rateyourmusic top 50 metal of all time

De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas > Rate Yer Mom

is the common consensus still that anything post DMDS is unworthy? I think I heard GDoW when it first came out and it didn't impress or offend me.

Darkthrone was a'ight. Again, very indifferent but I remember liking the early stuff up to Ravishing Grimness. They kinda lost the plot when they went crust punk, but whateves.

As for Burzum, I heard Belus and thought it was decent enough. Never went further.

Reactions: Demilich
i simply do not understand how you go this many years, listening to black metal, even being a fan of graveland etc, and never bother with burzum

and yes, nothing past dmds is worth the plastic it's pressed on

Reactions: Krilons Resa
Yeah for some reason I thought/assumed you were already a big Burzum fan, dunno why.

I casually enjoy some post-Euronymous Mayhem but it's not even remotely the same band.

Wolf's Lair Abyss remains an interesting memento of them cutting the chord and trying something pretty radical (at the time) but its EP status is its lifeline. I'm sure that if it was longer than 25 minutes it would be just as tiresome and forgettable as subsequent albums.

i simply do not understand how you go this many years, listening to black metal, even being a fan of graveland etc, and never bother with burzum

and yes, nothing past dmds is worth the plastic it's pressed on

I really have no excuse, except laziness. I can say that Burzum was one of the 1st bm bands I heard waaaay back in the day. I simply hated those vocals. Im sure I would totally love the albums now, but alas, I never even tried again. Of course, Ive listened on the youtube and they sound perfectly good.

:erk: @ rage against the machine being that high--also these days I will reach for divine intervention even undisputed attitude before seasons (war ensemble, spirit in black, and born of fire can stay).

This thread did inspire me to give blackwater park another listen through, the first in years. It really has some exceptional songs, and I forgot how great some of the bass playing is--I guess my better earbuds > the panasonic discman stock ones from the late 90's. I think it's just taken me almost twenty years to full separate everything opeth did after orchid/morningrise :rofl:

Reactions: Krilons Resa
I checked out the Bottom 50 yesterday and, disappointingly, I don't own any of them.

I did find out about a Celtic Frost release I have never heard of, which has a lower overall rating than Cold Lake!

Thanks, RYM.

I checked out the Bottom 50 yesterday and, disappointingly, I don't own any of them.

I did find out about a Celtic Frost release I have never heard of, which has a lower overall rating than Cold Lake!

Thanks, RYM.
oh my fucking god

i don't even have to look to know which one it is

yes this is real

Man is that one of those old Ibanez Ton-Lok pedals on the cover? No, wrong series, maybe an Ibanez Super Metal or similar.

Hahahahaha what the shit is this?!?! This is like some 5th rate Laibach. No wait, I'm at the "climax" now, it is 9th rate at best.

Wow.

EDIT: Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-10 with some Custom Celtic Camo paint. That's my final answer.

ibanez-ts10-tube-screamer-classic-237021.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: einride
I have these ones:

1. black sabbath - paranoid
2. black sabbath - master of reality
3. black sabbath - black sabbath
4. metallica - ride the lightning
5. metallica - master of puppets
6. death - symbolic
7. megadeth - rust in peace
11. iron maiden - powerslave
13. black sabbath - sabbath bloody sabbath
15. opeth - blackwater park
17. alice in chains - dirt
21. death - human
22. iron maiden - the number of the beast
23. opeth - still life
24. black sabbath - vol. 4
28. death - the sound of perseverance
35. agalloch - ashes against the grain
39. death - individual thought patterns
44. ulver - bergtatt
48. bolt thrower - those once loyal

I might have 5 or 6 of these in my Top 50.

Master of Reality
absolutely deserves to be number one.

About 10% of the overall list isn't Metal.

Blackwater Park is Opeth's worst Metal album. Ghost Reveries shouldn't be there. The word Opeth appears in the word Dopethrone. D-Opeth-R-One.

Ashes Against the Grain is the third best Agalloch album.

System of a Down - Toxicity has since moved into the RYM top 50 and Dismember out, but looks like the other 49 are still there. I've seen just over half of the bands in concert, including Deftones sucking at a festival and Neurosis not living up to expectations.

12 albums I've never heard in full: Symbolic, Blackwater Park, Jane Doe, Human, None So Vile, Through Silver in Blood, Storm of the Light's Bane, Ghost Reveries, White Pony, Ashes Against the Grain, Those Once Loyal, Like an Ever Flowing Stream.

I think I only own 5 (Black Sabbath, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Seasons in the Abyss). My preferred format for consuming music has been mp3 for a long time, though I actually pay for some of those now. I could probably find Toxicity and a couple of the Maiden albums in this house since my sister's stuff is stored here.

A few of the albums are in my own top 50 list (any genre):
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (#4)
Megadeth - Rust in Peace (#23)
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss (#29)
Metallica - Ride the Lightning (#35)
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (#36)

Can't complain about some of the other entries. Boris at Last -Feedbacker- is my fav Boris album of the ones I've heard. Love that shit. Altars of Madness is my fav Morbid Angel album.

Sad Wings of Destiny is only my 6th fav Priest album. Filosofem is listenable but not list material in my books.

I prefer Electric Wizard's s/t and Come My Fanatics... over Dopethrone, but it's still iconic enough to be there I suppose.

Individual Thought Patterns is probably my fav Death album but I haven't really fleshed it out. Beyond that, I was only inclined to listen to Spiritual Healing and The Sound of Perseverance in full. From my limited impressions, I'd put Spiritual Healing above TSoP.

Other replacements I'd make:
...And Justice for All over Master of Puppets
Melissa over Don't Break the Oath
Celestial over Panopticon. I can see how people prefer Panopticon as it reminds me of Neurosis a lot, but I couldn't get into Neurosis beyond a few songs. Celestial is more uniquely Isis.

Converge is easily the worst on the list, never liked them. When bands like that were touring here and I was going to lots of concerts, I'd always check them out and usually decide what the hell, might be fun. So I find it funny that I've seen and enjoyed some similar bands such as Ringworm, Doomriders and Cult Leader, but stayed well away from Converge.

Mastodon was good in concert back in 2007 but the vocals really grate on me if I listen to them much.

I listen to some RATM, FNM, AiC, Tool & Kyuss but I have those bands filed under rock and in some cases maybe neglected them a bit. Need to revisit AiC more anyway, they were awesome live even without Layne.

Last edited: