Best growl(s) in a single Opeth song.

DreamingofUr

Desolate and Forsaken!!
Jun 24, 2003
Beneath The Endless Shifting Sands
Don't know if this has been done yet but if it has...fuck you if you can't stand my laziness.

My personal favorites reside on the 3rd Opeth release entitled My Arms Your Hearse and appearing on Karma. I like the way he just fucking does it to reach that special place in every Death Metal fans heart. So warm and comforting towards the end of such an epic piece of music.

And your's are....???

I definately agree with you, overall Karma is a very underated song. Personally, I think Still Life has some very unique vocals that are apart from the other albums, he seems to drag them out longer, and I think they are badass.. Serenity Painted Death is a great example of that.. w3rd

@Invoking Your damn right about that song in particular. The way he draws it out after the last word of every line is just fuckin awesome!! I wonder if he planned that? "No longer by my sideeeeeugh!" I think this can be classified as growl abuse in some cases.

DreamingofUr said:
@Invoking Your damn right about that song in particular. The way he draws it out after the last word of every line is just fuckin awesome!! I wonder if he planned that? "No longer by my sideeeeeugh!" I think this can be classified as growl abuse in some cases.
Yeah man, I noticed this in many cases on this album... its especially brutal on Srenity Painted Death at 1:27, and actually at many points on this album he follows his vocals with a definate prolonging in his already awesome vocals... vocally, on this album, it is not doubt my favrorite vox from him, Mikael is just all over the place musically..

The chorus of Demon for sure. I like the way he really screams "fall" on the last repeat.

"The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park" - i love the way mikael sings this part! Perhaps my overall favourite Opeth growl moment

The Apostle In Triumph after the whispers when mike screams "through the vast enchanted forest". The whispers really enhance it as well.

Serenity Painted Death after the soft acoustic part - "each and every one would die at my hand" when that part comes on i can't help putting all my rage into it and just going completely nuts!

I also like the eerie effects on the growls at the start of By The Pain I See In Others. It's kind of spooky, especially with the music that accompanies it.

My fav is definitely at the beginning of the heavy part in The Moor when he does a low growl and screams over the top of it.

Also the chorus of Serenity Painted Death and in Master's Apprentices after the clean part when it's about to get heavy again and does those chokes and the growls by themselves.

The Leper Affinity, where he screams "the NIIIGGGHHHTT" for a long time....all the music stops....and then the beginning riff starts up again. Simply amazing.

EDIT: And "Face down beneath the waterline, gazing into the deep" during Delieverance is great too.

I agree with Tavaron...that one part in Leper Affinity owns...he holds that scream for at least 15 seconds without fading out

most of spd
the one in master's apprentice, ya know the one
and when the growl fades in at about 10:18
and when mikael screams demon of the fall