bass overdrive pedal: killswitch engage sound

hellraiser85

Sep 1, 2007
Spain
www.myspace.com
Hi! The bassist of my band wants to buy an overdrive pedal to get this metal sound of bands like Killswitch Engage, In Flames, etc. Which are the best options???? I only know the boss ODB3, and I don't know if it's good to get that metal overdrive bass sound...

on the in flames dvd for the making of a sense of purpose, you see peter using, what i think is, a dime mxr dist pedal as one of his overdrives they were trying out whilst trackin, dunno what the other stuff was

peterpedals.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the bassist from KSE runs through a SansAmp pedal. Don't know what is used on the recordings though. A rackmount SansAmp PSA1.1 is probably your best bet though.

Yea I'd go with the Sansamp pedal for live use... I know they like to use the Pro Co Rat pedal for some distorted bass sounds at Zing studio for tracking purposes from my past interning and recording sessions Ive done there... That pedal tends to be a bit warmer sounding and not as growly as the Sansamp... A Tubescreamer or similar copy (like the Maxon or BBE models) adds a nice growl as well... Id give those 3 pedals a good test run and see what does the best job...

I'd say: stay away from the Boss Bass Overdrive ... it just adds like a layer of fizz over the sound, no real crunch. A Marshall Jackhammer, while is not awesome or something on guitar, does a great job on bass, is very tweakable, plus its cheap as shit. Way better than the Boss pedal. Haven't tried the sansamp, but seems like everybody loves it.

cheers!

If he wants the best pedal for a dirty bass tone for me it has to be the Tech 21 VT Bass. It's like the Sansamp Bassdriver but actually has mid's!! Set to the "Rage" setting will give you the sound of a cranked SVT being driven with a rat style distortion. I've spent over 3yrs searching for the perfect bass overdrive pedal for the your bassist is looking for (think Mike D, Sharlee D'Angelo, Marco Heitala) and this blows everything else out of the water.

If he wants the best pedal for a dirty bass tone for me it has to be the Tech 21 VT Bass. It's like the Sansamp Bassdriver but actually has mid's!! Set to the "Rage" setting will give you the sound of a cranked SVT being driven with a rat style distortion. I've spent over 3yrs searching for the perfect bass overdrive pedal for the your bassist is looking for (think Mike D, Sharlee D'Angelo, Marco Heitala) and this blows everything else out of the water.

this man knows his shit... do what he says

Hmm, hadn't heard about that VT Bass gizmo, but it looks pretty f'n sweet! Are there any advantages the BDDI has over it in terms of utilities, though? I read that the VT Bass can be used direct into a recording console or (more importantly for me) straight into a PA, but is it a balanced TRS output? (cuz it looks like the only output is a 1/4" jack). I guess I should just get a good dedicated active DI box and then I can run this VT Bass into it, but the fact that the BDDI can do both still is pretty sweet...really though, as long as the VT Bass can reliably have a cable run a pretty long distance to a PA without much (if any) noise/tone loss, and for $50 less than the BDDI, then I'm sold!

better "tube" tone than the SA Bass Driver and the RBI too, but you need an external DI, yes.

works great straight into a power amp too. live use, with some tweaking cuts very well in the mix.

not for super heavy distortions anyway, but I had fun coupling it with a podx3 live [splitting the signal].

A.