Ben Stein's Salute to Troops (a letter)

My Mother was at the supermarket buying a bunch of snacks and such last weekend, so the checkout lady naturally assumed "Oh is this for a superbowl party?" to which my Mom replied, "No, my son enlisted in the Marine Corps, his friends are coming home for the weekend to see him off and this is just some snacks for them." The checkout lady started crying right their behind the register and told my Mother, "Tell your son thank you, it is good to know there are still young people like that in this day and age." A complete stranger.
Needless to say, I'm not ashamed to say I was teary eyed when she came home and told me that story. It meant a lot.

That's funny. When my brother told my parents he was joining the Air Force, my dad about killed himself and my mom was like, "meh. whaddya gonna do?"

The important thing is: what kind of snacks did she get?

That's funny. When my brother told my parents he was joining the Air Force, my dad about killed himself and my mom was like, "meh. whaddya gonna do?"

The important thing is: what kind of snacks did she get?

My Mother and Father both where extremely upset with me, they fucking hated the idea, or at least wanted me to join the Navy, 'if you have to do it', lots of crying and everything. They where none to happy, my sisters even more so.

The story I told helped my Mom come to terms with what was happening though, she is now trying to accept it and be proud though she still wished I 'wouldn't do it' 'can you still back out?' etc though not as much of that now.

Now that I'm enlisted my Dad is gung-ho, hah, wanting to learn about the different weapons systems I will be using, the history of the Corps, etc.

Navy?!
Will you get to drive a tank in the Marines? That's the important thing.

The only thing that's keeping me from joining the Corps right away is whether or not I want to finish my college classes now and get my degree, or wait until I get back. If I wait to get my degree, I'll try and become and officer, and maybe become a pilot. But more than likely I'm going to just enlist and become infantry.

Guthrum, if you join the military with a college degree, I'm pretty sure that automatically makes you an officer. That's what I heard anyway.

Anyway, it's interesting how the underlying theme of this war is based on religious beliefs. The Sunni, Shiite and Kurds are all fighting each other as well as the infidel invaders, who are led by Bush who apparently makes all his decisions based on what God tells him in his prayers. What a fuckarow.

Guthrum, if you join the military with a college degree, I'm pretty sure that automatically makes you an officer. That's what I heard anyway.

You heard wrong. You need a degree to try and become an officer, but you don't automatically become an officer if you have a degree.

I remember when I was an idealist and had this plan to join the army after I finished high school.

Then I woke up, and said to myself:

"ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......."