BATTLE OF THE THRASH METAL BANDS (ROUND OF 64 VOTING THREAD)

Where do you meet all these people that hated thrash? Why do you associate with them and care about their opinions?

Like I said, they were already very well known on various websites. The fact that you think they were obscure on the internet before 10 years ago shows that your previous home of IGN wasn't a very good source of underground metal. fwiw I didn't like Infernal Majesty that much until maybe 5-ish years ago, but I certainly knew of them and had given them a few tries.

In my experience, the retro thrash thing that happened around 10-15 years ago did good and bad for the genre. The "pizza thrash" bands that came out and Sodom wannabes got big but many other people hated them with a passion and since those bands made a sort of "cartoonish" portrait of thrash, people started to listen the old thrash albums and started to shake out the nostalgia and heard the defects from many albums and bands.

Some of the classics weren't that good, among those, Exodus.

Where do you meet all these people that hated thrash? Why do you associate with them and care about their opinions?

Like I said, they were already very well known on various websites. The fact that you think they were obscure on the internet before 10 years ago shows that your previous home of IGN wasn't a very good source of underground metal. fwiw I didn't like Infernal Majesty that much until maybe 5-ish years ago, but I certainly knew of them and had given them a few tries.

you didnt have them rated on rym until 2013 :lol:

And i never said they're obscure, but im glad that's how you took it. Says a lot about how much of a rookie you actually are. But then again when i joined this forum you were fellating on 3rd rate flower metal and didnt know jack shit about thrash.

Are you going to argue with the fact that their popularity has skyrocketed amongst the cool/pretentious kids in the past 10 or so years? It seems that everytime you try arguing with me, its just for the fuck of it. I am stating facts, if you say otherwise all you are doing is showcasing just how disconnected form the scene you actually were back then.

btw i never left IGN

People in real life tend to not be like "Psssshhh Exodus, I only listen to REAL TRUE THRASH like Infernal Majesty or Protector". Instead they're pretty laid back people that might gush over their favorite bands, recommend some stuff, talk about some upcoming show, etc. The kind of defective personality traits that pop up on internet forums regularly aren't that common, just like how 25%-ish of forum users are INTJs while like 1% of real-life people are.

Pretty much. I know a few who do the 'pfft, you don't listen to REAL thrash?' and they are boring as fuck with zero personality

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
Does anyone actually say anything more than "I'm not a fan" or "they're not my style" in an in-person conversation about metal?

I come here to act like a taste-making caveman.

I come here to act like a taste-making caveman.

Stop pretending like you're a caveman when you can't even into slam fagit. :D

Their 1988 demo has two near-perfect songs. If they managed a full album on par with that demo it'd go head-to-head with Killing Technology. I do like their second album a lot as well, but it's kind of strong 6/10-weak 7/10 material, a couple great songs, a bunch of solid ones, and one or two meh groove metal songs. Even their third album, while inconsistent and a bit weird in terms of production and cohesion, is worth the occasional listen for me.

That's pretty much how I feel about their sophomore, a weak 7/10. Gotta check out that '88 demo though, honestly if I'd listened to more of these bands' demos some of the voting might have been different for all I know. The reason I chose Exodus over Annihilator for example was because I like Exodus' first 3 albums and the demos I've heard (especially the one between 1st and 2nd album).

you didnt have them rated on rym until 2013 :lol:

And i never said they're obscure, but im glad that's how you took it. Says a lot about how much of a rookie you actually are. But then again when i joined this forum you were fellating on 3rd rate flower metal and didnt know jack shit about thrash.

Are you going to argue with the fact that their popularity has skyrocketed amongst the cool/pretentious kids in the past 10 or so years? It seems that everytime you try arguing with me, its just for the fuck of it. I am stating facts, if you say otherwise all you are doing is showcasing just how disconnected form the scene you actually were back then.

btw i never left IGN

Who? I have None Shall Defy rated on Dec 2011, which is basically when I joined the website in proper.

If you are so confident in your taste and expertise in metal, why do you always fall back on what random people only you have met say? You're the biggest poser here in the sense that you can't go a day without masturbating your supposed knowledge. Yeah you like what you like, clearly, to an obsessive degree even, but you're so insecure that you can't even let your opinions stand on their own, you have to invoke some invisible anonymous rando to back you up.

Yes, I have argued against that, as have others, and gave multiple examples. You haven't given a single one.

Yes, I have argued against that, as have others, and gave multiple examples. You haven't given a single one.
:lol:
None Shall Defy has 42 pages of ratings on RYM, 37 of those pages, that's THIRTY SEVEN of them, are from 2009 and onward . So yes, you can now please proceed to shut the fuck up.

You also havent given any examples outside of LOOK A FEW PEOPLE REVIEWED IT BEFORE 2010 WHICH MEANS YOU ARE WRONG AND YOU THINK IT:S SUPER OBSCURE or whatever it is your deformed little mind processed and spit out. You're a fucking retard who starts arguments with yourself in your own head. Like i said you gave zero examples and all you basically did here is act like a little bitch because i pointed out a clear fact. I never even said it's a bad album you stupid faggot just said how it got real popular in the last 10 or so years, and with it naturally came the shitload of pretentious douchers. Ones which we have plenty of here.

EDIT:
"as have others" :lol:. This guy is delusional.

Leave it to a faggot like yourself to take this whole thing where i basically said they got "popular" in the last 10 or so years and try to blow it into something personal where you're trying to take shots at me with things that have nothing to do with this conversation. Has me schooling you in the past left a few scars?

Last edited:
:lol:
None Shall Defy has 42 pages of ratings on RYM, 37 of those pages, that's THIRTY SEVEN of them, are from 2009 and onward . So yes, you can now please proceed to shut the fuck up.
I don't have the RYM ratings stats in front of me, but that seems to be a pretty common occurance for most albums.

For instance 1125 or so of the 1454 pages of ratings for Metallica - Ride the Lightning happened in the same period.

More likely due to RYM growing exponentially than people discovering Metallica I'd say.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
he doesn't have the stats in front of him yet he knows the stats to Metallicas RYM page by heart :rolleyes:

Game Over
from Nuclear Assault for example has 68 pages worth of ratings and about 20 of those pages are from 2009 and back. While what you're saying is true(and expected) to some degree, its just clearly not the case here. Anyway, i will go ahead and ask you since you seem to be so knowledgeable. Did None Shall Defy not gain a good amount of popularity in the last 10+ or so years? Anyway, im glad you decided to "come back" just to participate in these threads.

Reactions: CiG

Game Over
from Nuclear Assault for example has 68 pages worth of ratings and about 20 of those pages are from 2009 and back.
Handle with Care looks like it might be the exact opposite.

My main point is there are possibly other reasons for the increase in ratings....

Anyway, i will go ahead and ask you since you seem to be so knowledgeable. Did None Shall Defy not gain a good amount of popularity in the last 10+ or so years?
I dunno, did it? They don't get mentioned any more than most bands of their ilk in my experience. Only 626 ratings on Rateyourmusic. Wouldn't call that very popular. I guess it's a "good amount" if you're comparing to a bedroom black metal band. To be honest, I'm surprised they are even in this game. But I guess that's the nature of a small forum, bands with a small dedicated following can thrive when people get sick of the same old stuff over and over again.

They just seem like a band who released an album on a pretty established label like Roadracer/Roadrunner in the 1980s IMO, people are bound to notice eventually, especially with how easy it is to find things on the internet. Some people will really, really like it. Others will play a copy every now and then. Others will dislike that others enjoy it and get annoyed. And so on.