BATTLE OF THE THRASH METAL BANDS (ROUND OF SWEET 16 VOTING THREAD)

Fair point. I still see HB as being correct about Slayer vs Coroner. Slayer would beat most other counters but should not beat Coroner, and I say that not based on just my personal opinion but on how much respect demonstrated towards Coroner by comparison in many threads.

sounds like selective reading to me. coroner are definitely a beloved band around these parts, but moreso than slayer? slayer were not only a first ballot entry into the GMD hall of fame but got the second most votes out of every band, only one less than sabbath. coroner didn't get in until the 10th ballot. i know personnel have changed a bit since then, but c'mon, it'd be a huge upset if coroner won this match-up around here.

sounds like selective reading to me. coroner are definitely a beloved band around these parts, but moreso than slayer? slayer were not only a first ballot entry into the GMD hall of fame but got the second most votes out of every band, only one less than sabbath. coroner didn't get in until the 10th ballot. i know personnel have changed a bit since then, but c'mon, it'd be a huge upset if coroner won this match-up around here.

Well personnel have changed, but I'd figure it would be more towards "trveness". Slayer are the everyman option.Guess the trve crowd isn't so trve.

By this logic, let's call Metallica the winner already to save such useless discussions.

Metallica was an easy choice
Dark Angel by miles, I’d rather listen to them any day
Kreator vsNuclear Assault was tough. I want to say I like Nuclear Assault more, but then Kreator has songs that actually stick in my head, more memorable. For that reason I barely chose Kreator almost didn’t vote
Exodus vs Voivod this was tough as well but personal preference goes to Voivod
Megadeth vs Mekong Delta I mean, I don’t want to be that guy and start a flame war around here. And yet, Mekong delta is more my taste often these days. More progressive and incorporates interesting classical music. I’ve liked Megadeth for a longer amount of time and they were more influential, so I went with them
Overkill vs Razor. Shrug? I have no idea here but I remembered some annoyance when I saw Overkill live, and so went with razor
Slayer vs Coroner. I prefer Slayer, not that I listen to them much anymore, but in the past I listened to them more than Coroner
Testament vs Sepultura very close based on their older material. Slight edge to Testament. Based on newer material testament is better, so they win

I'd vote Mekong Delta over most bands here, but going against Megadeth is just an impossible fight. Megadeth vs Slayer will be interesting when it comes to that.

Reactions: Baroque
Yeah, I'm not convinced that a Metallica win here is a foregone conclusion by any means.

Reactions: CiG