant

hah thanks bryant. you guys seem much more accepting for my age than most people who dont much bother with me because im so young. i appreciate it, :D

No-Mercy said:
hah thanks bryant. you guys seem much more accepting for my age than most people who dont much bother with me because im so young. i appreciate it, :D

People that are 12 or 13 sometimes can say more intelligent things than people who are old enough to be their father. We had some old guys here that did not sound half as grown up as you do.

Age can not be a factor in judging people, nor what they say. Its how they act and can handle themselves. You're doing great dude! In fact most of the noobs that have what it takes to stay longer than a few posts are quite young. As long as they behave in a civilized way in I don't really care what age people are.