beginner metal songs for new guitarist?

zim18

Feb 11, 2006
just recently started playing guitar, i can do the intro riffs to the following songs...
iron man, smoke on the water, and hells bells...
i know these are probably mad easy for most of you experienced players but they took me a while to actually play accurately and at the same pace

could someone recommend me some easy metal songs to practice with?

Carcass-This Mortal Coil
jk
...try Corrosion of Conformity maybe Albatross (easy as hell and fun to play) My band loves that one cause we usually go off and jam the fuck out of it.

There are only a few really easy Opeth songs. But most of their songs are not too hard and usually in standard tuning.

I would recommend Megadeth - Holy Wars & Symphony of Destruction

minus the solos

It's pretty easy to nail all the opeth songs. The right hand rhythm work is either basic strumming or regular tremolo, and left hand is not much work at all once you learn it. I find their solos fantastic for a beginner, and good for building technique.

Don't limit yourself to metal. Play some blues or jazz or something.

Alice in Chains will help you a lot. What the Hell Have I (Hard but it will help you improve a lot.), Them Bones, Man in the Box, etc. Soundgarden is a good idea also. Rage Against the Machine is some good shit. Carcass -- Black Star. Spiritual Beggars -- In My Blood. Certain Pantera songs, not many. Basically, listen to shit and see if it sounds simple. If it does, try to play it by ear (an invaluable skill, as it will help you to get better at your own shit faster. The easier it is to hear something and play the easier it is to hear something in your head and play it.) and if all else fails use tabs.

Most def. learn blues. Also don't simply limit yourself to other peoples songs, do some pentatonic scales, learn the different modes so on and so forth. Most importantly of all, don't try to play beyond your capabilities, that's a surefire way to develop bad habits which are near impossible to break.

just recently started playing guitar, i can do the intro riffs to the following songs...
iron man, smoke on the water, and hells bells...
i know these are probably mad easy for most of you experienced players but they took me a while to actually play accurately and at the same pace

could someone recommend me some easy metal songs to practice with?

Anything by Necrophagist should work.

For a beginner?

I would have to say the most cliche' choices.

Paranoid
Breaking The Law
Smoke On The Water :lol:

Best of Luck.

I'd say start out with Iced Earth. You may not be able to do the triplet picking at first but it builds up great stamina. Might want to start with a really simple song like "The Hunter" which does not contain any hard picking. That song should give you a good idea on power chords, harmony etc..