Best Albums of 2007

I must be trippin´.
WT is a clasical straight, guitar/drum driven, midi-esque pop-rock album. With emotional/self-descriptive lyrics.
Whether
YZ is loop/beat-based noise-pop album that conceptually (both lyrically and musically) fits a distopian alternative future.

How is YZ a vol. 2 of WT I´ll never understand.

They're both a gigantic regression from the amazing compositions and layering on the fragile (the first disc especially) and both have a lot of bouncy catchy chorus-driven stuff in the vein of Pretty Hate Machine, the way their sound was produced or what the lyrics are is kind of besides the point imo.

They're both a gigantic regression from the amazing compositions and layering on the fragile (the first disc especially) and both have a lot of bouncy catchy chorus-driven stuff in the vein of Pretty Hate Machine, the way their sound was produced or what the lyrics are is kind of besides the point imo.
I´d leave WT from this, because it obvilously was a comeback album and it practically doesn´t matter anymore.

Although I get (and party agree, because The Fragile is my favourite NIN album as well) what you mean, it´s necessarily not completely accurate.
Trent Reznor stepped away from the layering simply because he doesn´t feel that way anymore. In fact, he used all those layers and precisely picked composition just because he was extremely insecure (mostly due to his addiction). I don´t say I wouldn´t like to hear more of this detailedness again, but it´s definitely good to see him trying out new directions. Also, I don´t need another Fragile and it´s much better to try new things then recycling one idea over and over (which is basically the biggest problem of curent mainstream rock and metal).
Year Zero is compared to The Fragile much more mature album with an actual substance in it. True that it´s rushed, but then again it´s meant to be experimental and it what the hell would you expect from an album written on a road with a fucking Macbook?
It doesn´t suffer from tumidness (which, frankly, is the biggest problem of The Fragile) and lyrical immaturity. Where The Fragile is an elaborated artistic masterpice (I don´t use this term much often, but here I feel like I can) Year Zero is more like a collage of sounds with thought-out concept and accomplishment.
I am not trying to compare or convince you that Year Zero is such a great album (in fact is has quite a few mistakes/imperfection that are enveloped by the YZ there and the very unique ARG campaign) just that you should choose diffeernt measures and angle to judge this album.
As for the PHM/YZ chorus-driven comparison...that´s basically just because they both these albums are more pop oriented, that´s the only thing they actually have in common.
You CAN´T put the sound or production aside. (I guess you mistook the production for a procedure here, othewise it does´t make any sense) They way that any of NIN albums was put together is the most important and in the end the most obvious part of the creative process.
As for the lyrics...Yeat Zero basically stands and falls with the lyrical theme, so it´s definitely not a thing you can overlook.

Post-rock
65daysofstatic - The Destruction of Small Ideas
Mono - Gone
Eluvium - Copia
World's End Girlfriend - Hurtbreak Wonderland
The World On Higher Downs – Land Patterns
Caspian - The Four Trees
Tunturia – Maps
Crippled Black Phoenix - A Love Of Shared Disasters
God Is An Astronaut - Far From Refuge
Tulsa Drone - Songs From a Mean Season
Laura - Radio Swan Is Down
Grails - Burning Off Impurities
James Blackshaw - The Cloud of Unknowing
Scraps Of Tape - This Is A Copy, Is This A Copy
Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone
Do Make Say Think - You, You're a History in the Rust
Beware of Safety – It is Curtains
Slow Six – Noreaster
The Pirate String Quintet - The Pirate String Quintet EP

Heh, don't you think Copia is more of an ambient album? :p

For the record, do you BUY all of these? And if so, how much money do you have to spend on all that stuff?

As for Year Zero, yeah, it wasn't his best, by any stretch of the imagination, but it's still quite good. I do think that it should have been a bit shorter, but oh well.

Peace

Rorix

Oh yeah, for sure. I was just being dumb. :p

Eluvium is also very good on the Split with Jesu.

Heh, don't you think Copia is more of an ambient album? :p

For the record, do you BUY all of these? And if so, how much money do you have to spend on all that stuff?

As for Year Zero, yeah, it wasn't his best, by any stretch of the imagination, but it's still quite good. I do think that it should have been a bit shorter, but oh well.

Peace

Rorix
Well, Copia is Electronic, post-rock, ambient. It´s basically more ambient oriented. However, it still holds post-rock structure in certain aspects. So you decide, the main thing is that it´s really good.

I did not buy all of these, nevertheless, I bought a lot of them and I am going to buy the vast majority of those. In many cases I just wait to see the band live and buy the CD directly from them so I can be sure that they got the money. Not some greedy motherfucker, you know what I´m saying.
Last year I spent several thousand euro on music. Needs to be said that most of it was on live shows and I saw shitloads of live shows.

I didn´t mean than YZ should have been shorter, that was for The Fragile. And it´s not even my opinion, just more objectively oriented one. I´m fine with the vinil tracklist, actually.

Oh yeah, for sure. I was just being dumb. :p

Eluvium is also very good on the Split with Jesu.
This is a good call, much better Conqueror, if you ask me.