Bands you feel are overrated

How anybody can possibly describe Far Away from the Sun as a simplified version of Dissection is really beyond me. If anything, it would be a more complex version of Dissection with nearly all of the heavy metal influences atrophied away. To say that one is more complex than another is by no means to say that one is better than the other, regardless. And I still think it's ridiculous that one has to be brought up any time the other is as though they're inseparably intertwined.

I completely agree with this. Honestly, I don't see the similarity at all, and I agree about the heavy metal influence being almost nonexistent in Sacramentum's album. It is almost 100% blustery, blurred death/black/dark/melodic/whatever metal and it's excellent at that. Sometimes the transitions are choppy and the rhythm section is occasionally hilarious (the spazzy dance beats in "Fog's Kiss" for instance) but it's basically an awesome album and it is almost completely different from Dissection.

If they would have made more albums of the same calibur I wouldn't call them overrated.

I basically presume, that if they would have made more albums before Jon got imprisoned, all the albums would have been at least as good as Storm or Somberlain :lol:

The only parts of their songs I can tolerate are the guitar solos, but I think there is much much better out there.

A better way to compare Dissection and Sacramentum is to use the latter's The Coming of Chaos. It's sort of midway between the flowing sound of FAFTS and Dissection's more choppy heavy metal style. Even in that comparison Sacramentum comes out on top, I'd say.

Yeah I agree on Watain. Lazy, generic songwriting.

Add to that:
Opeth
Drudkh
Tsjuder
Orthrelm
Six Feet Under
Orthrelm
Mr. Bungle
Ayreon
Falconer
Horrific
Cobalt
Darkseed
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder
Bethlehem
Katatonia (excluding Dance of December Souls)
Dream Theater (excluding Images & Words)
The Project Hate
Senthil

Yeah I agree on Watain. Lazy, generic songwriting.

Really? Because that's how I would describe the majority of their contemporaries. Black metal is not exactly known for dynamic song writing. For one, Watain doesn't use the same 2 or 3drum beats on every song and second of all they know what a fucking time signature change is. Plus their music doesn't rely soley on atmosphere.

Lazy, generic songwriting.

Opeth
Drudkh
Mr. Bungle
Dream Theater (excluding Images & Words) [what about Scenes From A Memory ?]

wat.jpg

Figured I'd upset some people with that post. I can explain any of them though.

Scenes From a Memory - is okay. Decent. Not nearly as good as Images & Words though.

Figured I'd upset some people with that post. I can explain any of them though.

I usually don't argue with people regarding their taste in music, as it's a highly subjective matter, but to put "Opeth" and "lazy, generic songwriting" in the same sentence is laughable.

Orchid - Morningrise era : The antithesis of lazy songwriting. Both albums were written entirely in counterpoint. That means, two or more entirely different lead guitar melodies playing simultaneously throughout the entire fucking album, in a way that combined result of this polyphony sounds better than each melody played alone. Do you realize how hard it is to write an album like Orchid or Morningrise ?

My Arms Your Hearse - Still Life era :

"lazy songwriting" my ass !

Blackwater Park - Deliverance era : Progressive/psychedelic rock influences while maintaining an death metal edge, and they pulled it off masterfully. If anything, the fusing space rock with death metal is adventurous, rather than "lazy" and "generic".

Damnation : Amazing soft rock effort. "Generic" applies here, but certainly not lazy.

Ghost Reveries - Watershed : Although I like both albums, but I'd say that calling them "lazy and generic" is arguable here, but definitely does not apply to Opeth as a whole.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, there are no grounds for calling Opeth lazy and generic. Their sound has always been very original, and they are always trying to integrate new elements into their music (though I'm not crazy about everything they've brought to their sound, they deserve credit for always challenging themselves and not sicking with the status quo.