BATTLE OF THE THRASH METAL BANDS (FINAL)

Which is the ATG thrash band?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Now you are just picking on Lars and it's unfair!
Funny thing about Lars is, at least in my opinion, his best work behind the kit can be found on Kill Em All. Seemingly he got worse & worse as time went on.

My guess is he became more & more involved in the business side of the band, to the point where he didn't even practise playing drums anymore.

Not that its an uncommon thing, I know a few people who don't practise in their own time & just rock up to gigs & play live. That, for them, is their "practise".

Lars' work on the first four albums is easily among the very best in all of metal, let alone thrash.

It really isn't. In fact Lars couldn't even play songs such as "Dyer's Eve" live.

Bill Ward, just to name one metal drummer, shits all over Lars.

Technical performance isn't really that important to metal. Many black metal bands/artists cannot play any of their material live, for example.

There are drummers of superior artistry to Lars, but not that many.

Reactions: jimmy101
I think that's a very good point & think Lars is definitely great at playing his own style. But to be fair, technicality is probably more important to metal than it is to the majority of other types of music out there.

Oh man, this is getting close. Metallica are right on Slayer's heels now.

Less than four hours until the poll closes!!

And here I was thinking it was the stupid facial expressions that made the difference.

Reactions: Slammed
He was talking about something but I wouldn't dare assume it was something as sensible as we are discussing.

Lars had a totally unique style at his peak. Off the top of my head, I only know one band (Eudoxis) that successfully emulated his style, and only one song of one a band (Angel Witch's Confused) that sounds particularly proto-Lars. Guys like Benante are totally faceless by comparison.

Yeah that's true, the top two of this BOTB should really have been Metallica and Anthrax, with Anthrax coming out as winner at the last minute after a long drawn out battle.

Reactions: CiG
I'll take an untrained ape over the perfect human kick-snare-kick-snare metronome. One can actually create art.