Best bass distortion plug-in

Srs question: am I misusing the TSE B.O.D. for the clank track? I find that it gets a nice, clanky but not at all overdriven tone no matter how hard I turn the drive knob..until I hit the max, at which point it introduces some gross distortion. But there seems to be no in-between; 90% of the knob (between 8 and 4 o'clock, in other words) does nothing and doesn't seem to affect the tone. Is my input too low or something? I usually feed it your standard -18db RMS bass DI.

I've had same kind of issues with the TSE B.O.D v2.0, but dont remember having it with v1.0. For me it only occurs sometimes and re-opening my daw fixes the issue. It's like the drive knob somehow loses its effect as you described it.

Little late to the party here, but I've recently got good results with the Native Instruments Ramfire plugin, which is a dark sounding Recto tone. The ol' separate channel w/ a bandpass. You really have to get the gain and volume in the sweet spot, but once there, pretty darn good.

Is it safe to run a bass DI into my miced up guitar rig, if i filter out everything below 500hz? Should I filter higher? Should I use a bass cab instead?

Is it safe to run a bass DI into my miced up guitar rig, if i filter out everything below 500hz? Should I filter higher? Should I use a bass cab instead?

Yeah, it's perfectly fine to reamp a bass through a guitar rig. You don't have to filter everything below 500Hz before going into the guitar amp, just turn down the bass knob on the amp a lot.