Best 80's Thrash Metal Band

Some early songs (Live Like An Angel Die Like A Devil, Black Metal, Heaven's On Fire...) are pretty much thrash, but overall they're just a dirty sounding traditional/speed band.

only thrash bands i like from the 80s is anthrax slayer and megadeth...few songs here and there but ya

so where do we stand on venom?

i'd call their early stuff definitely thrash and not black metal

Sorry to disagree. Venom is the TRUE ORIGINAL black metal, along with Bathory, Mercyful Fate and Hellhammer/Celtic Frost they paved the way for what now is called black metal :Smug:

Now if you check "Metal Black" that album is undoubtedly thrash. "Resurrection" and "Hell" are more akin to their earlier work but with a polished production.

For me...my favorite group would be number one..

1) Megadeth
2) Metallica ( well And Justice and before)
3) Anthrax
4) Testament

Sorry to disagree. Venom is the TRUE ORIGINAL black metal, along with Bathory, Mercyful Fate and Hellhammer/Celtic Frost they paved the way for what now is called black metal :Smug:

Or maybe early Bathory and Hellhammer/Celtic Frost are just thrash.

Their first album or maybe two were clearly (or muddily, ololo) Venom worship with a touch of Sodom. Of course, both of those bands were extremely influential for black metal themselves and Bathory was probably the first real black metal band around, but I'm just saying that a lot of "original"/first-wave/whatever black metal bands were just traditional or thrash metal with Satanic lyrics, at least in their beginnings. The idea of Venom (or especially Mercyful Fate) being anywhere near what black metal later became is laughable.

Or maybe early Bathory and Hellhammer/Celtic Frost are just thrash.

Oh THEY ARE as a matter of fact, but because of imagery, lyrics and attitude they were the forefathers (along with Venom) of black metal. Or at least what I really consider like black metal, everybody knows in this forum I don't like BM at all in its current form.

Oh THEY ARE as a matter of fact, but because of imagery, lyrics and attitude they were the forefathers (along with Venom) of black metal. Or at least what I really consider like black metal, everybody knows in this forum I don't like BM at all in its current form.

I would have to agree with Wyvern on this one. If you take early examples of Death Metal like Seven Churches or Scream Bloody Gore the music _could_ be described as Extreme Thrash but since these albums paved the way for 90's Death Metal musically and lyrically they are instead regarded as DM classics (at least in my world hehe..)
It's the same with Repulsion's Horrified. It could be seen as fast thrash or it could be proto-grindcore.

I do agree that Venom is pretty far from second generation BM though and whenever some modern band try to pull off a cover it just sounds forced and.. well.. bad. Celtic Frost or Hellhammer, however, work very well. I mean, Darkthrone and Carpathian Forest have been ripping them off for years! :kickass:

I would have to agree with Wyvern on this one. If you take early examples of Death Metal like Seven Churches or Scream Bloody Gore the music _could_ be described as Extreme Thrash but since these albums paved the way for 90's Death Metal musically and lyrically they are instead regarded as DM classics (at least in my world hehe..)
It's the same with Repulsion's Horrified. It could be seen as fast thrash or it could be proto-grindcore.

I do agree that Venom is pretty far from second generation BM though and whenever some modern band try to pull off a cover it just sounds forced and.. well.. bad. Celtic Frost or Hellhammer, however, work very well. I mean, Darkthrone and Carpathian Forest have been ripping them off for years! :kickass:
All true and good example of Death; back in the days I described all those bands the same as I describe them now, Venom being Black, Death being Death and Repulsion being Grind. For the record I prefer Carpathian Forest to Darkthrone:heh:

I don't really disagree with this (undoubtedly the 'first wave' of black metal directly influenced the later development of it), but I wouldn't actually call those bands (Bathory aside) "black metal" as a genre descriptor. I dunno, it just seems arbitrary at times. Slayer, for example, was widely called a black metal band in the 80's for their Satanic imagery and aggression, but the term never stuck to them simply because they are a well-known thrash band instead of a relatively kvlt one.