Beautiful passages in death metal

in limbow

wobmil ni
Sep 9, 2005
United States
What are some great death metal songs or albums that feature passages that could qualify as 'beautiful'? I think the outro of In Mist She Was Standing is clearly the best example of this. Another one not by Opeth I can think of right now is the last couple minutes of "Kali" by !T.O.O.H.!, absolutely amazing.

Any others? Preferably nothing overly cheesy or wanky.

Beauty is pretty much non-existent in real death metal but it's all over the place in melodeath or w/e, Moonshield by In Flames comes to mind. Opeth isn't very deathy at all but obviously a ton of their metal riffs and melodies are beautiful, too many to name.

Devoured by Vermin by Cannibal Corpse comes to mind.

But seriously, most of the beautiful metal that I have heard isn't plain old death metal, it has influences of other genres... like death doom, folk, or progressive metal. My Dying Bride, Opeth, and Agalloch are my choices for beautiful metal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauty

Beauty is a characteristic of a person, animal, place, object, or idea that provides a perceptual experience of pleasure, meaning, or satisfaction. Beauty is studied as part of aesthetics, sociology, social psychology, and culture...

An "ideal beauty" is an entity which is admired, or possesses features widely attributed to beauty in a particular culture, for perfection....

It is not wrong to claim that there is beauty in death metal; I´ve found some of Necrophagist's songs extremely beautiful to the extent of perfection.

It is not wrong to claim that there is beauty in death metal; I´ve found some of Necrophagist's songs extremely beautiful to the extent of perfection.
Good point. I guess I meant beauty in the most traditional way, i.e. perhaps gorgeous melodic passages like the ones I mentioned in the OP. Then again, death metal with melodic tendencies is often whimpy and/or wanky shit, so it's hard to think of a lot of examples.

I'll extend the topic to any kind of metal; black, death, folk, whatever.
That said:
Weakling- Dead as Dreams - the beautifully mournful melody that builds up over the first few minutes
Coldworld- Hymn to Eternal Frost - fuck, whenever that choir comes in. Floors me every time.
Agalloch- Falling Snow - the outro

Coldworld- Hymn to Eternal Frost - fuck, whenever that choir comes in. Floors me every time.

+1000 Coldworld's Melancholie2 is a really great and beautiful album even if the OP wasn't searching for black metal and the end of Falling Snow.. WOW

I'll extend the topic to any kind of metal; black, death, folk, whatever.
That said:
Weakling- Dead as Dreams - the beautifully mournful melody that builds up over the first few minutes

Nice choise:worship:
Things i really consider as beautifull is
Last solo by Michael Amott in Carcass -Incarnated Solvent Abuse
Agrypnie-Intro
Blut aus Nord - our blessed frozen cells
Sun of the Sleepless-Romanze zur Nacht

The intro of Death's Lack of Comprehension fits perfectly to its context
:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

THe intro of In flames' Jotun is also very beautiful
:goosebumps: