rateyourmusic top 50 metal of all time

Also- if you think "Painkiller" is better than "Powerslave", then you can GTFOORC.

Storm of the Light's Bane is probably the true #1 on this list of 50 albums.

The Sound of Perseverance really shouldn't be on here either (and I'm pretty outraged by the lack of King Diamond)

I own 40 out of 50 of those. Probably 5 or 6 are in my Top 50 Metal list, sure. I also think that Jane Doe is a terrible album by an awful band but I still own it, for whatever reason.

I also agree that it has too much Black Sabbath. I fucking LOVE Black Sabbath, all eras, including Tony Martin. I never stopped listening to Sabbath, they have never been a phase, and forever a part of who I am. In fact I taught myself how to play Solitude just last night. And then I cranked the fuzz to jam on Electric Funeral (which I taught myself 25 years ago). But still. Pick the best one and move on to another band. That would be Volume 4 for me personally, although sometimes it is the debut. It is never Master of Reality, I do know that for absolute certain.

It's like those album lists that have the Beatles taking up half the Top 10 spots. That's just fucking stupid. Everybody knows their best is Abbey Road because the White Album is a jumbled mess.

I mean that's not what a collective list like this RYM thingy is, but still. There's my bitch session about Lists. Thanks for the opportunity.

Last edited:
19. iron maiden - seventh son of a seventh son (The one early Maiden album I haven't gotten into)
25. boris - boris at last -feedbacker- (never heard)
28. death - the sound of perseverance (sold)
32. dissection - storm of the light’s bane (sold)
35. agalloch - ashes against the grain (sold along with ashes and bone)
40. immolation - close to a world below (sold)
43. morbid angel - altars of madness (never got into MA)
47. darkthrone - a blaze in the northern sky (never got into Darkthrone)
48. bolt thrower - those once loyal (never got into BT)
50. dismember - like an ever flowing stream (never got around to buying it)

I was wrong. Now that I'm home, I checked it against my collection and I own 40. Many of these 10 I have owned before but have since sold.

Let's be honest, these lists are ghey & lying.

Reactions: Ellestin
I'm a Boris fan and I don't even know that album. But they release 200 things a year so who knows. I have 3 total and it's more than enough.

Boris live >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Boris album

Reactions: Krilons Resa
6. death - symbolic (fuck this album, I've sold it twice.)
10. judas priest - painkiller (I only have pre-1981 Priest but I will buy this some day, I like what I've heard.)
25. boris - boris at last -feedbacker- (no idea what this one is and I like Boris.)
27. rainbow - rising (I have not gotten into Rainbow beyond a few YooToob journeys... which were fun!)
28. death - the sound of perseverance (I love Human and Control Denied... I have zero interest in hearing this one.)
30. gorguts - obscura (been on my list To Buy for about 10 years now.)
33. opeth - ghost reveries (fuckin' shitty album, no thanks.)
40. immolation - close to a world below (I have two Immolation albums that both rule, don't know this one tho.)
45. mastodon - crack the skye (fuck Mastodon, I have 3 of their albums and they all suck.)
48. bolt thrower - those once loyal (I agree with Erik, a very average band.)

And there you have it.

CORRECTION: I just checked my shelves and it turns out I do have Cracke the Skye. That's how much it sucks, I don't even know I own it! I'll listen to it today.

6. death - symbolic (fuck this album, I've sold it twice.)

lol. I've bought and sold a few albums more than once and it always pisses me off. I buy it again thinking I will appreciate it. Rarely happens. One that comes to mind is the band Suiakra's early shit. It's right up my alley but I could never get into it.

Come to think of it, I bet I've sold a few Death albums more than once. Average at best.

No not the whale one, it was the Blood Mountain album. That thing blew my fuckin' dick off for about 3 weeks, and then I never listened to it again. I mean, ever. It was a really weird and brief phase.

Typically when I re-purchase an album I tend to get it into and think "wow why did I ditch this?!" That did not happen with Symbolic.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
I remember liking that one, but only heard it a few times. I have Leviathan, Blood Mountain, and apparently Cracke thee Skye.

