Bass Cabinet Miking + Recording

Kazrog

Kazrog, Inc.
Mar 6, 2002
California
kazrog.com
About to do some reamping through my bassist's Ampeg rig. Any advice? We're going to try out a variety of mics (Audix i5, D6, Sennheiser MD421, etc.) into a Neve EQ/preamp.

I always drive the rig with a slightly dirtier sound than I would for my live tone and blend the mic track with a DI track. I tend to cut the lows and low-mids on the amp track as I find distorted bottom end tends to lose some of it's punchiness. In terms of speakers like 10's rather than 15's or 18's for metal stuff and close mic with a 57 directly at the best sounding cone only about an 1-1.5 inches away. I don't go for any room ambience as it just tends to lose definition.

I'm interested to hear/try the distressor, but it is expensive. We got some great tracks today, and the Audix D6 beat the other mics we tried by a substantial margin!

Thanks for the tips!

^ amen to that

i rent distressors for $250 AUD a week i think it's reasonable and u really feel the difference using it for vox and bass when it comes to mixdown

Neve + distressor for vocals = pure sonic magic

don't really use distressors for guitars unless it's rockier stuff

metal distortion + EMGS + tubescreamer boost is enough compression already , i've tried using the distressors for heavy guitars but didn't feel like it added a lot

Kazrog said:
I'm interested to hear/try the distressor, but it is expensive. We got some great tracks today, and the Audix D6 beat the other mics we tried by a substantial margin!

Thanks for the tips!

Try an I5 on axis/dead center and a D6 a few inches out and blend... the D6 will give you the low end and the I5 will help it cut through..