Bands with the most creative riffing

no, images and words is actually a decent album. the problem is that you like symphony x.

:lol::lol:

Even as a former prog metal fanboy I never really liked symphony x, they have way less song variety than dream theater, most of their choruses adhere strictly to "powerchords with the root palm muted in between with some stupid power metal sing along vocal melody," their singer is even worse than james labrie (the first track on "the odyssey" is an especially good example of his awfulness), most of their heavy riffs sound practically identical and sound like they listened to too much pantera, they have about 2 guitar tones and the heavy one sounds like shit, the guy's guitar solos are even more mindless wank sessions than petrucci and 90% of them are just tapping freakouts, they write songs with choruses like 'PHAROAH'S CURSE UPON YOU!,' they're gigantic fatasses, etc

They're better than evergrey tho

Reactions: RedinTheSky
Not really - Iced Earth uses triplets to achieve the effect, Maiden usually doesn't.

Actually, that guy is pretty much correct. A triplet divides a beat into three even parts. The technique that Maiden uses to achieve the "galloping" effect is to divide a beat into two equal parts and one part that is equal to the sum of the other two parts. So typically it's the following pattern: eighth note, sixteenth note, sixteenth note.

What Iced Earth does (assuming that we're talking about the same thing here) is the same "galloping" technique that I described above; it's just sped up, A LOT. Sometimes there is some variation on this technique in the case of Iced Earth but the idea is essentially the same as with Maiden. Of course, when Iced Earth uses this technique, the overall effect is way different than the one you hear when Maiden uses it.

Even as a former prog metal fanboy I never really liked symphony x, they have way less song variety than dream theater, most of their choruses adhere strictly to "powerchords with the root palm muted in between with some stupid power metal sing along vocal melody," their singer is even worse than james labrie (the first track on "the odyssey" is an especially good example of his awfulness), most of their heavy riffs sound practically identical and sound like they listened to too much pantera, they have about 2 guitar tones and the heavy one sounds like shit, the guy's guitar solos are even more mindless wank sessions than petrucci and 90% of them are just tapping freakouts, they write songs with choruses like 'PHAROAH'S CURSE UPON YOU!,' they're gigantic fatasses, etc

There's only two things in here that I agree with... they're gigantic fatasses and they're better than evergrey... :D Other than that I agree with RedInTheSky, Symphony X are a great band, their instrumental sections often work better (DT are better musicians IMO, but Symphony X create a more cohesive song most of the time...) and Michael Romeo is a very underrated guitarist, and reminds me quite a bit of Jason Becker in some of the more emotional solos... :worship: They're all very good musicians, although yes, their lyrics are cheesey, but it's nice to escape all the politics and whinging in music and just enjoy the medievalness and fantasy of their songs... :)

hahahahahahahaha medievalness

That's right, I thought you'd enjoy that. Stick that quote in yer signature. :heh:

You guys are the ones with no more description than "cheesey" that's just gay and doesn't mean anything... Don't you guys mock it for being cheesey and then say "this is a musical discussion, go to your supermarket sample blah blah..." You're the ones who brought that term into this discussion... :mad:

Whah? Evergrey > Symphony X anyday!

Whah? Evergrey > Symphony X anyday!

All their albums sound pretty much the same and they get really tiresome really quickly (too much whining), also their music tends to be more uninteresting anyway. I used to kind of like them but realized every time a new album came out (like, once every 6 months it seemed) it would be practically identical to the previous and then I realized I didn't really like them in the first place.