Bendeth Calls Out Sturgis #epic #shitstorm #podtact #podtactless #cats

thought i'd throw this out here. definitely the consummate professional.

69085382.jpg
42269850.jpg
25968705.jpg

No clue about AA's music but it's very common for a producer to send another guy horrid or screwed up tracks as revenge for being passed over. Specially here in Nashville. I've gotten lots like that and had to paste it back together. Now, I have no clue about Sturgis' stuff but nearly all the guys who edit, amp sim/reamp, and trigger everything, record crappy quality stuff anyway because they deem it dumb to try or something similar. No idea how he does it so that's not an attack, just a musing. Love Bendeth though, and Sturgis' samples!

This guy has a fucking store when you enter his website.
how lame is that? :fu:

It's actually quite smart if you consider that

a) on his site he wants to sell his samples to people - so the thing they get when they find his website are ... the samples
b) at his level, nobody needs to see his resumé on his website telling them what gear he has - he gets business based on his recording, not through his website. That's why Andy's site is 2 years behind on current development and Colin Richardson doesn't even have a site. It simply doesn't matter.
c) he can cash in on everyone trying to get "that Sturgis sound", cause it's more likely that 100 bands will buy samples for $60 than even 1 band that "finds" his site will shell out $6000 for a production - especially if he's busy and fully booked anyway.

No, the best way to get ahead in the music business is to have something others want - be it songs, production style, image, connections, whatever.

I don't disagree, although I would call that "being good at your job" not being an asshole or a "bad guy".

Also (and I know because I purposely do it myself regularly): a good way to stay in people's minds is to deliver "oh shit"-moments every now and then. That's something good/bad/stupid/crazy that will make people go "Oh shit! What did he do now??". Bashing the dude who mixed your record is not such a bad idea in terms of publicity. Of course it only works if your skills are actually accepted as "good". With the very short attention spans of today, people will not remember it in May 2013.

Yes, that's one way to generate publicity, and I'm glad it works for you, but it definitely is not the right (or wrong) way or the only way, like you implied:

I'm amazed that people still believe in the "be nice to everyone, keep your head down and be a team player"-crap

Being a nice guy doesn't mean you let people walk all over you, it means showing respect for other people's work and not behaving like a 12 year old twat.

It's actually quite smart if you consider that

a) on his site he wants to sell his samples to people - so the thing they get when they find his website are ... the samples
b) at his level, nobody needs to see his resumé on his website telling them what gear he has - he gets business based on his recording, not through his website. That's why Andy's site is 2 years behind on current development and Colin Richardson doesn't even have a site. It simply doesn't matter.
c) he can cash in on everyone trying to get "that Sturgis sound", cause it's more likely that 100 bands will buy samples for $60 than even 1 band that "finds" his site will shell out $6000 for a production - especially if he's busy and fully booked anyway.

while I totally agree, marketing yourself like that is really bad to start with. "sturgis" is considered more as a product than a real person IMO. good for him thought.

538862_10151407705379543_1177984311_n.jpg

David Bendeth
Joey, this is what it's supposed to look like, and the thingy in the background is an amplifier.
4 · March 30 at 10:37pm

David Bendeth
if you send me your midi files i can make your drums sound like this for $15.00
2 · March 30 at 10:51pm

David Bendeth
Look we are damn busy, not enough hours in the day, I dont have time for this. bring me a plug in with Bass , Guitar and drums all in one.

haha :lol: hes mad

wheres that Dave B quote?

edit:
shit i missed all the good shit :(

lmao that Nick Scott

Being a nice guy doesn't mean you let people walk all over you, it means showing respect for other people's work and not behaving like a 12 year old twat.

I agree. The funny part is that Bendeth is the one acting like a 12 year old twat in his responses to Joey's rather mild criticism (see Habsburg's post above).

while I totally agree, marketing yourself like that is really bad to start with. "sturgis" is considered more as a product than a real person IMO. good for him thought.

I don't agree. In times where every market is saturated by the hot new guy/thing/gadget, creating a product is the first step to creating a legacy. At least "Sturgis" is considered a product (I'm just argumenting based on your statement - I simply don't know much about Joey's status)! That's a lot more than most new metal producers can say for themselves. Over the years (if he stays in the game) Joey will get older, people will chuckle at the "remember back then?"-memories and he'll be considered a veteran producer who hopefully shakes his head at "kids bashing each other on the web". At that point he's become a person more than a product. But if you are neither, you are fucked. So being a product is a great first step!

Joey got so hostile and aggressive that David had to call him out and humiliate him. Basically drums are midi as well as bass. I'm pretty sure he sent POD guitars as well instead of DIs.

David called Joey and asked him to sit in on the mix because if you're producing something then you want the result to be the best regardless, Joey just acted on and started telling David what to do?! Seriously?

The guy is a fucking prick, sorry but he is, he's completely hostile towards most people that should be regarded as his colleagues of profession, he thinks he is the absolute epitome of music. Little man complex if you ask me.

This is all to say a lot, you can't even engineer drums properly in a high end studio for one of your biggest releases?

Edit: ^ sm1: I'm not defending David, but if you read his last post you'd get it. David tried to get Joey in, to have his input, etc. Joey was butt hurt, but anyway, it's not the first time nor the second that I've seen Joey publicly bashing other people's work in a pretty demeaning and stuck up way. David specifically said that it wasn't about what Joey said on twitter it was about him trying to sabotage a record.

I agree. The funny part is that Bendeth is the one acting like a 12 year old twat in his response to Joey's rather mild criticism.

Of course, you're right (although I don't consider Joy's criticism "mild", not even close. That's bullshit.). They're both exhibiting unprofessional behavior. I didn't take sides on the argument between them, I really don't care about either of them. I was just replying to your statement.