Best DT ballad?

Well, if the lyrical themes (introspective, emotion-centered songs) are to be considered the main filing issue, I'd definitely say Lethe, followed by Auctioned, Day to End and Emptier still. If the slow-tempo feature becomes the main one, unlinked from the actual content of the song, then the first place goes surely to A Bolt Of Blazing Gold, and I'd insert Insanity's Crescendo after Auctioned. And I consider the absence of a predictable structure (especially the absence of anything remotely linkable to the idea of "refrain") as something extremely positive, musically speaking. This is not commercial pop, after all, the originality of the structure is supposed to mirror (and be mirrored by) the complexity and originality of all the other aspects of the songs' shape and content :)

Alfred

Siren said:
but still, is it better than "a bolt of blazing gold"? :p

that's what i'm not sure about. abobg has that "dt classic" feeling about it, but hpie feels more personal to me.

ah well, i won't make up my mind about it quite yet.

as for the greatest lyrics, take that (so sad, so deep):

does your ceiling differ much from mine
where we see each other
here in this light
is that pillow more than a frame
that holds the chaos fast?
now his hand a fist
gain control

silence fell and eyes now widened
filling up the strength collapsing
capable of the ending froze in the tracks
brought to a bitter halt

[and listen to that solo in between here, which blows you away]

on the floor it seems the steps are showing
left a print just like it did in me
what has been and what will be
never care 'cause I was in between
as I said with on efoot in loneliness
you hide here in me

perfection

'Lethe' - the music is breaking whatever is left of one's heart plus Stanne is not only singing he is crying (let him prove me wrong)

insilence said:
'Lethe' - the music is breaking whatever is left of one's heart plus Stanne is not only singing he is crying (let him prove me wrong)
Unless he's also crying when, in "Still moving sinews", he sings the "on account of their brightness..." bridge, I don't think he is, actually :)