Best Opeth Album?

llamaking

A Souless Elegy
Sep 10, 2007
I havent listened to opeth much, but i heard some and its pretty good. What album of theirs should i get? im into a more heavier death sound.

You're gonna get eight different answers if you ask what the best album is. If you're into heavy shit try Deliverance for starters, Blackwater Park is a good start too I guess, it was their 'breakthrough' in a way. Just stay clear of the first two albums (Orchid and Morningrise) for now, they're good, but quite different from the other ones. If you ask me what the best one is, I'd say Still Life. You can't really go wrong with Opeth anyway, all albums are quality.

deliverance, then blackwater park, still life, my arms your hearse, ghost reveries,morningrise, and last but not least orchid i'd listen to them in that order. dont forget about damnation though.

Blackwater Park gives you the best feel for what they can do. There's light/heavy, acoustic/electric, growling/clean, etc. Overall the best showcase of what they have to offer.

Surely any exponents of a claim professing to rank any one of these brilliant shimmering icons of divine majesty above another of its class is unworthy of attention from all but the most repugnant adherents of all those who claim to love the art of music. The unremittingly lofty heights reached by these undeniably remarkable minstrels, incontestably and ardently the finest seen in our time, is rivaled only by the colossal inflamed egos possessed by subscribers to their divine art. The transcendent beauty of His astral eminence, Mikael the Magnificent, would without hesitation, duly shield His godly eyes from such a blasphemous calumniation.

/end silly fanboy rant

Blackwater Park is probably the best place to start if you're getting into Opeth. But their best album (in my opinion) is Still Life.

Deliverance is by a rather large margin their heaviest and darkest album iyam. MAYH is certainly heavy but it still has a lot of clean sections and instrumental parts to take away that title. (Not that Deliverance doesn't have a lot of clean sections, but even those parts tend to sound a lot darker in the context of the songs.)
Deliverance is too much of a filler album.. I'd get My Arms, Your Hearse first.
Saying Deliverance is too much of a filler album is like saying Damnation shouldn't even be considered part of Opeth's discog for being different.

Surely any exponents of a claim professing to rank any one of these brilliant shimmering icons of divine majesty above another of its class is unworthy of attention from all but the most repugnant adherents of all those who claim to love the art of music. The unremittingly lofty heights reached by these undeniably remarkable minstrels, incontestably and ardently the finest seen in our time, is rivaled only by the colossal inflamed egos possessed by subscribers to their divine art. The transcendent beauty of His astral eminence, Mikael the Magnificent, would without hesitation, duly shield His godly eyes from such a blasphemous calumniation.

/end silly fanboy rant

you have a rather large diction..... :)