Best cabinet simulation software

Oct 22, 2007
Hi,

I'm recording guitar at the minute, and setting up mics every time i want to record even if it's only for a demo is getting tiresome.

What is the best plug in (VST preferably) or software to plug the preamp out from my amp into my audio input and get a decent sound- it sounds like arse on it's own.

dont be lazy haha if you have a good cab/mic/preamp
keep micing it ! cab sims suck.

Impulses dont even compared to a proper mic's cab although if ur seriously wanting to scrap the mic id go for the impulse option.

If you want quality your gonna have to do it the right way without the short cuts of some shitty cab sim dude.

please please dont reply asking what impulses are or ur next reply by someones gonna be

"use the search function"

youll get the impulses from the ftp

dont be lazy haha if you have a good cab/mic/preamp
keep micing it ! cab sims suck.

Impulses dont even compared to a proper mic's cab although if ur seriously wanting to scrap the mic id go for the impulse option.

If you want quality your gonna have to do it the right way without the short cuts of some shitty cab sim dude.

please please dont reply asking what impulses are or ur next reply by someones gonna be

"use the search function"

youll get the impulses from the ftp

I totally disagree. Impulses can sound extremely convincing and in some cases even better than a miced cab.

Especially in the first poster's situation he should always go the direct route: record a signal to harddisc, put some ampsim or amp-fx out with impulses on for demo purposes and then will be able to use his direct-tracks for reamping later, in case he needs it ...

I totally disagree. Impulses can sound extremely convincing and in some cases even better than a miced cab.

Especially in the first poster's situation he should always go the direct route: record a signal to harddisc, put some ampsim or amp-fx out with impulses on for demo purposes and then will be able to use his direct-tracks for reamping later, in case he needs it ...

u never hear of andy using impulses lmao
what i do know is you need speaker movement i dont care what anyone says on that.
there is a reason every pro mic you hear is a ruddy loud driven miced cab and no a speaker sim/impulse :headbang: its all in the AIR !

but yes you do get some really amazing results from impulses i just havent found one ive loved more than my cab miced up its not the same and the results r never the same.

"Impulses dont even compared to a proper mic's cab"

I think it's been pretty well established and proven that they do compare VERY closely.

But yes.. the mysterious qualities of air are out of the picture somewhat if you use impulses.

Why would Andy use impulses if he had the gear that he has, and the skill to mic up any of the cabinets he has and get a killer sound out of that? It wouldn't make sense for him to use impulses.

However, impulses do sound extremely convincing. Don't kid yourself. If you yourself can't get a get sound with impulses, or whatever your problem with your experiences has been, then I don't know what to tell you...user error? Like Benny said, in some cases impulses can sound better than the mic'ed cab.

~e.a

...but are there any additional tricks you need to apply to get the impulse to sound convincing. I have used Amplitube and BossGT6 and WagnerSharp in front of impulses and was really disappointed with the tone. No doubt it was my noob approach to this (and not using a mesa or 5150 or engl etc..)....so any advise?

cheers!

Hi,

I'm recording guitar at the minute, and setting up mics every time i want to record even if it's only for a demo is getting tiresome.

What is the best plug in (VST preferably) or software to plug the preamp out from my amp into my audio input and get a decent sound- it sounds like arse on it's own.

Revalver MkII has a module where you load impulses in it, but it doesn't only do that, it also simulates some distortions and dynamics that cab's produce. I'd go for RevalverII. It's a hell of an ampsim, to me it's way better than the competition. It's cheap too :headbang:

From my experience impulses does not sound same - but it depends on deconvolution. So far I used Voxengo Deconvolver to do the job, but result lacks uper midrange and giges to much lows (compared to reference tone from same setup). I tried to deconvolve files myself based on mathematical formulation of convolution, but it`s harder to get good result, albeit it give closer result to reference. With "direct" deconvolution midrange and lows are OK. Maybe there is another tools for deconvolution (tried Voxengo deconvolver, AixCoustic Deconvolve and deconvolution in Waves IR)? But EQed impulse sound can sound comparable (in case of Deconvolver), but I`m after impuse that don`t need additional correction.

As convolver Waves IR is very good, but comparable to Voxengo PristineSpace. I tried once extract impulse from sweep (recorded using supplied test tone) in IR and just got weird result.

Steinberg Warp

Use the clean channel and coose the cab you like the most...

Sounds very good actually