Bass Guitar VST?? Trilogy??

kramer1309

Apr 30, 2008
India
Hey, ive been looking for a good bass guitar VST which i can drop on a midi track that sounds good... Know any of them?
I tried a few soundfonts but didn't find what i was looking for.

I was looking at "Spectrasounds Trilogy" and was wondering whether it would be able to Drop tunings (c and a#)?
I ask because i tried the cubase studio instruments pack at a friends place and it sounds decent but for it is unable to play a midi file in a drop tuning (from guitar pro)... So anyone know whether trilogy can do it? Their samples on the website sound nice...

Thanks

@Mancha : So i wont be able to play 5 stringers through that then?

@Zuranthus: I tried the demo for broomstick bass... loaded the vst onto the bass track in the sequencer and my bass line was replaced with their automated player - i couldn't get it to play the bass line i had written out - any ideas on how to do that?... it sounded good though

Spectrasonics Trilogy can play any reasonable (and unreasonable) note. It's the best bass guitar synth I've used, but it's far from a real bass still. Broomstick Bass was horrendously crappy, it only has *one fucking octave* (sheesh!), ie. it is useless for anything. I won't even get to Steinberg Virtual Bass... all I can say: WTF?!? :zombie: Oh and the "Bass Guitar" preset on Subtractor in Reason 3.0/4.0 is relatively decent too, though not quite as good as Trilogy.

+1. It sounds even better through something like Ampeg SVX or with a Guitar Rig bass preset. It has awesome articulation too though I never use more than basic note triggering. The articulations are really cool but since I just use it for arranging and jamming with I don't get real fancy with all the slap/pop, staccato, slides, bends, etc.

@Zuranthus: I tried the demo for broomstick bass... loaded the vst onto the bass track in the sequencer and my bass line was replaced with their automated player - i couldn't get it to play the bass line i had written out - any ideas on how to do that?... it sounded good though

In Broomstick it has a manual mode ( which plays whatever notes are on the MIDI track you assign it to ) and it has another mode that will try to do some fancy chord-reading and auto accompany. The button for manual mode is right in the middle of the main screen.

Broomstick Bass was horrendously crappy, it only has *one fucking octave* (sheesh!), ie. it is useless for anything.
FWIW I've used Broomstick down to C ( which I think is it's lowest note ) and up at least 2 octaves to harmonize a guitar run or two.

Ok, I just checked, and B is the lowest note Trilogy plays.
There are 4,5 and 6 string models, but they all play B as the lowest.

I used Broomstick as well, and I really liked their fretless model, but Trilogy is simply much better when it comes to non-fretless models.

trilogy's like 20GB though...i find that excessive for one instrument, & it really doesn't sound that much better. in a mix i doubt you could tell

@metallyGuitarded : i tried the boomstick bass demo and put the manual mode on but playback stopped !?! so i dunno what happened there?

btw: trilogy takes up 3.9GB according to the website so... :p

Ok, I just checked, and B is the lowest note Trilogy plays.
There are 4,5 and 6 string models, but they all play B as the lowest.

Here's a Trilogy clip I just did where the lowest notes go down to B -1 (minus one). A five-string bass' lowest B is B1, ie. the lowest notes in the clip below are TWO octaves below what a standard tuned 5-string bass is capable of, or something ridiculous, which far lower than anyone in their right mind would tune anything :lol: I guess the fundamentals are somewhere around 5..10 Hz :zombie:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/juhau/trilogy.mp3

Really?
could you post a sample of what you mean...
though i probably wont be using 16ths at 160 bpm but still...