Bay Area Metal Scene

OfficerNice said:
What's wrong with melodeath?

Nothing, if you like hearing Iron Maiden cover bands with sore throats.

I simply don't like melodeath. In Flames and Soilwork had good debuts, but the whole Gothenburg scene has gotten repetitive and wretchedly modern. Beyond the crappiness of albums like Reroute To Remain and most of Anthems of Rebellion, the concept of blending power metal melodies with death vocals just makes my ears ache...the brutality and the melody are both undermined by the musical crossbreeding. If I want death, I'll listen to Dismember or Impaled. If I want melody, I'll listen to Sanctuary or...Vicious Rumors. :D

They seriously did kick ass when I saw them live. Don't have any of their albums, though.

Pyrus said:
Nothing, if you like hearing Iron Maiden cover bands with sore throats.
riki.JPG

Beyond the crappiness of albums like Reroute To Remain and most of Anthems of Rebellion, the concept of blending power metal melodies with death vocals just makes my ears ache...the brutality and the melody are both undermined by the musical crossbreeding. If I want death, I'll listen to Dismember or Impaled.
Such blasphemy.....should I....

fookinfury.jpg

If I want melody, I'll listen to Vicious Rumors. :D
Please tell me you are speaking of Carl Albert Era Vicious Rumors.

1989.jpg
1991.jpg

They seriously did kick ass when I saw them live. Don't have any of their albums, though.
Save yourself some cash...don't buy anything after "Word of Mouth"
and if you buy "Something Burning" or "Cyberchrist" you should do it
only cause Smytheeeee is shredding leads.
Brian O'Connor is still their vocalist of the week right? He's pretty good,
but Geoff is a bloody riff stealer.

I can't believe that someone (all due respect) who likes Iced Earth
which is completely fucking

gay.JPG

can say such horribly negative things about the Gothenberg Scene.

I kind of miss the old days of Death metal, back in those days that it really envolved (Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Pestilence, Sepultura) , you don't see that much often anymore.

Deadly Embrace said:
Sweden's scene, reminds me of the Old Bay Area Scene, lots of bands coming up & making a name for themselves, bands know eachother, respect eachother, and come from a small area that has become World Famous.........I think Melodic Death Metal......has Thrash roots, but has taken it a step further......I for one listen to all the Swedish bands.......Until TOTT......the Bay Area Bands were for the most part on a break(or you had to wait a long time in between releases), & you can only listen to their albums over, & over again, so many times.....so I've made the transition......or evolution in my case......Sweden is a beautiful country, & I am enjoying the Hotbed of Music, that comes from their!......:hotjump:
Yea, most of the bands here in Gothenburg know each other. We are like a big family, and thats really cool. We are supporting each other and stuff like that, but the scene here in Gothenburg isn't so original, almost every band play some kind of death metal, which is kinda boring sometimes.

Whereas, I do listen to a lot of melodic death, after sometime it just gets way too boring. I am not doubting their talent, but it just gets repitative.

I love the sound of the guitars, dirty, gritty, raw and violent. I just can't get into the polished, thick smooth guitar tone these melodic death bands have.
Another aspect of the guitars is the actual playing. All of those downpicked notes make it hard to play if you're wrist is not conditioned to do so. A lot of melodic death and black metal is trill picking, which again, I love, but I will always take some good old riffing over it.
These guys really put a lot of showman ship in their guitarsolos, but once again, they get very predictable, none of those inflames solos will remain etched in my memmory for a long time.

A huge factor is also the vocals. Look at the older bands. Every word was just infused with so much venom and animosity that you couldn't help but forearm whatever poor sap happens to be in front of you in the pit . Today, it seems that every melodicmetal band is blatantly screaming or growling, which I also like, but I prefer a perfect balance of screaming, singing in key (for the most part) and even the occasional growl. It makes a band stand head and shoulders the rest.

I know there are many more reasons, probably melodic death is just not my cup of tea, but these are the main reasons why I don't prefer this genre.

