Best Live Band

Esoterik

Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
Who is the best live band you've ever seen and why? Don't just say Opeth cause it's an Opeth forum, if you say Opeth tell why!

My favorite is Fantomas, I saw them 3 weeks ago and was totally blown away. I didn't really know their music that well going into the show, and by the end of it I was floored. The experience that I had that show is beyond words, but I'll try to explain it. The band is absolutely flawless which is amazing considering the constantly shifting timing and generally abstract songs they play. Mike Patton sits behind 2 giant keyboards/samplers and has a mic going through each, plus an additional mic that doesn't go through either keyboard. The guitarist and bassist stand in front of their amps and generally don't move much. Dave Lombardo is surrounded by some of the weirdest instruments I've ever seen. At one point he was breaking beer bottles in a trash can then throwing the can around for an effect in a song. The main thing that makes Fantomas so amazing live is Patton. Not only does he sing and cue samples, he basically conducts/orchestrates the band. They all take cues from him which allows them to play such off the wall music. There were no breaks between songs, and they flowed into songs from different albums flawlessly. The only break in the hour set (not including the encore) was a 3-4 minute sample patton put on in which the entire band left the stage.

Damn, I don't know anything about this band and I've never heard them, but you're making me think they're definitely worth a try! What album(s) would you recommend?

P.S. I haven't seen many live shows at all but out of the ... few metal bands I've seen live I'd say Opeth. The other ones were Cradle of Filth (boo!), Moonspell (alright), Praetoria, and Woods of Ypres (fucking good). I have to get to more shows :(

Im going to have to say Hypocrisy, their show was really amazing, and it just had a lot of energy. Also, I think their songs sound really good in a live situation.

mindless self indulgence: in the very beginning of hte show the singer pretended to sniff coke... then he kept running around the stage, and in the middle of the set, he ran throught the crowd, and started dancing on the bar... fun show

corporate riot: a local band. seen them opening for dying fetus in december. the pit was so amazing. THE best pit ive been to. tonns of energy. the singer kept shoving the mike to the people close to the stage...

eclipse eternal: another local band. they have a cross on the stage during the show, and like 2-3 songs in the set, they turn it upside down. they all have wicked face paint.

dead of winter: when i saw them, the singer was WASTED... he kept spinning his finger above the head (as saying "start the pit!") but no one moshed... i tried several times to start it, but no succes... although 3 or 4 times 1 or 2 people came in, it didnt last.

Stupid answer, but for me it was Opeth, and i have seen a looot of shows. The mood and atmosphere were beyond all comparison.

Candlemass was also very very cool.

IAmEternal: The band only has 3 CDs, so choosing one shouldn't be too hard. Each CD is concept based so each is very distinct. I'd say start out with Director's Cut, which is an entire CD based on situations from horror movies. After that I'd go for their first CD Amenaza Al Mundo which is 30 songs long. Each song is referred to as a "page" because the entire CD is supposed to be like a comic book. Their last and latest CD is Delirium Cordia. It is definetly their weirdest and most out there CD. There's practically no singing, instead Patton uses his voice as an instrument (it's really amazing to hear, that man is a god of samples/voice modification). The CD consists of one 74-minute song which has several different parts and rarely breaks into a riff or drum beat. It's hard to get into, but VERY rewarding to listen to after a few times through.

Just to add to my above post, Opeth definetly ranks a close 2nd to Fantomas, as the energy they give off is beyond comparison. I love Opeth to death, and Fantomas impressed me even more without me really knowing their music very well, so that says a LOT for Fantomas and their live performance.

Metallica at the Sydney Entertainment Centre was absolutely awesome. Great atmosphere and the place was packed. There must have been at least 15000 people there and every single one was getting right into every song.

Opeth come very close but Metallica really know how to get the crowd going.

dream theater as well mike portnoys drum clinics (do those count?); but yeah, rush are very good live - if you get a spot within the first thousand rows.....otherwise you might be able to see them with binoculars or something

greatapoc said:
Metallica at the Sydney Entertainment Centre was absolutely awesome. Great atmosphere and the place was packed. There must have been at least 15000 people there and every single one was getting right into every song.

Opeth come very close but Metallica really know how to get the crowd going.
that was harsh shit with the datsuns
every song?
i dont know..
i hate the st.anger shit so
but it wasa good night

TOOL 2002 in Syd Entertainment Centre....
2nd time seein em as i only went to 2001's first show rather than both of em...
But TOOL always satisfies me musically and... visually
something that some bands do but TOOL is just unbelievable at it...
they had these circus dudes (i think) osseus labyrinth(i think?) who did an aero-ballet, hanging upside down during the song "triad".... awesome awesome stuff...

no.2?
Opeth 2003
first time the Swedes hit the Aussie land and it was just an awesome set, altho 2004 had a much more of a comfortable atmosphere with great energy, the 2003 show was just brutal.. awesome setlist balanced between brutality and serenity with double solo header in a fair judgement and... sorry guys but there was no moshing or crowdsurfin or any stupid shit shouted out at the over 18 opeth show which was great... everyone was just amazed at the band and just watched and listened to everynote that they played....

no.3 APC 2nd show!!!!
omg!! what a great farkin show!
the first night rocked but the 2nd time the band was much more friendly and comfortable and filled with confidence as they tore my eardrums apart. AND!!!! believe it or not... Billy,josh and joey(is it joey? well.. twiggy!) came back and played MASTER OF PUPPETS!!!! :worship: :worship:
well they got to the solo bit then stopped it was an extra treat to a great show :Spin:

Fade to Black said:
that was harsh shit with the datsuns
every song?
i dont know..
i hate the st.anger shit so
but it wasa good night

Ugh. The Datsuns were fucking terrible. Even the St. Anger songs were great. I'm not really into those songs but they sounded awesome live.