beginner metal songs for new guitarist?

I have to disagree... easy stuff should be learned first to get his fingers used to the fretboard plus making chord changes for rhythm guitar... starting with the difficult stuff first can only lead to bad habits that can affect a player when he tries difficult pieces later.. so really he should start out with Sabbath with it's easy riffs, rhythms and solo's and progress from there... it will do his fingers a service... plus you giving him advice to practice the hard songs "slowly" , he might as well start with bands/songs that are already "slowly" such as i suggested with Sabbath and just progressively try harder and faster material after he masters Sabbath... remember he's a total beginner...

Nah, as he can simply step it up as he makes even the smallest improvement and his fingers will get used to the fretboard in much the same way. He'll asorb moving from string to string, possibly odd meters etc etc much quicker.

i started out on Metallica and Nirvana. the first song i learned was For Whom The Bell Tolls. get tabs from Ultimate Guitar. power chords, hammer ons, and pull offs are easy to learn basics. FWTBT is a simple, all downpicking starter song. go at ur own pace, don't rush. patience is key with guitar, especially when ur a beginner.

It is possible to learn music entirely from ear but not everyone can and some of the people that can cannot learn music from sheet music at all later on. A good knowledge of theory is never a bad thing but it is not always interesting or necissary for all people. An example, Dave Lombardo, Slayer's drummer (as if he needs an introduction) learnt to play drums entirely from ear and playing along and only ever took one lesson which he got bored to death with and chose not to go back to. James Hetfield is another example, maybe a better one as he is a guitarist. James knows pretty much nothing of musical theory and writes from feel and by picking up a guitar and experimenting. However in his case he works with someone who takes a theoretical approach to music (Lars Ulrich, and earlier Cliff Burton who had a classical background).

You forgot Kirk Hammett learning from Satriani might of rubbed off on Hetfield... you can hear the difference of both players from Kill em All to RTL...

Nah, as he can simply step it up as he makes even the smallest improvement and his fingers will get used to the fretboard in much the same way. He'll asorb moving from string to string, possibly odd meters etc etc much quicker.

everyone is different.. what worked for you might not work for someone else.. he can try both approaches and see which one works for him... i started out with easy stuff like sabbath and such then progressed... so that is what worked for me.. trying to play songs that are fast when you can only play slow will become frustrating and you might just quit the instrument all together....