FirstStrikeIsDeadly said:
I kind of miss the old days of Death metal, back in those days that it really envolved (Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Pestilence, Sepultura) , you don't see that much often anymore.
TELL ME ABOUT IT!

Those were the days when Death Metal was really great
and fresh and people were doing good things with it. I've seen all of those
bands, minus Pestilence at the Omni back in the "old days" and it's not like
now. Death Metal these days is so generic. It's all the same over-used,
un-original cliche-ridden loud noisy bollocks. Death Metal back in the day
was so great, these days it's just overdone and worn out, worse than
Fred Durst. It's like Death Metal bands are churned out from the same
sausage grinder and they're all clones. The names, the image, the riffs,
the "brutal" lyrics, all done a millions times under the sun. I'm waiting
for an honest Death Metal festival called "Death Metal Snooze Fest'

Grindcore/gore (which I assume is what you're talking about from your description) is as bad, if not worse, than melodic death.

I like old (pre-Dark Saga) Iced Earth. You know, back when Jon knew how to write riffs. There's a difference. And as boring and derivative as it is, I prefer recent Iced Earth to recent Soilwork and In Flames.

I'm listening to The Jester Race right now and it's damn good stuff. That's why the scene annoys me–their old shit is good, they had potential, and they wasted it.

And enough with the pictures. You're taking a good idea and doing it over and over until it's beaten to death...oh right, you're into melodeath. :p

Pyrus said:
And enough with the pictures. You're taking a good idea and doing it over and over until it's beaten to death...oh right, you're into melodeath. :p
grandpa.jpg

Grindcore/gore (which I assume is what you're talking about from your description) is as bad, if not worse, than melodic death.
I'm talking about all of that. It's all the same thing. Gore/Death/Grind...
They're all clones.

I like old (pre-Dark Saga) Iced Earth. You know, back when Jon knew how to write riffs. There's a difference. And as boring and derivative as it is, I prefer recent Iced Earth to recent Soilwork and In Flames.
That's actually really sad.

I'm listening to The Jester Race right now and it's damn good stuff. That's why the scene annoys me–their old shit is good, they had potential, and they wasted it.
And how did they waste it?

Heathen said:
Whereas, I do listen to a lot of melodic death, after sometime it just gets way too boring. I am not doubting their talent, but it just gets repitative.
Site your examples and your examples of contrasts.

I love the sound of the guitars, dirty, gritty, raw and violent. I just can't get into the polished, thick smooth guitar tone these melodic death bands have.
Site your examples and your examples of contrasts.

Another aspect of the guitars is the actual playing. All of those downpicked notes make it hard to play if you're wrist is not conditioned to do so. A lot of melodic death and black metal is trill picking, which again, I love, but I will always take some good old riffing over it.
So you're ragging on their riffing because you can't play it? What does
that have to do with listening to it? Nothing. What's it have to do with
writing great music? Nothing. Lots of thrash bands do some downpicking. What's the difference between some Melodeath and your "good old riffing"...?
And I'm someone who believes without the riff you've got nothing and I think
your analysis has no weight and sinks to the bottom.

These guys really put a lot of showman ship in their guitarsolos, but once again, they get very predictable, none of those inflames solos will remain etched in my memmory for a long time.
Predictable? There's nothing new under the sun. Predictable? If you'd like
to have a discussion on who's predictable, holler. I don't think you're
listening closely. Find the volume button and turn it up a little so you
can hear it. Most guitar solos are predictable. Tell me who's not predictable
in your book.

