Bay Area Metal Scene

The first time I heard In Flames I thought it was completely retarded music. That analogy Pyrus gave on the subject about it sounding like Iron Maiden tunes sung by someone with a scatchy throat was a good one, and kind of what I thought at that time. At that time I was on my way to see them live with Nevermore. I was going for Nevermore because I was a HUGE Sanctuary fan and wanted to see them. I walked away from that show thinking they (In Flames) were pretty good live, but nothing special. I just didn't think they were heavy enough (keep in mind..the music I was used to hearing with that type of vocals was bands like Obituary, Entombed, Etc...) But as I listened to them more and more I really began to enjoy them. It was kind of a light hearted, easy to listen to, different type of music. Now they are one of my favorite bands. I went out and bought loads of similar bands cds after that...and I have now played that genre until I can't stand it once again! I'm bored to tears with it and avoid all those cds at all cost! Someday I will probably be able to listen to it again with the same enjoyment as I once had...but for now give me complicated, crazy, and extremely progressive music...either that or old school, groovy Death metal. That's where my heart's at these days!!

MindInsane said:
The first time I heard In Flames I thought it was completely retarded music. That analogy Pyrus gave on the subject about it sounding like Iron Maiden tunes sung by someone with a scatchy throat was a good one, and kind of what I thought at that time. At that time I was on my way to see them live with Nevermore. I was going for Nevermore because I was a HUGE Sanctuary fan and wanted to see them. I walked away from that show thinking they (In Flames) were pretty good live, but nothing special. I just didn't think they were heavy enough (keep in mind..the music I was used to hearing with that type of vocals was bands like Obituary, Entombed, Etc...) But as I listened to them more and more I really began to enjoy them. It was kind of a light hearted, easy to listen to, different type of music. Now they are one of my favorite bands. I went out and bought loads of similar bands cds after that...and I have now played that genre until I can't stand it once again! I'm bored to tears with it and avoid all those cds at all cost! Someday I will probably be able to listen to it again with the same enjoyment as I once had...but for now give me complicated, crazy, and extremely progressive music...either that or old school, groovy Death metal. That's where my heart's at these days!!

Funny... I actually went through the exact opposite... They intrigues me at first because I thought they were very original and refreshing... The first song I heard from them was Graveland wich is pretty thrashy so it was headbang at first listen... However, their music became cheesy and repetitive to me... I listenned to them up to Colony where the bored me plenty...

Their music is like the pre-school of anger... It's cute at worst... As Pyrus pointed out, that mixture of melody and death is too paradoxal to enjoy... at least for me. I don't know if it's a bunch of happy dudes trying to sound pissed or a bunch of brutal mothers trying to sound happy...

I still listen to Jester Race... I mostly enjoy it but I tend to skip songs... Wich brings me back to the original topic of this thread... I'm a thrasher, always have been, always will be... Whenever a thrash cd gets into my car/stereo/cpu... it won't come off for a couple of days... Be it Fabulous Disaster or Forbidden Evil... I still find some notes here and there I didn't notice... Thrash is a very versatile kind of music cuz there is always something that gets past you!

Like... the other day, I was listenning to Fabulous Disaster, the song, and I had never noticed how Tom does ride triplets over his bass drum triplets in the riff at about 50 seconds in the song... I know it's pretty stupid but it took me about 15 years to hear this... It made me fall in love all over!

Enough about thrash... If I really want to hear some death... I'll go with good'old Morbid Angel or Pestilence... Monstrosity kicks too! Those are bands whose music is fueled with anger and rage... channeled through an undeniable passion and it shows in both their sound and composition...

The new melodeth scene tends to sound too sterile for me... There is too much of a canvas for every gottenburg style death album for me to appreciate...

Thrash Metal exploded in it's own face in the beginning of the 90s because of the saturation of the scene... as did Death metal a bit later... But I don't think anyone can accuse any band of following a preset canvas in either old american death or thrash...

The point is: Testament' still fresh... Exodus refreshed their demon... Nuclear Assault will be back with an attack... Death Angel are top notch... and Sadus makes me headbang from morning to night... While melodeath bands are either going in circles or try their best not to sound redundant...

In Flames and the Gothenberg scene...

rules1.JPG

And In Flames & Gothenberg scene hating is....

weak.jpg

Larf03 said:
I don't hate the gottenburg scene...
mrt.JPG

You are hating...I dont care if you are...but at least have the cojones
to call it what it is...Here's your hating...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

However, their music became cheesy and repetitive to me...I listened
to them up to Colony where the bored me plenty...

Their music is like the pre-school of anger... It's cute at worst... As Pyrus pointed out, that mixture of melody and death is too paradoxal to enjoy

The new melodeth scene tends to sound too sterile for me... There is too much of a canvas for every gottenburg style death album for me to appreciate...

While melodeath bands are either going in circles or try their best not to sound redundant...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

cheesy,repetitive,boring,cute at worst,too paradoxal,sterile,redundant.

