Bay Area Metal Scene

MrMajs

Kung
Nov 21, 2002
Gothenburg
www.beastunleashed.tk
I was wondering how the Bay Area metal scene is today. I know this isn't really Testament related, but I saw that many of you are from San Fransisco, so I thought this may be the right forum after all.

And to make to this thread it a bit more Testament related I know a good question.
Which member/ex-member had the best hair for playing metal?

vioold.jpg

AND

deanbrutal.jpg

MrMajs said:
I was wondering how the Bay Area metal scene is today. I know this isn't really Testament related, but I saw that many of you are from San Fransisco, so I thought this may be the right forum after all.

Well we still have a great scene here. We have Testament, Death Angel, Exodus, Sadus, Heathen and many many more bands. Vio-Lence who should be recording a new EP as well if all goes well. Things are happening in the Bay.

I don't know why but people always seem nostalgic when they talk about the bay area and the good old days ... I'd say things are going fucking great and you guys should consider yourselves fucking lucky to live in such a trashy place... In quebec, you go about wearing your Kreator backpatch behind your sleeveless jeans vest over your leather vest and people wonder if it's a game or a movie...

Dammit... Exodus will have the best party ever right where you guys are and I get ... well a beer and 2 friends that listen to exodus... CUZ I DON'T KNOW ANY MORE PEOPLE THAN 2 WHO EVEN HEARD THE NAME BEFORE!!!!

I'm 21 and got into metal at 5 ... I know a lot of old school stuff and I love it but my firends don't... they got into metal about 5 or 6 or maybe 10 years later than me so I feel lonely wearing my Twisted Into Form shirt while I'm listenning to some Nuclear Assault...

You guys must have had some holy water on your asses when you were baptized cuz even someone as young as Pyrus knows his shit... I mean this guys reminds me of me at his age but at least he has people to discuss bands with...

You guys have Testament, Death Angel and Exodus still going and they are fucking strong! The old-school days ... well the only difference between the old school days and today is that the scene isn't saturated anymore...

Sorry if I get touchy on this subject ... it's just that I think you are damn lucky to be in THE bay while thrash lovers like me are scattered around the planet ... craving for a good headbanging session with friends...

I wish I could share my exitement about Tempo of the Damned with someone...

I wish I could share my enthousiasme for the next nuclear Assault with at least one person...

You guys have it all cuz no matter how old you are you are bound to hear about the LOCAL scene... I bet they are teaching the bay area thrash scene's evolution in history in school :D

Now excuse me... I'll go listen to my Testament cds... wich most people over here think that Testament's debut is 1999's The Gathering...

(I don't want to offend anyone, I just want some people to realize how damn fucking lucky they are... The bay was great, is great and will forever be!)

Yeah, I consider myself blessed to have been born here - not just for the metal, but San Francisco's just a beautiful city with great food, great culture, great politics, all that shit.

The scene right now in terms of new bands isn't exactly up to the standards of the mid-80s, but there are some cool young metal bands like Osmium, The Lord Weird Slough Feg, Imagika, and more (can't think off the top of my head). There's a lot more hardcore and punkish stuff, unfortunately.

Ooh, there's my band! Burning Creation! Old school thrash! With a total of four and a half songs and NO recorded material! Go us!

Pyrus said:
Yeah, I consider myself blessed to have been born here - not just for the metal, but San Francisco's just a beautiful city with great food, great culture, great politics, all that shit.

Obviously... I'm sure it's a great place to live ... thrash or no thrah...

Pyrus said:
The scene right now in terms of new bands isn't exactly up to the standards of the mid-80s, but there are some cool young metal bands like Osmium, The Lord Weird Slough Feg, Imagika, and more (can't think off the top of my head). There's a lot more hardcore and punkish stuff, unfortunately.

Sure... maybe younger bands aren't that productive but the giants are bigger than ever...

Pyrus said:
Ooh, there's my band! Burning Creation! Old school thrash! With a total of four and a half songs and NO recorded material! Go us!

I'd love to hear that someday Pyrus!

Yep, like everyone else pointed out, its still there. Considering the fact that Exodus, Death Angel, Testament are coming out with a new album, it sure seems the scene is still alive. Imagika is another great band. But Heathen is one lazy band, those fuckers should concentrate more on Heathen than Bombthreat. Anywho, If not bayarea, there are many good metalbands comin' from places near bay area which gives a boost to the scene. Like, Artificium Sanguis (black metal), Ludicra(mostly black), Hadan (death metal), Kuru(death grind)...............................

MrMajs said:
So the hordes of melodic death bands haven't reached Bay Area yet?
Sweden's scene, reminds me of the Old Bay Area Scene, lots of bands coming up & making a name for themselves, bands know eachother, respect eachother, and come from a small area that has become World Famous.........I think Melodic Death Metal......has Thrash roots, but has taken it a step further......I for one listen to all the Swedish bands.......Until TOTT......the Bay Area Bands were for the most part on a break(or you had to wait a long time in between releases), & you can only listen to their albums over, & over again, so many times.....so I've made the transition......or evolution in my case......Sweden is a beautiful country, & I am enjoying the Hotbed of Music, that comes from their!......:hotjump:

Pyrus said:
\m/ I hear Vicious Rumors is doing a new album too, add them to the "vets" list.
That's the place for VR. Geoff's damn near 60 but colors the grey out.
VR's last couple records have been complete shite.

Current VR...

blows2.jpg

OVER MY DEAD BODY.
What's wrong with Melodic Death?