Best Albums of 2007

* Dark Tranquillity - Ficition
* Explosions In The Sky - All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone
* Sigur Ros - Hvarf/Heim
* Nahema - The Second Philosophy
* Mogwai - Mr. Beast + Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait
* Machine Head - The Blackening
* Alcest - Souvenirs d'Un Autre Monde
Guidance - [] (I'm not sure of the name of the album, because the band released it via mp3 for free, and I couldn't find the name anywhere.)
* Blackfield II
* Biffy Clyro - Puzzle

I was very dissapointed in Porcupine Tree's Fear Of A Blank Planet, and Dream Theater's Systematic Chaos got a "meh" rating from me - not bad and definately better than Octavarium, but I dont' find myself wanting to listen to it too much. Also, haven't gotten the latest Riverside yet.

I'm probably forgetting a few though...

Some Favourites:

The Angelic Process - Weighing Souls with Sand
Ne Obliviscaris - The Aurora Veil
Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters
Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden, I Miss Everyone
Shining - V - Halmstad (Niklas angående Niklas)
Crippled Black Phoenix - A Love of Shared Disasters
Fen - Ancient Sorrow
Be'lakor - The Frail Tide
Drudkh - Estrangement
Rosetta - Wake/Lift
Rainshadow - End Songs
Between the Buried and Me - Colors
Pelican - City of Echoes
Ulver - Shadows of the Sun

The new Radiohead (In Rainbows) is possibly their best release ever, it's their most musically complex and best vocally, not to mention they actually have some solid songs on there, something they've been lacking since like...OK Computer. I think it's their best album since The Bends, if not their best ever. Great stuff.

Devin Townsend's "Ziltoid the Omniscient" is kind of like "Physicist" done right. I think he just wrote a bunch of awesome songs and then was like "uhh...I don't feel like writing any lyrics, so I'll make it a retarded concept album about a nerdy guitar playing alien trying to conquer earth in the pursuit of coffee." Some of the songs rank up there with his best work, though it's slightly disappointing that the drumming was done with a drum machine, it sounds a bit too mechanical at times. The second half of the album is a bit weak too, but the first two songs (tracks 2 & 3) pretty much solidify its place on the list.

Blackfield II is like Porcupine Tree without the prog meandering. Steven Wilson does lead vocals on all the songs and wrote 3/10 of them, so it's easy to mistake it as a Porcupine Tree side project or a "pop" Porcupine Tree, but it's much more than that. The choruses are all insanely catchy and gorgeous (there are prevalent strings on just about every song) and it's just some of the most solidly composed rock music I've ever heard. I like it far more than every single Porcupine Tree cd, to be honest.

Elend's "A World in their Screams" is very hard to categorize. They have always been reviewed in metal publications, and I guess cause some of their older stuff had growling in it, but this last cd seems to be mainly influenced by Takemitsu and/or Messiaen. They have some CDs that are merely extremely dark string/vocal/percussion music, and then a couple that are just full-blown nightmare music. "The Umbersun" is an example of the latter, the review on SSMT is pretty accurate. That album reminds me of something like say...the "Bram Stoker's Dracula" soundtrack if it was a hell of a lot better written and didn't have the budget for actual string players. This new one is more cacophonous than that one, and the best description I can afford is that it sounds like a soundtrack for being stuck in a huge maelstrom in the middle of the night in the middle of the ocean. Truly scary stuff.

Novembre - The Blue - This album hasn't grown on me as much as I thought it would, but the good songs on it are some of their very best work and it's heartening to see a return to form for them after the very poppy Materia. The song with the female singer on it (who I still am not sure of the identity of, it sure as hell sounds like the chick from Lacuna Coil) is possibly the best thing they've done, and the intro to the instrumental is one of the most gorgeous passages of rock music I've ever heard. They're the best damn atmospheric progressive death metal band around, I'd go so far as to call them equals to Opeth and one of the few metal bands I can still tolerate. Anyone who calls themselves a fan of the non-br00tal variety of metal should download at least the songs "Nascence" and "Zenith" and maybe "Triesteitaliana."

The Maria Schneider Orchestra's "Sky Blue"
is technically "Big Band," but calling it that sort of implies it's straight ahead jazz, which it definitely isn't. There are heavy brazilian and other world music I can't identify influences on most of the songs, and overall it's just the most mindblowingly lush and hedonistic jazz I've ever heard. Reminds me of Debussy almost in that regard. If you've ever been into the Pat Metheny Group you'll probably love it, and even if you hate them you might like it.

