Best Heavy Prog?

Lonnie Tate's Forearms

Here, gimme your dick....
Feb 16, 2004
Tucson, AZ
movies.rapecity.net
I'm very familiar with symphony x's music(I have all the albums except the first, and I've heard about 5 songs off that one) and I'm fairly familiar with Dream Theater(though there's a ton of stuff I haven't heard) and I was wondering what some other good heavy prog bands there are. I was able to dowload an Adagio song after seeing them mentioned here, and it was very good so that's definitely a band I want to look into. I heard some magnitude 9 clips a long time ago and that sounded good too, but I've never been able to find anything online. I'm kind've weary of buying things I've never really haerd. People who like radio music have it easy.

Haha, nice avatar. Hollywood/Hulk Hogan ruled.

About your question, hopefully people can answer because I want to know good heavy prog bands as well.

GroundXero3k said:
Haha, nice avatar. Hollywood/Hulk Hogan ruled.

About your question, hopefully people can answer because I want to know good heavy prog bands as well.

Nice pointless response there, really informational

And before you say the same thing about me, Kings X has some promise because that got that kick ass x at the end of their name :D

try these:

Vanden Plas - Beyond Daylight
ARK - Burn the Sun
Threshold - Critical Mass
Sun Caged
Kamelot - Karma

and of course, one of MY personal favorites, Leslie Spring - Gods and Machines ;)

another thing to try is an internet radio station that takes requests, like www.proggedradio.com

that way you can "try before you buy"

HeavyMetalLiker said:
Nice pointless response there, really informational
Hell yeah it was. :D

Lonnie Tate's Forearms said:
Hey come on now, don't be saying negative things to a fellow Hogan fan.

Thanks. Hogan was my hero as a kid and loved him during his recent run with the WWE. :kickass:

anything by Evergrey.......also check out internet radio sites such as proggedradio.com. They continuously stream the best prog metal and you can also request songs from their database. And it's all legal. Ads on their site pay for the legal rights to play the music.

My recommendations: (sorry for repetitions)

Liquid Tension Experiment - LTE2 (instrumental album)
Ark - Burn The Sun
Threshold - Extinct Instinct
Pain Of Salvation - Remedy Lane
Rage - Welcome To The Other Side

Pain of Salvation - Remedy lane
Evergrey - everything
Sun Caged - s/t
Ayreon - flight of the migrator
Andromeda - 2=1
Nevermore - Dead heart in a dead world (this is not really prog but I think every prog lover also likes this album because it kicks ass!)

i second opeth. especially the song "demon of the fall". not the most proggy of tunes, but it will rip you a few more assholes; it's heavier than fuck. The deliverance album may be more heavy prog that you are looking for if you don't mind some cookie monster vocals (which are done extremely well... he also has a great clean voice)

Zero Hour and Evergrey - it's nice to hear some heavier prog, with lower ranged vocalists

I'd also recommend Into Eternity, although they're considered progressive death their death growls are pretty easy to tolerate and there's still plenty of clean vocals as well. They seem to have some pretty strong Death influences... Their new album is HIGHLY recommended.

I have to throw my hat into SevenString's ring - he has some great choices there. What I've heard of Vanden Plas has been great, and Threshold was quite powerful indeed.

I dig Artension's New Discovery CD, but that isn't all that heavy. It was a nice discovery for me though.