BATTLE OF THE THRASH METAL BANDS (FINAL)

Which is the ATG thrash band?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kind of a predictable outcome, even if I disagree with it. Metallica did almost everything they experimented with well, even if some of the mixing choices weren't great. Slayer is good but not something that resonates with me anywhere near as much.

lmao fuck no.
Yeah? I'm no massive DM fan or anything, but WPB was really one-dimensional, even for Slayer standards. And when it did get a little experimental (ie. "Playing with Dolls") it just wasn't that good.

DM on the other hand had plenty of musicianship going on, most songs were longer than 6-7 minutes & there was a hell of a lot more diversity, the most we've heard on a Metallica album since AJFA.

i'm fine with trad ya. i think this time everyone should vote for a maximum of 64 bands and the ones with the most votes get in and are also seeded by number of votes, end of story, rather than the clusterfuck we had for this one.

also need to clarify what's eligible as trad--like are we including trad and epic doom, euro power, etc
I'd be fine with Euro power included knowing that it will probably make a small fraction of the bands, considering our userbase. The first three Helloween albums could probably allow them to be competitive with many USPM and NWOBHM bands, yet I don't imagine a lot of people nominating Edguy or Sonata Arctica at all. Otherwise, a Euro power metal battle would have to be pretty small, and it'd probably a Helloween vs Blind Guardian blowout anyways.

Yep, totally happy for people to continue using this thread to come to an agreement on what should, and what shouldn't, be included for a future Trad Metal battle.

Asking people to name 64 bands might be a bit much. However, I think giving people the option to name up to 64 bands would be perfectly suitable. Agree the nomination process for this first battle was a bit haphazard. We were basically making it up on the fly.

Reactions: CiG
Fair enough. It's not their best work, but definitely their best album since the Black Album.