Best Prog Death Metal Band

all_sins_undone

New Metal Member
Oct 5, 2005
Alright, provided Opeth IS in this genre, are they your favorite prog dm band?

In my case, yes. Fuck yes. Opeth is my favorite band of any genre but hey, it's just my opinion. What do you think?

Examples of more prog dm:
Peccatum, Orphaned Land, Novembers Doom, Moonspell, The Provenance, Frantic Bleep.

Yes Opeth definitely is my favorite progressive death metal band. Orphaned Land comes on close second. As far as guitar soloing comes, I much prefer Orphaned Land over Opeth though. Some Novembers Doom material is also goddamn amazing.

*On second thought, I'm not sure Peccatum should be labelled as "Prog. death metal".

I also find that their musicianship (guitar work, vocals, song structure) far outweigh and other band in their genre.

Sadguru said:
As far as progressive death metal goes, yes Opeth are my favorite band. Best? I don't know. I band members form a very cohesive whole IMO. Technically, many bands outclass Opeth's members though.

So first, you weren't sure if they were your favorite prog DM band. Now you're definite that they're you're favorite prog dm band. It's now just obvious you are looking to make arguments that you can't win...

blimey said:
So first, you werenit sure if they were. Now you're definite that they're you're favorite prog dm band. It's now just obvious you are looking to make arguments that you can't win...
What do you mean "you werenit sure if they were."?

Sadguru said:
What do you mean "you werenit sure if they were."?

Um, I mean you weren't sure if they were your favorite prog dm band. I edited it so its... umm. easier to understand.

blimey said:
Um, I mean you weren't sure if they were your favorite prog dm band. I edited it so its... umm. easier to understand.
But where did I state that I wasn't sure if they were my favorite prog death metal band?

Sadguru said:
Man can't you read ponctuation?
Oh!!!! Like define it. Ok, my definition of outweigh: the quality at which opeth presents their guitarwork, vocals, and song structures is superior to that of other prog dm bands. Example, uniqueness and lack of repetitiveness, flowing riffs and guitar harmonies, lots of emotion in their music, angelic clean vocals, mean and fierce dm growls.

You know, this thread made a lot more sence before Sadguru brought that up. So instead of getting involved in this little side-convo I'm just going to answer the original question.

...Yes

:OMG:

BTW, Blimey, did you realize that although you've only been here a few months, you already have 350 posts. I joined a few days after you and your post count completley doubles mine and then some :lol:

blimey said:
Oh!!!! Like define it. Ok, my definition of outweigh: the quality at which opeth presents their guitarwork, vocals, and song structures is superior to that of other prog dm bands. Example, uniqueness and lack of repetitiveness, flowing riffs and guitar harmonies, lots of emotion in their music, angelic clean vocals, mean and fierce dm growls.
How is it superior? It is different, but superior? Given, Mike's vocal cord are phenomenal, but what objective value to you give to the quality of the riffs, harmonies, song structure, emotion and so on?

Actually he never stated that he wasn't sure if they were his/her favorite band.

He said they were his favorite, but not sure about being the best.

so blimey, my friend... you just got..

PWN3D!!!!

blimey said:

Oh you mean that: "As far as progressive death metal goes, yes Opeth are my favorite band. Best? I don't know."

You missed my point. I wanted to enphasis that it's questionable whether or not Opeth are objectively the BEST prog. death metal band. My subjective opinion is that Opeth are my favorite band within the genre.