Bendeth Calls Out Sturgis #epic #shitstorm #podtact #podtactless #cats

I don't really think that 99,9% of any band's fans even have an idea what a producer, a tracking engineer and a mixer is. I mean, 50% of musicians think mastering is mixing :)

Truer words have never been spoken. While I understand this is a community of individuals with the behind the scenes aspect of music making as it's primary interest - if you really think who mixed or recorded an album is even a moderate driver of sales or listens than you somewhat delusional.

Sure - it's somewhat entertaining when people involved in a common endeavor resort to venting and ranting on the internet like socially awkward 12 year olds, but ultimately it's just drama for the sake of drama. What's that old saying - any press is good press, publicity is publicity.

Isn't the "I'm better than you at what I do, regardless of the crap you sent me" what Bendeth originally did? This wasn't public until Joey made it public. To make matters worse, the original tweet that provoked Joey was complimenting the mix before Joey said it was shit.

Why didn't Joey shut up and hand over the proper tracks like a man when it was decided that Bendeth was mixing it?

Cause maybe Joey has mental/emotional issues? Maybe Bendeth is pathetic for being a man in his 50s?

If Bendeth really advocated the high road (like he did in his initial post) he would have just not responded to Joey's initial twitter post. Did Joey need to trash the album? No. Did Bendeth need to respond? No.

Also: I am very sure that we all only know 10% of what actually happened. It's always the same with the stuff you hear from people who know people. In the end it has nothing to do with the truth.

And: the music business is an industry that a) doesn't work like any other legitimate business/industry and b) is full of emotionally very crippled people. The longer you are in it, you'll notice that fucked up behavior is much more tolerated than it would be in other industries. Fucked up people prefer other fucked up people to "scary" rational people. That's why a lot of folks get away with lying, cheating, trashtalking and generally being idiots.

To clarify: I am not defending Sturgis, I'm just saying his original comment "Please don't think I'd make something sound this terrible!" is not really anything to write home about and unless this is a promo-stunt, Bendeth should have just shut up and mixed it like a man ... thereby giving Joey the ultimate finger of "I'm better than you at what I do, regardless of the crap you send me".

Well, you make it seem easy but if joey sent him really shitty tracks and bendeth knowing very well his own game, instead of doing his best with good raw tracks, he probably will put out there a mediocre mix.

Now, think if this happens to you? Could you do your job with and keep your mouth shut, knowing that you have been fucked by the engineer? because it´s your name that will appear in the album. The man who mix, always takes the blame, never the engineer.

The funny thing it´s that in the end, it´s the band that will suffer the consequences of a behavior like this.

Do you really thing all those faggot crabcore kids will understand shit? :Spin:

NS.jpg
This is your most epic post ever ....LOL

Maybe Joey used Nicks patented Moar ESS ESS EL! Plugin on everything?

Emo bands = Lets come from a middle income family and pretend we are all suicidal and angry

Emo Producers = Lets come from a middle in come family and buy a shit ton of plugins using mommy and daddys money, then when people cry about our mixes yell at them over the internet.

This has been the pattern since the first DWP record. Nothing has changed its just all public now thanks to social media.

cfh11/Nuno Filipe: I agree in principle, but: is there a fan backlash against the band because of this? Do people not buy the album because of the internet-bitch fight?

i do agree with you here but my point was more that if he sabotages the band's product, regardless of how well it sells, you would think the band would look at him less favorably. and it is a snowball effect - if you piss off one peer or customer it will significantly hurt your reputation. but point taken that the music industry is not a "typical" business environment. my main point was that reputation is everything in the recording industry and joey is gaining a reputation for precisely this kind of BS. i know if i worked for a label i wouldnt send anyone to him.

Now, think if this happens to you? Could you do your job with and keep your mouth shut, knowing that you have been fucked by the engineer? because it´s your name that will appear in the album. The man who mix, always takes the blame, never the engineer.

+1 to this... EXACTLY. This is why I dont blame David whatsoever. The way he is handling it may not be 100% professional, but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. Joeys name should be stamped all over this turd, especially if he purposely sabotaged it.

All I know is:

1. I dig the track and the mix. Especially the low end. I've never been a fan of this band, so I was expecting disappointment when I hit play.

2. If Bendeth ever mixed anything I engineered or produced, after I got over shitty myself with nervousness, I'd be fucking honored.

But that kick and snare volumes are totally off. Kick is to low and snare is 10 high.

I think the mix sounds decent enough except for the cymbals. Even if all Bendeth was given was MIDI it's pretty easy to make cymbals sound better than that. So I guess I just don't understand???