Bands with consecutive & consistently strong milestone releases

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Where consecutive releases have to be perfection for what they are, without much room for improvement...not many perhaps, right?

Obviously all of these are up for debate, but just my two cents...

SEPULTURA - Beneath the Remains -> Arise
EMPEROR- Nightside Eclipse -> Anthems
METALLICA - Kill 'em All -> Lightning -> Puppets -> Justice
OPETH - Orchid -> Morningrise
IRON MAIDEN - Powerslave -> Somewhere in Time -> Seventh Son

(Piece of Mind breaks the consistency for Maiden IMO).

Slayer followed up Reign in Blood with South of Heaven, and although I love both, I personally wouldn't think of SoH as a 'milestone' achievement...in other words, something extraordinary / revolutionary.

Morbid Angel - entire catalog, A - H

Carcass - entire catalog, including Swansong (which is damn good dammit! :p )

Slayer - Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss, Divine Intervention. Hard for me to pick a favorite from these 4, but it's usually not Reign in Blood. :D

Sepultura - Beneath the Remains, Arise, Chaos A.D., and Roots.

Ulver - The Trilogie is outstanding, each in a very distinct way.

Hypocrisy - 4th Dimension, Abducted, the Final Chapter, and Hypocrisy. These are the only 4 death metal albums I need for long periods of time.

Other genres...

King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black, and Red. Words cannot describe these three albums. Together they are better than the original Star Wars trilogy, and a good contender to go head to head with the Lord of the Rings trilogy (and yes, I mean the books).

Led Zeppelin - I thru IV

Tool - Undertow, ÆNIMA, and Lateralus. The only band to get three 10/10 scores from me.

METALLICA - Kill 'em All -> Lightning -> Puppets -> Justice
Ulver - The Trilogie is outstanding, each in a very distinct way.
Nile - From Catacombs to Shrines.
Aeternus - Beyond The Wandering Moon -> ...And So The Night Became
Death - From Human to The Sound Of Perseverance

Darkthrone: Soulside Journey -> A Blaze In The Northern Sky -> Under A Funeral Moon -> Transilvanian Hunger -> Panzerfaust

Mütiilation: Vampires Of Black Imperial Blood -> Remains Of A Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul -> Black Millenium (Grimly Reborn) -> Majestas Leprosus

Skepticism: Stormcrowfleet -> Lead and Aether -> Farmakon

I need to hear me some Mütiilation.

The Ulver trilogy was a good call.

Also, I would add all the Empyrium releases. Everyone should own Songs of Moors & Misty Fields - better than anything Ulver ever released I tell ya. :Smug: :D

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllyyyy now... didn't I just say I was going to stop buying CDs for awhile!? :D

JayKeeley said:
Also, I would add all the Empyrium releases. Everyone should own Songs of Moors & Misty Fields
Really? I've never heard that one before :Smug:

No, I felt I had to post here because, as far as I'm concerned, Opeth's greatest consecutive albums are MR and MAYH. Theya re both, for me, better then the rest of Opeth's back catalogue :) Not saying the rest is bad, just that both MR and MAYH are amazing albums as far as I'm concerned...

All I can add I think is: Judas Priest - Stained Class --> British Steel then Defenders Of The Faith --> Painkiller (overlook Ram It Down in that one :saint: )

Katatonia: Dance of December Souls > For Funerals to Come... > Brave Murder Day > Sounds of Decay > Saw You Drown > Discouraged Ones

Agreed with many of these, especially the King Crimson and the Katatonia (although the line could extend in either direction for those guys...), and 84-88 is my favorite period of Maiden. My choice for an Opeth trilogy would be albums 2-4...three excellent and completely different sounding albums.

Yeah, I could go for Still Life, Blackwater Park, and Deliverance for Opeth. I haven't really listened to them for some time though.

I think to say that Empyrium are "nowhere near" Ulver is a stretch. I mean, they're hardly worlds apart.

Put it this way, most people who enjoy Bergtatt and Kveldssanger should thoroughly enjoy Songs of Moors and Where at Night.

Radiohead - The Bends, OK Computer, and Kid A
the Misfits - 3 okay songs and 9000+ incredible ones
Danzig III and 4p

I enjoy the whole Satyricon's catalogue (without EP's) , but most people like some and hate the rest .