Best bass cab impulses?

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I've been experimenting with impulses instead of the usual Studio Devil chain for my bass grit, but I have a real lack of good-sounding bass-cab impulses.

What are some of the best ones out there? Doesn't matter whether they're free or commercial packs. I ideally want ones that can both handle semi-clean twangy bass tones, and the full-out distortion grit stuff (which I figure guitar cabs might be able to do satisfactorily too).

Ermz, I recommend you to try with the Audiffex Gallien Krueger amp sim. It is really great.

Redwire and recabinet have ampeg 8x10 impulses

or

i suppose that you can use just the cab simulator of podfarm, ampeg svx, bass amp room and Mark Studio 1
but im not sure...

Recabinet 3 and Redwirez probably sound good, I've only been using the free ones from some guy on this forum and I like them a lot. Can't remember where I found them but I can up them if you want.

i suppose that you can use just the cab simulator of podfarm

That's not possible, you can only bypass the cab section afaik.

So I take it there aren't generally any astounding ones out there? I've used the bass cab sims on most of the software modeling plugs, and they're cool (especially the Bass Amp Room and Studio Devil ones) but I'm after something a bit more realistic. Just a decent bass rig mic'ed in that 'sweet spot'. Since I have most of the gear needed to shape a bass tone, I don't really want to contaminate it with any more software modeling than necessary!

I'll trawl through the guitar cab IRs for a good distortion one, but it would still be good to get one with a nice twang... like, say the Accept album or something.

There is that one pack floating around with some Eden 4x10 and ampeg 8x10 that I've managed to get good results from over the last couple of years but Im certainly ready to try something new

I'm after something a bit more realistic. Just a decent bass rig mic'ed in that 'sweet spot'. Since I have most of the gear needed to shape a bass tone, I don't really want to contaminate it with any more software modeling than necessary!

If you own an iLok2, just try the PI-101 demo. Don't understimate it, and don't be fooled by the shitty demos on their website and the bathroom GUI :D
The cool thing is the controllable poweramp section, and the fact that you can move the mic exactly where you want, like in a real micing situation.

I only tried the free version, it's a Marshall V30 Slash signature and a SM57. The cab itself don't sound really good with my preamps, but the possibilities and sonic qualities are quite amazing.

Brett own the hardware version, you can ask him how it sounds with bass tones.

Ermz, I told you about Audiffex Gallien Krueger amp sim, because is one of the best that I have tried. And I tried all! You can use only the cab sim if you wish. Just told you about it because if you can test a demo of it maybe you would like how it sounds.

Hey Ermz and others interested in this,

If you did find a really good bass cab IR, can you please tell me what it is ?

The only ones that sound somewhat decent are the redwirez ones but I am not completely happy with them (and I own most of the software mentioned in previous posts).

Thanks in advance,
Than