theme of new album?

Actually I just thought of something.

What about focusing on each song individually and making each themed after a different literary work/short story? Kind of like how they based the song "King of Terrors" off of that Edgar Allen Poe story. Each song could cover the theme of a different actual short story in literature.

Wasn't "The Turning" based off Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?

The crap discussed in this forum would make an intersting album concept. They could make a really angry song based on threads about when the next album comes out, have a guest spot with Petrucci on an instrumental based on the drivel from the versus threads... Then there's that political thread... An actual recording of a drunk Zach call...

:lol:

:lol: I changed my mind, I'm voting for this. ^

How about a saga of the United States 08 election and how "history was made", how "change" is in the future and everything will be all fixed now......

.....................?....................

:lol:

How about an 25 minute song about taking a dump........

No think about it.. introduction is the guy getting ready to eat and then the lyrics go like this:

The juicy steak is calling my name!
There is no time to spare
I have to eat it all away
Leave leftovers, I would never dare!

3min instrumental and the dude is on the job

My my, whats this
My stomach is burning inside of me
I can't control these urges
I've got to let it free!!!

Then he is running towards the toilet and the riffs get all violent.
The dude is on the toilet pushing his brains out but guess what, hes constipated!

Oh no, I can't get it out!
All that steak I could've done without
I have to push harder, its my destiny
I promise you, YOU WILL BE FREE!!!

5min instrumental
-soothing music- hes got it out!

Well.. its been a great journey my friend
But all good things must come to an end
Goodbye and keep your head up
One day we'll meet again, with luck

-ending solo-

Would be so awesome.

I wouldn't mind a good Old Testament themed album, though I guess PL fills that a bit. New Testament? A Middle Ages album that somehow ties the Accolades and The Relic together?

How about an 25 minute song about taking a dump........

No think about it.. introduction is the guy getting ready to eat and then the lyrics go like this:

The juicy steak is calling my name!
There is no time to spare
I have to eat it all away
Leave leftovers, I would never dare!

3min instrumental and the dude is on the job

My my, whats this
My stomach is burning inside of me
I can't control these urges
I've got to let it free!!!

Then he is running towards the toilet and the riffs get all violent.
The dude is on the toilet pushing his brains out but guess what, hes constipated!

Oh no, I can't get it out!
All that steak I could've done without
I have to push harder, its my destiny
I promise you, YOU WILL BE FREE!!!

5min instrumental
-soothing music- hes got it out!

Well.. its been a great journey my friend
But all good things must come to an end
Goodbye and keep your head up
One day we'll meet again, with luck

-ending solo-

Would be so awesome.

AHAHAAAAAAAHAHAHA I love the ending rhyme!

Actually, few of SX's albums are even about a theme or concept, it's the individual songs. I'll say that the only one really is the New Mythology Suite, and in my opinion Paradise Lost is even weak as a theme/concept: like many other albums, a single title track actually follows the theme. The only "theme" linking the rest of the songs to PL is that they're "about the emotions expressed in the story", which basically means every fucking human emotion ever. As a theme, I would call every human emotion ever fairly weak.

Anyway, if you have an album that's a collection of songs about various, unrelated ideas, you have The Damnation Game, Divine Wings, Twilight in Olympus, Odyssey, and in my opinion, even Paradise Lost.

How about an album that doesn't have a theme or concept, and actually isn't really about anything in particular.

This is actually easier because there is no restricting factors. Lyrics for a long saga seem to be very hard for me at this point and I admire those that can do it.

An idea came to my mind. A theme about a dying protagonist who's laying on his deathbed after coming down the long hard way of having is terminal disease. The first song would be about his/her last minutes and death but rest would be about the disease in a reversed chronological order and all the emotions involved with it. Pretty cheesy idea but there could be some deep lyrics crafted into it especially if someone with a terminal disease would write them.

Makes probably no sense at all.