Beginner tutorial: Guitar tone, using freeware vst only.

We need more people making tutorials for the basics. Congrats dude ;)

Dude, there is something weird with your tutorial.... If I toggle poweramp off at step 3. all the settings related to it (presence, low end) become irrelevant at step 7. cos' it's off.

Dude, there is something weird with your tutorial.... If I toggle poweramp off at step 3. all the settings related to it (presence, low end) become irrelevant at step 7. cos' it's off.

Exactly what I was thinking. Besides that it's a great tutorial.

@Flow Of Time take some time to edit it and it will be perfect! We would love more tutorials on the future. Will there be any?

Well, fuck... You're right of course. While I was writing the tutorial I forgot to toggle off the poweramp and did it afterwards.
I will change that in the PDF. For the time being just ignore the stuff about presence and low end unless you want to use IRs without imprinted poweramps.

Do the following for "HIGH" and "LOW":
Add a tad on the "HIGH" knob until your notes start to "shimmer".
Turn up the "LOW" knob until your lowend gets a little bit more body without beeing "boomy".

How do I find out whether the impulses I use have imprinted poweramps or not? and what is the difference in the sound?

How do I find out whether the impulses I use have imprinted poweramps or not? and what is the difference in the sound?

Go to where you've got the impulses and search if they're passed through a power amp. The difference? There will be a tone difference depending on the power amp settings the guy who made it had. (Resonance, Presence for example in a 5150 if I'm right)

My want for a mac au 5150 ampsim gets greater ever day

Why don´t you go and try out Amplitube 3, it has a 5150 model in there (called 150W, you´ll notice when you see the head design with the big block letters).
Or go and try out the Peavey Revalver amp sim. Has the 6505 in there (which basically is the same as the 5150).

They both sound good, but being a real amp guy and not using amp sims, i´ve had the best results with Amplitube 3 when trying to emulate a tube (5150) sound.

i could very well be wrong, but i was under the impression that any/call guitar cab IR's are going to include a power amp. since the IR is created by mic'ing a tone sweep thru a cab, you have to run thru a power amp to make the speaker physically make noise. of course, there could be some other totally different way of making IR's that i'm not familiar with, but this is how i've always known it to work.

i could very well be wrong, but i was under the impression that any/call guitar cab IR's are going to include a power amp. since the IR is created by mic'ing a tone sweep thru a cab, you have to run thru a power amp to make the speaker physically make noise. of course, there could be some other totally different way of making IR's that i'm not familiar with, but this is how i've always known it to work.

they could be passed through a speakers' normal power amp rather than a guitar power amp. but most of the impulses you will find will be through a guitar power amp.

@Flow Of Time instead of "(Klick on „this“ to here the sound...)" you could just underline or color "this". Also it would be great if you linked to a mix with drums and bass also.

have you thought of making more tutorials? it would be great!