Then the new Bjork (Volta), Porcupine Tree (Fear of a Blank Planet), Tori Amos (American Doll Posse), and Dillinger Escape Plan (Ire Works) all have a bunch of awesome songs on them but they have some junky stuff too and I wouldn't come close to calling them their best albums, but they'd make the top 10 if I had to name that many. Actually maybe the last Porcupine Tree IS one of their best, but I really really hate the last song on it and the lyrics about xbox and mtv are pretty distractingly awful.

As far as not so top 10 go, Rosetta's Wake/Lift had potential, but there seemed to be a ton of running time taken up by crappy electronic tracks. The song they had on myspace is 100% awesome and it's a shame the rest doesn't live up. The new Symphony X is pretty bad, the singer seemed to have decided he wanted to impersonate phil anselmo and the results are not pretty. The new Dream Theater is entertaining, but after listening to it a few times I realized I probably wouldn't be coming back to it in the future. Far better than Octavarium, though.

Oh, I still need to check out the last Neurosis, THAT is probably something with best of the year potential.

Let's see. In no particular order:

Anekdoten - A Time of Day
Alamaailman Vasarah - Maahan
Tuna Laguna - Ripples and Swells
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Dungen - Tio Bitar
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In Glorious Times
Promise and the Monster - Transparent Knives
John Zorn - Six Litanies for Heliogabalus
Sayyadina - Mourning the Unknown
Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha
Mogwai - Mr. Beast...
Ulver - Shadows of the Sun
Opeth - Roundhose Tapes
Paatos - Sensors
Rush - SNaks and Arrows (but I have to admit, there are the odd "meh" songs on there. But it still made me happy)

My list is longer than I would have thought, and I think there's more....

Waltari - Release date
Novembers Doom - The novella reservoir
The dillinger escape plan - Ire works
Dethklok - The dethalbum
Farmakon - Robin
Hacride - Amoeba
Queens of the stone age - Era vulgaris

In no particular order

Powerwolf - Lupus Dei
Winds - Prominence and Demise
Shining - Halmstad
Voyager - Univers
Yearning - Merging into Landscapes
Novembers Doom - The Novella Reservoir
Watain - Sworn to the Dark
Nightingale - White Darkness
Volbeat - Rock the rebel..
Olympos Mons - Medievil
Primordial - To The Nameless Dead

Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet/Nil Recurring
Novembers Doom - The Novella Reservoir
Ulver - Shadows Of The Sun
Megadeth - United Abominations
Nightingale - White Darkness
Primordial - To The Nameless Dead
Novembre - The Blue
THe Absence - Riders Of The Plague
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omniscient
Arch Enemy - Rise Of The Tyrants
Behemoth - The Apostasy

Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet
Blackfield -Blackfield II
Nest - Trail Of The Unwary
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere...
Omnia - Alive
65daysofstatic - The Destruction of Small Ideas
Thurisaz - Circadian Rhythm

I won't be able to remember all the ones i've loved.

Alcest
Ulver
Neurosis
Deathspell Omega
Shining (both the Swedish and Norwegian band).
Wolves In The Throne Room
Akercocke
Explosions In The Sky
Moonsorrow
Finntroll
Biffy Clyro

And i've blanked...

^^hardly, anyone who has a decent taste in music would know how groundbreaking it is. as far as other contenders for this year:

shining
ulver
radiohead

hasn't been a great year afaict

wtf @ no one mentionning deathspell omega's 2007 release. clearly the album of the year folks.

Ahaha.. you posted that as i was trying to remember all the releases this year.. Fas is probably their best release yet in my opinion. Oh, and yeah.. 65daysofstatic.. I liked it, but definitely not their best release. Radiohead's album was great too!

I am sure there's plenty more albums i've forgotten about..

I'm still to hear Primordial and Winds. OH and the new Amesoeurs track!

Devin Townsend's "Ziltoid the Omniscient" is kind of like "Physicist" done right. I think he just wrote a bunch of awesome songs and then was like "uhh...I don't feel like writing any lyrics, so I'll make it a retarded concept album about a nerdy guitar playing alien trying to conquer earth in the pursuit of coffee."
umm no... IIRC Devin had planned to do some puppet show project (or something like that) featuring Ziltoid. During the work it evolved into a music record though. so the concept was first. :loco: