Bands you feel are overrated

To say "An odd duck" is still insulting lol. I would think most of the fanbase finds their songs engaging, or they wouldn't be listening eh?

This means absolutely nothing. Don't think that taking lessons in music theory actually makes your opinion on anything more valid.

Wasn't merely music theory, but yes, for the most part music is an opinion based subject within which no degree of education can falsify an 'opinion'. However it can assist in sniffing out the bullshit / misinformation in statements like those you had presented.

The point would be argued on the front of a few of the acts you mention, all in all having nothing to do with Opeth, but simply pointing out inaccurate terms thrown around by people attempting detract from an act they don't enjoy.

I think mentioning more of metal bands that are overrated makes sense, I guess more legit overrated metal bands that you can't really understand what is good about. There's plenty of just random crappy bands,metalcore,deathcore, and bands within metal. Not worth bringing up. Devildriver do not have much of a status in the realm of metal bands regardless being a metal band. As in the band is directed more at the people who liked previous projects band members were involved in. Majority of their fanbase is nu-metal fans. And whether or not nu-metal is actually metal is another thing.

I definitely wasn't saying they're metal heavyweights or anything. However...I seldom have conversations about metal without somebody bringing them up. And recently I've seen their name headlining tours with some bands I'd actually see. So I just wanted to throw that hat into the ring.

More mainstream bands receive alot of praise from critics and fans so I can understand when people come on here and say so and so band is overrated. For instance the Devildriver thing above me. Theres a difference between what the people on here think is overrated and what someone who is maby just starting to listen to metal or someone who doesn't listen to alot of more underground stuff thinks is overrated. You have to take into consideration where they're coming from.

Someone in highschool just starting to get into metal would probably think bands like Slipknot, Trivium ect ect are overrated, which is understandable due to the fact that they're probably surrounded by a bunch of annoying little shits who drool over the latest thing on the cover of Kerrang.

I'm new to the forum here on a recommendation from one of the staff writers, who I've known for years IRL. So I'm completely unaware of what is praised (Or rather over-praised) here. All I have to go on are my personal experiences, and in them I hear Devil Driver far too often.

These probably have all been said but I'll say em anyway, Cannibal Corpse, Dimmu Borgir, Machinehead, Slipknot (tho I don't hate em as much as everyone on this forum seems to), Korn, any nu-metal band that sold more then 7 copies of an album really.

I feel bad for Acrassicauda. I watched that documentary about them and they seemed like honest people and they went through a lot of shit that most of us can't even fathom, but they're just...not good. I feel like buying their album just as an act of charity.

I completely agree. I would never want to go through what they had to and don't try to downplay that at all. Musically I think it's a pile of garbage and based on musical merit they are far beyond overrated. They just played a show somewhat near me and I was asked five times if I was going. I got the same "come on these guys have real potential!" response to my no every time I gave it.

Bands such as Iron Maiden & Metallica are starting to really go mainstream into the horrid 'pop' culture.