rateyourmusic top 50 metal of all time

einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008
here is a new internet forum discussion thread for thy consideration:

https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/all-time/g:metal/exc:live,archival/1/

1. black sabbath - paranoid
2. black sabbath - master of reality
3. black sabbath - black sabbath
4. metallica - ride the lightning
5. metallica - master of puppets
6. death - symbolic
7. megadeth - rust in peace
8. tool - lateralus
9. slayer - reign in blood
10. judas priest - painkiller
11. iron maiden - powerslave
12. rage against the machine - rage against the machine
13. black sabbath - sabbath bloody sabbath
14. tool - aenima
15. opeth - blackwater park
16. converge - jane doe
17. alice in chains - dirt
18. electric wizard - dopethrone
19. iron maiden - seventh son of a seventh son
20. kyuss - kyuss/welcome to sky valley
21. death - human
22. iron maiden - the number of the beast
23. opeth - still life
24. black sabbath - vol. 4
25. boris - boris at last -feedbacker-
26. burzum - filosofem
27. rainbow - rising
28. death - the sound of perseverance
29. cryptopsy - none so vile
30. gorguts - obscura
31. neurosis - through silver in blood
32. dissection - storm of the light’s bane
33. opeth - ghost reveries
34. deftones - white pony
35. agalloch - ashes against the grain
36. emperor - in the nightside eclipse
37. slayer - seasons in the abyss
38. emperor - anthems to the welkin at dusk
39. death - individual thought patterns
40. immolation - close to a world below
41. isis - panopticon
42. mercyful fate - don’t break the oath
43. morbid angel - altars of madness
44. ulver - bergtatt
45. mastodon - crack the skye
46. judas priest - sad wings of destiny
47. darkthrone - a blaze in the northern sky
48. bolt thrower - those once loyal
49. faith no more - angel dust
50. dismember - like an ever flowing stream

as voted by thousands and thousands of people, most of whom, unlike all the friendos in this forum, are probably not super down with the sickness, so it has a very different skew than something in a metal forum or mag would have

POSSIBLE DISCUSSION TOPICS:

* how many of these do you have and how many have you heard

* which ones really don't belong here

* which ones are here purely because of hipsters who are looking for "metal for people who don't like metal" or people who have subsequently Grown Out of Metal overrating the shit they liked when they were 13

here are some reflections:

* who the fuck rates "like an ever flowing stream" higher than "left hand path"? do you have actual fucking ears?

* "ashes against the grain" is not that great honestly and i'm surprised how favorably it is looked upon these days but i guess its easy-listening nature makes people think it's better than pale folklore somehow. to me they were already on a downward slope at this point and ashes is trying a little bit too hard. still good, but u know, this is the top 50 of all time

* "filosofem" is the #1 album hipsters love to hate to love. we all know "hvis lyset tar oss" is a lot better. regardless, i do think "filosofem" also belongs on the top 50 because it is pretty phenomenal

* what the fuck is bolt thrower even doing in a top 50 metal of all time list. i mean no disrespect but really, bolt thrower? it's like putting meat and boiled potatoes in a top 50 meals of all time list. which i mean, i'm not mad, but really?

* rage against the machine is 1) not anywhere near metal and 2) actual garbage

* "sabbath bloody sabbath" absolutely does not belong this high on a top 50 of forever list. yes it has three or four really good songs but this is a TOP 50 OF EVERYTHING EVER and about a third of it is really bad and stupid bullshit so what is it doing here. "who are you?" is my favorite black sabbath song! said no living person ever in the world

* lmao, blackwater park

* at least people have finally figured out that "in the nightside eclipse" is better than anthems

* seasons in the abyss is crappy uninspired tired old man thrash bullshit, it recycles old riffs poorly and the production is shit. south of heaven was the last good slayer. i am willing to die on this hill.

HOW MANY OF THESE DO I OWN ON SOME SORT OF PHYSICAL FORMAT COUNT: 23 i think

funnily enough some of them i have owned at some point but sold because i hated them (blackwater park, individual thought patterns)

Reactions: NAD and Ellestin
i have a legit question...what is rateyourmusic.com? I seriosuly have no idea what it is? I guess Im asking whats the point of it? do people just rate literally rate their music for others?

basically just giving a star rating instead of actually reviewing it?

Reactions: Krilons Resa
Own - 16

31. neurosis - through silver in blood
41. isis - panopticon
48. bolt thrower - those once loyal

I've heard or at one time owned most of the others.

Okay, Death is a pretty good band and I get that Chuck did it first, but he certainly didn't do it best. It's funny that Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy didn't make the cut, which are the ones old schoolers love.