A huge factor is also the vocals. Look at the older bands. Every word was just infused with so much venom and animosity that you couldn't help but forearm whatever poor sap happens to be in front of you in the pit . Today, it seems that every melodicmetal band is blatantly screaming or growling, which I also like, but I prefer a perfect balance of screaming, singing in key (for the most part) and even the occasional growl. It makes a band stand head and shoulders the rest.
Who are the "older" bands and what do they have to do with Melodeath?
Most probably, without any further clarification to go on, nothing. Screaming
and Growling isn't confined to Melodeath and there are plenty of genres
that do the same thing. Specific genres are exemplified by their characteristics and 2 characteristics of Melodeath are the screaming and
growling to which you are refering, although Screaming pertains to just
about every Metal band in existance since the dawn of Metals existence.
Growling is so cliche in the Death and Grind genres, how can you rag
Melodeath for being cliche? That's weak.
Who's your example of "standing head and shoulders above the rest"....?

I know there are many more reasons,
Except you can think of them?

probably melodic death is just not my cup of tea, but these are the main reasons why I don't prefer this genre.
Wait. You don't prefer this genre, yet your first sentence says
"Whereas, I do listen to a lot of melodic death" ....How can you listen to
lots of something you don't prefer? That's friggin contradictory. That's
like being "A little bit pregnant"....I don't prefer gay power metal so I don't
listen to it. How can you not prefer melodic death and it's not your cup
of tea but you listen to lots of melodic death?
That's like saying "Metallica is the worst band on the planet, they're
so horrible....but I LOVE every album they do"

Hey that was just my opinion and I still hold it. Its ok, if you don't agree with me. If everyone had the same choice and perspective, then it would be a boring place! To each his own I guess. :)

What, I meant to say by they are not my cup of tea -- I am not doubting their talent, I can listen to them in small dozes, but thats it! Just not my fave genre.

Heathen said:
Hey that was just my opinion and I still hold it. Its ok, if you don't agree with me. If everyone had the same choice and perspective, then it would be a boring place! To each his own I guess. :)

I'm not out to change your mind, I could give a fuck.
You sound like an 18 year old hippie.

OfficerNice said:
I'm not out to change your mind, I could give a fuck.
You sound like an 18 year old hippie.

I was expecting an intelligent discussion that doesn't end in a festering name calling because thats quite childish if you ask me.
Anyway, I still respect your opinion and your right to voice it even though I don't agree with it. Thats all I have to say on this topic.

Heathen said:
I was expecting an intelligent discussion that doesn't end in a festering name calling because thats quite childish if you ask me.
That's exactly what I was attempting with my initial response until you
replied with a passive-aggressive disengagement and unilateral response.
I hope you're not alleging there was any name-calling, ha ha, because there
wasn't any of that.

OfficerNice said:
I'm talking about all of that. It's all the same thing. Gore/Death/Grind...
They're all clones.

Big difference between gore, grindcore, brutal death, thrashy death, all that shit. Name some bands.

That's actually really sad.

Listen to "My Own Savior." Then listen to "Cloud Connected."

And how did they waste it?

By releasing uninspired, badly written albums with lots of chunky modern-sounding riffs, subpar clean vocals, and the hated synthesizers.

This argument is a fallacy–you're asking me to qualify my opinions using YOURS as the standard. Completely illogical. Let's just say I don't like melodic death and leave it at that. Don't get so defensive about it–you don't hear me going off on rants and assaulting anybody who doesn't listen to Sodom, Kreator and Destruction.

Hey, grindyblacky gory is good or bad depending on what album it is,

but the thrash scene is the center of existence. :worship:

starting I would say 1982.

By my count the year we are in is 22 abbb (after bonded by blood)

anything before 1982 will forever be #bt (before thrash).

well...i lived in regions close by and heard about the old thrash at a very young age, hence my appreciation for it...but alas i was a snot nosed spoiled baby during those days so i couldnt be a part of it then...i do however feel that its time for me to be a part of it since theres nothing else i feel so comfortable to be a part of now...San Francisco has become my friend...i dont like punk at all enough to be a part of that, and i never liked nu-metal..ever! i like all kinds of metal and everyone whos involved with the old SF scene are very cool and nice people...i feel comfortable around it! i just wish i was old enough to enjoy it the first time around!