You don't call that hating?.....

arnold.JPG

I'm not pissed off and I don't care what fools who don't worship the mighty
Gothenberg scene say, there's a couple who posted that it sucks so I'm
not directing anything specifically at you. In Flames is so boring in
comparison to Dream Theatre's 30 minute instrumental wanking and
Iced Earth's masterful riffing! LOL.

theres nothing wrong with having an opinion about something....so he doesnt absolutely love Gothenburg scene, oh well...
The Bay Area scene is closer and older...i can see their points!

Larf03 said:
I don't hate the gottenburg scene... it just doesn't reach out to me!
Funny, for me it reached down my gullet and fuckin' pulled me in headfirst. It was probably the driver for me getting back into Bay Area shows over the past few years...

OfficerNice said:
cheesy,repetitive,boring,cute at worst,too paradoxal,sterile,redundant.

You don't call that hating?.....

I call it disliking the music. You don't seem to realize it, dude, but it's possible to dislike music without having anything against the people behind it or the listeners. Opeth makes me want to rips my ears out, but I think Mikael is a pretty cool guy and some of my good friends like Opeth. Nobody has said anything bad about the scene–we just don't like the music, and we've presented much better cases for our dislike than you have for why we should love it.

I'm not pissed off and I don't care what fools who don't worship the mighty
Gothenberg scene say, there's a couple who posted that it sucks so I'm
not directing anything specifically at you.

For someone who's not pissed off and doesn't care what we say, you're spending a lot of time and energy trying to argue with us.

In Flames is so boring in
comparison to Dream Theatre's 30 minute instrumental wanking and
Iced Earth's masterful riffing! LOL.

Night of the Stormrider is pure fucking thrash metal. Listen to the verses of "Pure Evil," the 65729572389572957 riffs in "Travel In Stygian," and the time changes and lead work in "Stormrider." That is thrashier than any melodeath in existence.

Pyrus said:
I call it disliking the music. You don't seem to realize it, dude, but it's possible to dislike music without having anything against the people behind it or the listeners.
Sure I do. Since it was never stated, does it need to be now?
What's your point, exactly? Where are you going with this?

.Nobody has said anything bad about the scene–we just don't like the music, and we've presented much better cases for our dislike than you have for why we should love it.
Well, I wasn't making a case for why you should love it. No matter what
I say, you won't change your mind and I'm not here to change your mind
and I'm not interested in changing your mind. It's fuckall whatever you do
wherever you do it, whenever you do it. And I think everything said by
everyone who dislikes it is simply ridiculous and out of their skulls and it
has simply no bearing on what I like about it or any bearing on how
rad you guys are.

For someone who's not pissed off and doesn't care what we say, you're spending a lot of time and energy trying to argue with us.
I'm trying to argue? That's news to me. A lot of time and energy? A couple
of posts between cigarettes is very little time and effort.
I'm mostly just having some fun. If I was truly trying to argue with you,
I would have engaged discussion on the albums, the music and whatnot.
I dont think I did any of that, that would just be bollocks.
All I did was take a position and stood my ground on my position.
I actually never really made any real discussion about it.

That is thrashier than any melodeath in existence.
Are you *Sure* you want to make that claim? There's a lot of heavy
thrashy bands in Gothenberg. I'll give you some time to think it over.

Pyrus said:
Heavier is arguable, but melodic death is not thrash; therefore, a thrash album like NOTS is thrashier. That's what the word means.
"That's what the word means"....I love it. Another 18 year old who knows
everything about metal. LOL! Don't forget I'm OLD SCHOOL! You don't have
to tell me what it means. LOL!

ARG! You want to argue word semantics fine. You said 'thrashier', which is
the same thing as me saying 'thrashy', both times- adjectives which are words
of description. Both you and I didn't use the word 'thrash' to connotate a
style of metal or category to which a band belongs based on their style of
metal.

A band can be heavy, melodic and very thrashy sounding. It exists in
Gothenberg as it exists in the Bay Area.

OfficerNice said:
"That's what the word means"....I love it. Another 18 year old who knows
everything about metal. LOL! Don't forget I'm OLD SCHOOL! You don't have
to tell me what it means. LOL!

If you have to fall back on "I'm older than you, I know better,' you're just out of ideas. What exactly are you trying to prove here, man?

ARG! You want to argue word semantics fine. You said 'thrashier', which is
the same thing as me saying 'thrashy', both times- adjectives which are words
of description.

I think "thrashier" pretty clearly means "carrying more of the defining characteristics of thrash metal," or in layman's terms faster, more time changes, more riffs.

Both you and I didn't use the word 'thrash' to connotate a
style of metal or category to which a band belongs based on their style of
metal.

I certainly did.

A band can be heavy, melodic and very thrashy sounding. It exists in
Gothenberg as it exists in the Bay Area.

Absolutely. I'm just arguing the legitimacy of early Iced Earth so you can't dismiss it any more.

This argument is retarded. Just accept that I don't like melodic death and move on.