benefits of a summing box

arv_foh

Brian K
Oct 3, 2006
Columbus, OH
So I was wondering if someone could explain to me what the benefit of having an outboard summing box (like a Dangerous Music D-box) would be. From what I understand the signal is sent out, goes thru the box then comes back in right? So it has something to do with superior conversion? Giving a "digital" mix an "analog" touch?

I think that analog summing does something, but is not worth the money imo.
If you think to go with summing, you must have really great converters also.
I tried analog summing, the result is better space in the mix, but again, ther's better option to put your money......pre, mics, room ...ecc ecc.

It does not have to do with superior conversion. It has to do with combining your signals in the analog domain, rather than in the digital domain. Yous till need a converter, though I think some units like the Cranesong Egret have built in conversion (for a hefty price).

The studio I am going to be working at was talking about getting one. They have an Apogee Rosetta 800 already. So basically you would bus out all your channels through specific outputs, those are combined in the summing box, and then you (should) have a better result than if you summed ITB?

That is indeed the goal/idea... If by "better" you mean "different" and "colored." It wont necessarily be better - that will be up to your ears.

Also, some units are passive, so if you want to go back into the DAW, you'll need to run the outputs into preamps, then to the A/D

Go to vintageking website, you can listen gear and make your first and quick opinion for more search.;)

I tried using analog summing once, and the only benefit I could hear was that the stereo image comes out far superior than when you do it in the digital domain. I think it has to do with the way pan laws are set up in a daw. It was a pretty drastic difference to my ears, similar to putting a widener plug on the master.

Seriously, just wait for the Slate VCC. Don't waste your money on this shit. If you're going to tie up your converter I/Os at least run the tracks into something useful like compressors or EQs.

What makes you so sure the VCC won't be a waste of money too? hah

Steven has posted clips of the 4k mode up against a real 4k desk and in the blind shootouts I always picked his plug-in as sounding better. Yes - than the real thing.

Plus I already use Nebula console saturation and it does have an effect, and a very good one at that. Subtle, but just enough to make a difference. It also doesn't tie up your converters, so really summing boxes as an idea I think will die before they even take off.

Seriously, just wait for the Slate VCC. Don't waste your money on this shit. If you're going to tie up your converter I/Os at least run the tracks into something useful like compressors or EQs.

It's not my $ the studio wants to buy it and I just wanted to understand how it worked :)