Bolt Thrower is God Tier death metal. So yes, they belong. Give me Realm of Chaos, For Victory or Those Once Loyal over Entombed, Dismember, Death, Cryptopsy, etc.

i have a legit question...what is rateyourmusic.com? I seriosuly have no idea what it is? I guess Im asking whats the point of it? do people just rate literally rate their music for others?

basically just giving a star rating instead of actually reviewing it?
it's a website where you Rate Your Music

you can either just give it stars or, more usefully, write reviews

it's also probably the world's biggest database of recorded music (discogs is the other contender but that has a very different purpose)

you can also make lists of stuff (HERE'S MY TOP 50 ESSENTIAL POLISH PUNK ALBUMS) and there's a discussion forum which makes it very useful for discovering new shit

Okay, Death is a pretty good band and I get that Chuck did it first, but he certainly didn't do it best. It's funny that Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy didn't make the cut, which are the ones old schoolers love.
yeah i mean ok, human, symbolic, individual thought patterns -- whatever, i disagree but i get it, kinda

but sounds of perseverance? top 50 ALL TIME? are you ABSOLUTELY FUCKIN SURE about that?

RYM is actually quite useful for discovering stuff provided you don't get carried away cause lists will do that sometimes. I don't see the point in listening to 5 new albums every single day (I know people who do, I guess it's a compulsive thing) just because they're listed by someone who happened to 4-star+ 32% of the albums you own.
The only place where someone can blind buy every reco safely is RC formerly known as Royal Carnage. I can link it up on request.

Reactions: NAD
I guess i use MA's similar artist to find new bands.

I will check out rym but that list doesnt do it any favors

Also i still read webzines.

Reactions: NAD
* "ashes against the grain" is not that great honestly and i'm surprised how favorably it is looked upon these days but i guess its easy-listening nature makes people think it's better than pale folklore somehow. to me they were already on a downward slope at this point and ashes is trying a little bit too hard. still good, but u know, this is the top 50 of all time

* "filosofem" is the #1 album hipsters love to hate to love. we all know "hvis lyset tar oss" is a lot better. regardless, i do think "filosofem" also belongs on the top 50 because it is pretty phenomenal

* lmao, blackwater park

* at least people have finally figured out that "in the nightside eclipse" is better than anthems

* seasons in the abyss is crappy uninspired tired old man thrash bullshit, it recycles old riffs poorly and the production is shit. south of heaven was the last good slayer. i am willing to die on this hill.

I agree with these points. I love Black Sabbath but these albums should not be anywhere near the "top 10 of all time". It is outrageous to see them as the top 3 on a list of 50.

Its true that Ashes isn't a spectacular album. It has plenty of those 10/10 Agalloch moments but doesn't really pull it off throughout the entire listening experience. Anyone who rates this over The Mantle or PF is false and incorrect. If you forget about Serpent, then Ashes is easily their "worst" release.

Blackwater Park is a good album but shouldn't be on the list. Orchid is a personal "top 50 ever" but I wouldn't expect to see it rated that high by fans worldwide. MAYH should be on this list and I'm pretty sad that it isn't.

Nightside Eclipse is the greatest black metal album of all time. Anthems is truly something special but its simply too busy at times. After the intro track it's pretty much FULL ON BALLS TO THE WALL until the end and this can be a little fatiguing especially when you factor in the muddy production. Important: The Loss and Curse of Reverence is the best Emperor song, 10/10.

I do not like Slayer, and I never have. I seriously think they're horrible.

Albums which I own, and for the record I do think that Lateralus deserves to be in the top 10:

6. death - symbolic
8. tool - lateralus
10. judas priest - painkiller
11. iron maiden - powerslave
12. rage against the machine - rage against the machine
14. tool - aenima
15. opeth - blackwater park
17. alice in chains - dirt
18. electric wizard - dopethrone
19. iron maiden - seventh son of a seventh son
21. death - human
22. iron maiden - the number of the beast
23. opeth - still life
26. burzum - filosofem
28. death - the sound of perseverance
39. death - individual thought patterns
41. isis - panopticon
42. mercyful fate - don’t break the oath
43. morbid angel - altars of madness
44. ulver - bergtatt
45. mastodon - crack the skye
46. judas priest - sad wings of destiny
47. darkthrone - a blaze in the northern sky
49. faith no more - angel dust

Anyone who rates this over The Mantle or PF is false and incorrect

True even if grandma's ashes and bones score big time. Still not top 50 regardless.

Faustian Echoes is probably my most listened to Agalloch record these past ten years. But don't let me digress.

I have 17 of the albums listed on physical.

The lack of heavy metal is kinda surprising. Priest and Maiden, that's it. Surprised to not see Bodom or some Viking band on there. Thought there'd be some euro power metal too

Maiden should definitely be in the top 10. Probably Powerslave or Seventh Son, although Piece of Mind is up there for me.

WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE SYMBOLIC SO FUCKING MUCH

All caps, no punctuation. That's how much that album confuses me.