bass vst?

I think the OP may be looking for a VSTi rather than a VST - something like Broomstick Bass - not sure, but that was my read on the question.

Could also try something like Cakewalk Studio Instruments which includes a bass madule as well as drums, strings, and electric piano.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmQT534K3VE&feature=player_profilepage[/ame]

Or Virtual Bassist - seems quite nice, however never used it myself.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-3Xtwj8M8c&feature=related[/ame]

One of these might be an option to program bass lines and play them back if you are looking for programmed bass lines rather than bass modeling. But then again, you could always use them and run the resulting tracks through something like Ampeg SVX or the POD bass model pack.

VSTi - east west Harcore bass, Trilogy, Scarbee, Broombastick - all is samlebased library.
also i know Boobass from frooty loops, and i've heard that clawfinger bass library from reason is good enough.

I've found that DirectBass 2.0 by Pettinhouse is the best out there. I've tried everything and that library seems to sound like the most realistic choice. Drop tuning, round-robin sampling, keyswitching, and 5 pickup positions. All of his products are actually quite fantastic and totally worth the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking about the direct bass 2.0 for a month or so, just because I believe it might be good for modeling. anyone oppose? lol I have to say the direct guitar sounds alright, but idk I'll try it out later to see how it sounds on podfarm, I like playing guitar better. It'll sound to cheesy with vsti bass drums and guitar.

Hey maybe they'll come out with vsti direct vocals so we don't actually have to mic anything. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I'm sounding like a Pettinhouse fanboy here, but the guitar library he puts out is really awesome. I haven't tried out the Humbucker version yet but DirectGuitar puts out some really nice clean sounds. It doesn't work great for distorted sounds (unless spending a good amount of time programming keyswitches) but as for using this library with a nice clean sound in Amplitube or the likes, it can't be beat! I've actually used it on production tracks for TV/Radio...you really can't tell the difference (IMO it sounds better than my guitar!).

yeah, that is always the thing about vsti guitar is the countless hours making it sound realistic by putting in velocities. Do you think podfarm can be used as a vst modeler for directbass?

Totally agree about buying the cheap bass but in my scenario, it's a lot easier to keep it as digital as possible. I write a lot of production music and score sheets are almost always mandatory with the audio. So what I do is just write my music in Guitar Pro 5, transport it to Reason/Kontakt for synths or sample libraries, take it into Reaper/Ableton, record the live tracks, and then it's done. I try to only mimic instruments that can be realistically sampled.

Distorted guitar is the only thing I wouldn't do on a production track but in the past, I have done it using LPC by Prominy and Overdrive by Vienna. Most of the clean guitar I use in songs is processed through DirectGuitar w/Amplitube 2. It really does sound better than my REAL guitar and is much easier to finish up with. So yes, real instruments are better than sampled instruments but some people either have an interest in fooling the listener or just easing the workload.

Totally agree about buying the cheap bass but in my scenario, it's a lot easier to keep it as digital as possible. I write a lot of production music and score sheets are almost always mandatory with the audio. So what I do is just write my music in Guitar Pro 5, transport it to Reason/Kontakt for synths or sample libraries, take it into Reaper/Ableton, record the live tracks, and then it's done. I try to only mimic instruments that can be realistically sampled.

Writing score sheets has absolutely NOTHING to do this. If you need to write the score anyway, then you have to do it separately for the player using a real instrument, it's just an extra step and you can use the midi version to demo it but use the real instrument for the record. The decision pretty much equals "are you going to use a real steinway or just use a midi keyboard", but in the end it usually always should be the result that matters, not the convenience.

And to quote Ermz from the bullet number 5 on this: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...mz-production-tips-compendium-newer-guys.html

Ermz said:
Convenient does not equal 'better'.

It's a sad reality but you should understand that most modern production artists go for convenience over "realism". I say that loosely because most sample libraries used today are very realistic sounding and very high quality. It takes time to gather session musicians, properly mic instruments, rent studios, and on top of that pay money for all of those things.

A friend of mine is an in-house producer for a very popular weekly TV show and uses DFHS, Reason 3, and Amplitube 2 to record the songs used on the show. He swears by those products for the sake of convenience and nothing else. They sound very real because he is a seasoned producer and has an ear for making the artificial sound real. In a perfect world there would be no sudden deadlines, last minute notation edits, stubborn directors and what not. To each their own on what methods one should use...some will do it one way and others will do it another way. I'm just going by what I do and what I see amongst the people in the production music industry.

Just figured I'd mention it here guys. There will be a bass guitar suite coming from ABG that compliments the Guitar suite already in beta called G-SPOT. The bass plug will be called...what else...B-SPOT
km

Just figured I'd mention it here guys. There will be a bass guitar suite coming from ABG that compliments the Guitar suite already in beta called G-SPOT. The bass plug will be called...what else...B-SPOT
km

when is it coming out?

Well as I said G-SPOT is in Beta right now, and we just got some new testers, so, it looks like things will finally start to happen. I was having a problem with our testers not testing, which grinds our production to a halt, hell I had 4 days of doing almost nothing on it, believe me, 4 days ABG time is a lot of time wasted! So we're in version 1.07 Beta right now, so I expect this to go to Version 1.22 Beta..maybe more, but maybe another week and a half...It really depends on the testers, if the previous set would have done what they said they were gonna do this thing would already be released.

KM

Hardcore Bass is actually quite good, it's my "to go" vsti for modern sounds. If you run it into ampeg, it's quite realistic. For quick riffs it would need some inner work though.
I think it goes maxi to low B. Under that, you would need to pitch.

For groovy things, I liked Scarbee basses a friend showed me. It's worth its price.