I have a weird love/hate relationship with Mastodon. Every so often they really click with me and I find them great, but it is rare. Most of the time they just annoy the piss out of me. I refer to them as Anti-Metal because I mean technically yes they are metal, but practically no they are fucking not.

Maybe it's their haircuts. Yeah, I'm that shallow.

No not the whale one, it was the Blood Mountain album. That thing blew my fuckin' dick off for about 3 weeks, and then I never listened to it again. I mean, ever. It was a really weird and brief phase.

Typically when I re-purchase an album I tend to get it into and think "wow why did I ditch this?!" That did not happen with Symbolic.

Blood Mountain is definitely "like that". It has some moments which make your jaw drop (see: Sleeping Giant) but then you just never care enough to revisit it.

Dorian style reviews for the 41 albums I have:

1. black sabbath - paranoid (I love it but rarely listen.)
2. black sabbath - master of reality (overrated.)
3. black sabbath - black sabbath (possibly their best!)
4. metallica - ride the lightning (their best, indeed.)
5. metallica - master of puppets (their second best by 3 pubic hairs.)
7. megadeth - rust in peace (this is my #1 metal album ever.)
8. tool - lateralus (arguably their best.)
9. slayer - reign in blood (their best, historically.)
11. iron maiden - powerslave (likely my #1 Maiden but it is hard to choose. I also own an action figure of Pharaoh Eddie.)
12. rage against the machine - rage against the machine (this is a great album that has nothing at all to do with metal.)
13. black sabbath - sabbath bloody sabbath (has their best and worst material, all within the same song!)
14. tool - aenima (this was my #1 album ever for a long, long time. I still love it, just not as much as before.)
15. opeth - blackwater park (I have a love/hate relationship with this one, but usually love it.)
16. converge - jane doe (garbage.)
17. alice in chains - dirt (Top 5 album fo sho.)
18. electric wizard - dopethrone (Top 5 metal album.)
19. iron maiden - seventh son of a seventh son (used to hate, now I love.)
20. kyuss - kyuss/welcome to sky valley (first there was Sabbath. then there was Kyuss.)
21. death - human (their best that I know.)
22. iron maiden - the number of the beast (not my favoUrite of their classic era, but has my #1 song.)
23. opeth - still life (their best.)
24. black sabbath - vol. 4 (#1 Sabbath for me.)
26. burzum - filosofem (probably my favoUrite Burzum, but Hvis lyset tar oss is better.)
29. cryptopsy - none so vile (I just got this a few weeks ago lol.)
31. neurosis - through silver in blood (believe the hype.)
32. dissection - storm of the light’s bane (Top 5 metal album.)
34. deftones - white pony (has aged very, very poorly.)
35. agalloch - ashes against the grain (I still think it's great.)
36. emperor - in the nightside eclipse (second half is better than the first.)
37. slayer - seasons in the abyss (their best, personally.)
38. emperor - anthems to the welkin at dusk (first half is better than the second.)
39. death - individual thought patterns (ends with a fretless bass solo COME ON \m/ ).
41. isis - panopticon (overrated and underrated at the same time.)
42. mercyful fate - don’t break the oath (best album cover in heavy metal history.)
43. morbid angel - altars of madness (not even my Top 5 Morbid Angel.)
44. ulver - bergtatt (#3 album of all time, regardless of genre.)
45. mastodon - crack the skye (not very good.)
46. judas priest - sad wings of destiny (46 on this list? fucking really?!)
47. darkthrone - a blaze in the northern sky (their best easily, and I love a lot of Darkthrone.)
49. faith no more - angel dust (Top 5 album fo sho.)
50. dismember - like an ever flowing stream (SKIN HER FUCKING ALIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!)

you know, i have literally zero Burzum (and Darkthrone and Mayhem). I need to fix that. It seems like I would enjoy it these days. I will listen at work tonight.