Bands with Girl Singers?

ARCH ENEMY!!!!!!!!!!!

november grief as well.

if you are interested in chics in extreme metal, you should check out "the awakening" compilation. some killer shit on there
~gR~

There's a Japanese band called Shadow, whose lead singer is a female who doesn't sound very female. Does anyone on this board know if they have a website yet?

shadow= a bad japanese version of arch enemy
yellow machine gun is another japanese chic metal band. sort of a thrashy thing. not too great
~gR~

alas, eric rutans band....give it a try... even if you don't like the singing theres some really good guitar in there.

oops, sorry, just seen that Stoner Sioux mentioned them, didnt spot that
does anyone remember italian avantgarde black metal band Evol? they had a female singer ..
also there are a few of my female friends in metal bands,
from the ashes used to have a female singer, who is now in a band called life in their shadows, who i was in for a while, but had to give up through lack of time
munt viktim (full on goregrind) has a female singer as one of the vocalists..
broken oath, a band from scotland have, lee is about 5 foot tall, tiny frame and roars like a lunatic

First, I am going to recommend a band that is NOT metal. My Bloody Valentine. Now, that said, I think they will definitely appeal to fans of such bands as any of those old gothic metal bands with female vocalists. They are characterized by a combination of loud abrasive, but hypnotic, guitars mixed with a dreamy, drugged out almost lush symphonic sound. It's quite breathtaking, and absolutely inspiring. Get their album Loveless, it's easily one of the best rock albums of the 90s. It was an instant classic, and the popular indie rock zine Pitchfork Media gave it the best album of the 90s award, and I come very close to agreeing, especially in the realm of female led rock.

That said, you should get these bands for more of the metal spectrum:

Maudlin of the Well

Now, they don't have female lead vocals, and they have a vast majority of male vocals, but when they have female vocals it is absolutely inspiring, especially in songs like Girl with a Watering Can and Blight of River Systems.

Also,

The Gathering

They have already been mentioned, but The Gathering's metal albums with Anneke (Mandylion and Nighttime Birds) are by far the best metal albums with lead female vocals, and their new material is also quite inspiring.

Also, I believe some of the Unholy album Gracefallen had female vocals, and that album is absolutely mandatory if you like doom metal at all. But, if you like doom metal, you probably already have it. Regardless, it is a twisted and nightmarish journey into a pure aural hell. Recommended without hesitation.

Draconian are another band that I forgot to mention in my earlier post.

Similar style to the others I posted, although perhaps with slightly more of a doom edge than some. Unfortunately, I don't think they actually have a full length out yet, although they should be recording very soon. Their EP is fantastic though.