Oriental Doom Metal

Carpe Mortem

Benevolently Batshit
Aug 21, 2013
Self explanatory. I don't know a single band that can satisfy this curiosity, can anyone help?

There are individual songs by bands that I think could qualify, only two off the top of my head though and it'd be nice if a full album of such things exists:

Edit: NO DEATH DOOM, preferably more on the gothic, traditional, or stoner side of doominess.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Oriental metal' refers to music heavy on Middle-Eastern or Egyptian instruments and influence, surprisingly nothing to do with Asians haha. Orphaned Land started the trend of Oriental metal if I understand correctly:

FD that Ahab sounded pretty promising after the first minute or two of straight metal, what album should I check out if I want as much of the middle eastern as possible?

Edit: Can't believe I forgot this excellent example as they're among my favorite albums ever, I believe Karl Sanders of Nile's project could be considered instrumental oriental doom at times. More vocals would be nice.

You see I always thought that song had an "oriental feel" but overall they really don't have much of an oriental sound. I could direct you to some bands with an oriental sound, but they won't be Doom Metal, if you're interested.

Edit:
Music like this:

Yeah I'm familiar with Al Qaynah, great music. You see what I mean though about trying to find Oriental Doom, specifically? It's a tough one. Avant-garde bands for instance can have fun with those middle eastern riffs pretty easily, but it's difficult to find that lower tempo type.

'Oriental metal' refers to music heavy on Middle-Eastern or Egyptian instruments and influence, surprisingly nothing to do with Asians haha. Orphaned Land started the trend of Oriental metal if I understand correctly:

The Middle East is mostly Asia, you know.

Yeah I'm familiar with Al Qaynah, great music. You see what I mean though about trying to find Oriental Doom, specifically? It's a tough one. Avant-garde bands for instance can have fun with those middle eastern riffs pretty easily, but it's difficult to find that lower tempo type.

Haha, absolutely. If I come across one I'll definitely let you know.

Shit I totally forgot about Om! Like... it's been years since I even thought about them. Yeah, I'd say they definitely could qualify. Fuck I gotta start listening to them again.