BEST PROGRESSIVE METAL ALBUM OF ALL TIME!!! (Until Romeo & Co. makes better one)

I DISAGREE with all of you...i think V is one of the best prog metal albums, but if u ask me, "The Divine Wings Of Tragedy" wins this title by far far far far....

other ones...DT's "Metropolis pt2", or "Awake", Yes' "Open your eyes"

Kate Bush Rules! said:
Ugh, so many people on this forum have no idea what progressive metal is.
*sigh*

I love these kinda people that are like "OMG DOOD SYMFONEE X ISNT PROG METAL THERE POWER-PROG GET YOR FREEKING FACKS STRAIGHT NOOB".

I mean, c'mon, yeah they're power-prog, but they're far more prog than power. Other than the occasional power metal-style drumming, I hear very little power metal influence in Symphony X's sound.

I agree SX is not even close to "power metal". If you still think so check out Hammerfall or Manowar and honestly say if you think SX is power metal. To me progressive is changing the mood and melody of your music through the expirementation of different sounds (usually done by keyboard). Symphony X has varied in their sound a lot more than any band I have ever heard. Look at the albums Damnation Game, V, and The Odyssey, just between those three there is a significant change it the way the music sounds. I still like DT and all but to me SX is a much proggier band than them even. The style of their music does not ever really change and Rudess always stays with that same keyboard synthesized sound.

Do you think that DT's "Awake" sounds like the same album as "Scenes From A Memory"? SyX's style really is very predictable, particularly the guitar/keyboard duels idea, and they haven't significantly changed their general sound since "The Divine Wings of Tragedy". Michael Pinnella doesn't really have a wide palette of keyboard instruments either.

There are power metal influences all over the place in Symphony X. The most obvious is Russell Allen's falsetto power metal voice. Michael Romeo plays plenty of galloping riffs, and other static riffs. His neo-classical shred solos are very power metal. Jason Rullo uses the double-bass drums A LOT. I think the most progressive thing about them is the bass playing, because it is not always totally dependent on the guitar. I think SyX are prog-influenced, but still a great power metal band.

Kate Bush Rules! said:
Do you think that DT's "Awake" sounds like the same album as "Scenes From A Memory"? SyX's style really is very predictable, particularly the guitar/keyboard duels idea, and they haven't significantly changed their general sound since "The Divine Wings of Tragedy". Michael Pinnella doesn't really have a wide palette of keyboard instruments either.

There are power metal influences all over the place in Symphony X. The most obvious is Russell Allen's falsetto power metal voice. Michael Romeo plays plenty of galloping riffs, and other static riffs. His neo-classical shred solos are very power metal. Jason Rullo uses the double-bass drums A LOT. I think the most progressive thing about them is the bass playing, because it is not always totally dependent on the guitar. I think SyX are prog-influenced, but still a great power metal band.

Falsetto? FALSETTO? Yeah right! That's him, baby! Through and through! He has one of THE best ranges I know of.

There are power metal influences all over the place in Symphony X. The most obvious is Russell Allen's falsetto power metal voice.

Russell Allen's falsetto power metal voice? what the hell are you talking about? You're obviously confusing head voice with falsetto (two very different terms) Russell does use falsetto every once in a while, but most of the time he uses head voice to reach high notes. Anyway, I don't really get what's your point, because James Labrie has the capability of reaching higher notes than Allen (that doesn't mean he has more range, though) and by that conclusion James would be more of a power metal singer than Russell.

Double bass drums? Oh no! Jason is using double bass drums like about all the other 90% of prog metal drummers. If you call using double bass drums power metal then that would classify DT into the power metal category as well. As soon as you read my post you knew I was right and tried to make a pathetic attempt at a comeback comment and made yourself look even dumber than before. I like DT a lot but when DT fans like you act the way you are acting it makes me wonder. You need to go back to the DT forum and stop embarrassing DT, you're making them look bad.

symphonyXjapan said:
Double bass drums? Oh no! Jason is using double bass drums like about all the other 90% of prog metal drummers. If you call using double bass drums power metal then that would classify DT into the power metal category as well.

and Opeth...