Bands Who Use Drum Machines

Godflesh-Streetcleaner is the first thing that pops in my mind where a drum machine is for the better. It just wouldn't have the same impact if the drums didn't have that cold machine like sound.

Well, you assume so anyway. I tend to agree, but Godflesh are inextricably tied to industrial music, rendering it somewhat anomalous in metal, in my opinion.

Reactions: haloskycrash
I might eventually do both, drum machine and actual drums. I'm pretty basic when it comes to drums, but I've figured I could just jam to songs and gain a feel from the instrument there.

And considering I plan to genre scape a lot, drum machine seems to be practical for me right now. I like the discussion guys! Seeing good points on both ends.

Also:
I gained a penchant for the drum machine while I was in my local noise scene, and thats all I would hear. And my former shitty "metal" band had to use drum machines because its impossible to find a fucking drummer in Rossville-Chattanooga area, so thats where my experience picks up with that.

Mysticum. They pretty much started the whole industrial black metal subgenre, ''In the Streams of Inferno'' is one of my favorite norwegian BM release. The comeback album is pretty good too.

Actually Hellhammer was member of the band in the early days, but they never recorded anything with him (or any human drummers), and tbh the machine suits their music much better than real drums would.

Pretty sweet Indian instrumental tech death band that used a drum machine on their debut album.

Afterwards I'm pretty sure they got in an actual drummer.

Technology is rapidly increasing to where you can program your own drums and hardly tell the difference between a drummer. (IF YOU KNOW HOW TO PROGRAM DRUMS DECENTLY THAT IS)

For recorded albums/songs I think programmed drums is an awesome way for more people to make more music under their own vision without the need of having to rely on another person who may have different ideas/not available all the time/etc...

However... For live situations, please make sure you have a drummer. I go to live shows to see people play actual instruments, there has been a couple metal shows i've been to where the band was 3 people and no drummer. It completely sucked out all the life from the performance. I watched a song or two to see what they had to offer, then went outside to cool off because it wasn't worth it to stay inside.

Reactions: Sophii
Couldn't agree more. Same could be said for bass guitar as well. You gotta have an authentic back-line when playing live otherwise it just looks, sounds & feels wrong.

Reactions: Sophii
I can agree with that.
Though, a band without a bassist can be done, it just depends on what sound you want to achieve. I would never consider that, since bass in my favorite instrument.

Reactions: jimmy101
Indeed it can be done, it's just the overall sound of the band sounds tinny & weak without it. With metal you can get away with it to an extent, but imagine a funk or a jazz band without bass.

I might be wrong, but I think Nile may have played a few shows sans-bass back in the day.

Considering how thick their guitar sound is? Doesn't surprise me one bit.

Jazz without a bassist gives me sad thoughts :cry:

Back to topic, but I think the only bands to pull off a live drum machine sound and not suck is Big Black and Godflesh.

Easily my favorite band that doesn't have a drummer is Agoraphobic Nosebleed. Scott Hull is a master a programming drums. Also Godflesh.