Bay Area Rock Fest III postponed for this year

BARfest

Sep 9, 2003
Visit site
All

It is with a heavy heart that I have to announce that there will not be a BARFEST this spring. This has been a difficult decision to make, and one that has taken a lot of time on my end..

As many of you know, this started out a few years ago with Eric Boles and myself coming up with this idea, and bringing Bear on shortly after as a substantial part of this festival. During this time, I have not been working as much at my day job, and have been laid off twice during this time. This has given me the time to grow this festival into something that was beyond my wildest dreams from a musical standpoint. However, from a financial viewpoint, it has not been a success. I did not care about this the first year, because I was living my dream. However, with my continued unemployment, and the economic uncertainty surrounding this year, it does not make sense to have a premium-priced festival in the most expensive area in the US to stage shows.

Another factor that was crucial in my decision was the desire to create something unique. I have always believed that the only reason to do a festival is to do something that is artistically significant. I feel I achieved this in the previous years. The lineup options that were available to me at the time were too similar to other festivals or not of significant drawing power in the Bay Area to make this worthwhile.

I don’t want to make this entirely about money, and give the same old excuse that you hear from everybody in the US about the economy, and from everybody in the music business about the difficulties of the music industry. I have overcome many obstacles in my life, and I always believe that willpower and desire can overcome any roadblocks. Over the past few years, I have had the energy and desire to put this at the top of my list. However, this year, I need to put my energy into reestablishing my career and more importantly welcoming a new addition to my family—my wife and I are expecting our first child this summer. After consulting with the rest of my team, and the similar challenges we are going through this year, we have decided to collectively put this to rest for this spring.

I hopefully will still be involved in promoting some shows this year under the Bay Area Rock Promotions this year. I want to thank all of the fans and bands for all their support in the past and interest for this year. We will return bigger and better in the future!!

I'm really disappointed to hear this, but completely understand, being unemployed myself. With the economy the way it is, attendance might have suffered a bit, anyway.

The past two years have been two of the best festivals I've attended (last year especially), so I'll look forward to a rejuvenated BARfest in 2010!

Craig

Not surprised by this. When I saw the words, "Lost my job." I knew it was only a matter of time before the plug was pulled. The even sadder part is that BARFest was the hope for some of us who are fans of bands from Asia or Latin America. Whether it comes back again in its current form is anyone's guess. Dave, I wish you and yours nothing but the best during these rough times.

Aww sorry to hear this Dave. I know things have been tough. Good luck to you and your family. BARfest is truely a great festival and it has built a good reputation over the past couple of years. I have really enjoyed having this in my backyard, and I hope that it can return bigger and better in 2010. All the best!
Brett

Yeah I think times are tough for all of us out here. Alot of uncertainty with the economy and travel expenses it makes sense to take a break. I wish you Dave and your wonderful wife all the best with the arrival of your first child. I look forward to getting together soon and having a brew with you and Eric.

Bear

I TO UNDERSTAND AND WILL MOST DEFINATELY MISS THE FEST... IF YOU NEED HELP IN ANY OF YOUR OTHER FUTURE ENDEVOURS LET ME KNOW:headbang: GREG

Bummer news about the employment woes and the fest, but awesome news about the lil' one on the way. Congrats Dave; give Mrs. Dave my love. :)

Eric Boles here.
I'm very sad about the decision to cancel as well; however, I strongly feel considering what David has on his plate and the fact that I also started a new business last year, we would both be under way to much stress to not only top what we did last year but make it a success as well.
I think that taking a year off from this thing is absolutely the right decision and we will certainly come back in the future too bring incredible and unique music together in a festival setting for the Bay Area once again.
Take care everyone and we'll see what happens in 2010.
:headbang::Smokin::kickass:

I first want to thank Dave for bringing the attention to the Bay Area with his great event. It's awesome to go check out shows in the area and have people come up to you asking about The Bay Area Rock Fest.

I wish Dave and his wife A very Healthy, Happy baby.

We'll all eagerly await the return of The Bay Area Rock Fest.

Jasun

I posted in the PPUSA forum already, but just wanted to extend my positive vibes toward BARfest once again rearing its handsome head.
Also, congrats on the new baby...I mentioned in my other post that I totally don't mind at all if you name the new arrival after me.
I'm way cool with that.:saint:
Give our love to Missus Dave.

Bummer, but completely understandable. I may be switching jobs and possibly moving soon myself, and was wondering if I'd still be able to keep my promise to help out again this year.

I hope everything works out for everyone, and I'll continue check here for news about next year.:kickass:

edit - Congrats on the baby! Say goodbye to sleep!