Bathory

waif

Sep 7, 2007
Montreal
Any fans?
I love them (actually, him).
I got into Amon Amarth because I really liked Bathory and In Flames, so I was looking for some new Viking Metal and also some more Melodic Death Metal. And then...Viking Melodic Death Metal. And I said, "hey...what's this?" And then I said "Ohh...that's what it is." And then I bought all their albums...

But I digress...anyone else really dig Bathory? I'm curious...does anyone have Blood On Ice? Thinking about acquiring it, but it ain't cheap. I want to make sure it's worth my money.

I only have Nordland I, im still to pick up his older stuff.

Nordland really kicks some spectacular ass.

Good to know...and of course I have Hammerheart. One Rode To Asa Bay is basically the greatest song ever.
How is the sound on Return of Darkness and Evil? It's the only album that was recorded in an even halfway decent studio...

I own all the Bathory cd's (rip Quorthon) and I love every single one.
Bathory,The Return of Darkness and Evil,Under the Sign of the Black Mark,Blood Fire Death,Hammerheart,Twilight of the Gods,Requiem,Octagon,Blood on Ice,Destroyer of Worlds and Nordland I & II
Quorthon was a great influence for viking and black metal..

Vindland,Ring of Gold,Vinterblod and Shores in Flames are my fav songs,some soft parts and brutal ones aswell.

Bathory is one of my favourite bands, my favourite albums are Blood Fire Death, Hammerheart, and Twilight of the Gods.

By the way, Bathory never made death metal.

What have you heard?
There are several distinct sounds...
The old school black metal (early), the raw Viking metal (mid), and the raw Viking metal with some semblance of production (later), plus stuff like Octagon and Requiem.

Anyone heard Quorthon's solo stuff?

Not familiar with their stuff...
looking at Metal Archive page...they look really goofy...
like a really gr1m thrash band.
On their myspace...
Listening to samples....sounds good. Not what I expected - lots of death metal in there...
Vocals pretty solid. So far so good...tasteful keys.
I like it. Might get something.