Best place to get started on Porcupine Tree

Xorv

Drug the Priest
May 30, 2005
the bowels of lochness
I was thinking of getting into this band, but when I saw their discography-WHOA! I guess my question would be which of all those albums has the most beautiful and best structured songs. Maybe not so much the heavy side of them (if there is any) if I want heavy anyways I'll turn on some Pig Destroyer.

edit - is this band even worth the time trying to get into and filling my ipod space with their songs?

Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream are two of my most favorite records of all time. absolutely phenomenal. I don't really care for their post In Absentia stuff, but whatever

edit - is this band even worth the time trying to get into and filling my ipod space with their songs?

I think they're pretty overrated by some fans, but they have some nice songs. "Trains" and "Piano Lessons" are really cool, but a lot of their songs sound samey to me, so I never listen to their albums for that reason.

I think they're pretty overrated by some fans, but they have some nice songs. "Trains" and "Piano Lessons" are really cool, but a lot of their songs sound samey to me, so I never listen to their albums for that reason.

This and this.

Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream are two of my most favorite records of all time. absolutely phenomenal. I don't really care for their post In Absentia stuff, but whatever

All I have is probably their most popular album "In Absentia". I think it has some really cool stuff on it, but it's not really amazing. It's not metal -at all-. I actually was planning on one day checking out their newer stuff, but after realing this thread I may have to check out "Lightbulb Sun".

Threads like this help the community.

I actually was planning on one day checking out their newer stuff, but after realing this thread I may have to check out "Lightbulb Sun".
Lightbulb Sun is part of their alternative phase(if alternative even means anything anymore), definitely worth buying.

Porcupine Tree's discography is genuinely good all the way through imo, all depending on what mood you're in.
The Sky Moves Sideways and the stellar live album Coma Divine both are very spacey and trippy. Tons of Pink Floyd moments.

In Absentia, Deadwing and FOABP are Progressive Rock.
imo a very impressive band that is rewarding if you give it some time. They were meh to me at first but grew into one of my fav's.

Up the Downstair was my first encounter with them and ended up being one of my favorite albums. Voyage 34 is full of excellent guitar leads and atmosphere.

Everything from Signify to Fear of A Blank Planet ranges from good to great. In Absentia is my least favorite, although all albums have enough hit songs to get some play from me. FOABP, Stupid Dream, and Signify are the easiest for me to play from start to finish. Lightbulb Sun is close, but a few songs suck on there, i.e. Four Chords That Made A Million, Feel So Low.

Pirate.jpg

Porcupine Tree's discography is genuinely good all the way through imo, all depending on what mood you're in.

Yes.

I would recommend In Absentia as a starting point, I think a lot of PTree fans are born from that one. But yes, I enjoy almost all of their material.

Everyone on the Opeth forum seems to recommend In Absentia. It's really far from their best. I think it has the most filler on it. I don't think it's any more accessible than any of the other albums they've done in the last 10 years.