Why no V The New Mythology?

I'm glad they didn't play evolution! I'm tired of hearing how they keep playing the same songs over and over...I think they should get rid of constantly playing inferno, sea of lies, of sins, and smoke and mirrors. Those songs are always played! Why not something like Dressed to Kill or Rediscovery II? Or even Lady of the Snow! Be like Dream Theater and play everything!

I've only seen SymX 4 times and I agree completely. Lady of the Snow ftw :worship:

I whole heartedly agree, they play Of Sins And Shadows, Sea Of Lies and Smoke And Mirors all the time... like those are their hit singles or something. Well, I guess they could be considered that, but those aren't even my favorite songs off those albums. And the wierd part is that they included most of those on Live On The Edge Of Forever CD. I've only seen SX live once, the other night, and I've been waiting for them to come to Portland for years, so it's kind of a once in a blue moon opportunity for me. I would have rather had them sacrifice doing so much DWOT material and had a least one song from V. And as far as them not being able to play songs from V by themselves because they are part of a concept album... whatever. A lot of thier stuff is conceptual so I don't think it really matters. The only other thing I would have changed about the show was the fact that the only mellow song was Paradise Lost. I mean, SX rocks... I the fact that they also do suble matterial so well is also one of the main reason that I like them. Pretty much the whole show was a fast and furtious onslaught from beginig to end.

I'm sure they will play the same songs here in San Antonio. But I do hope
they will pull out a surprise or two and jam something different. This will be the 2nd time I have seen them and I can't wait!:headbang:

They should really practice as many songs as possible. 40 would be good... And then mix the set

I really wonder if they'd play those rare classics more if they knew how much fans would like that. I'd really want to hear The Accolades... And Church of the machine... and The Edge of Forever... and say... Masquerade... and Divine wings... and ofcourse many songs from the new album.

Anyway, I haven't seen them live yet, so I don't really care much what they play here.

What you guys aren't taking into account, and straight from the mouth of Rullo (and Russell): they just released a new album and are excited about it. For every 12 people on a message board who continue to say "I heart V!!!1", there are 50 people who want to hear the new stuff.

You have to take into account the flow and roller-coaster ride that is a live show: if they Church of the Machine you have to drop Walls of Babylon. If they play Communion and the Oracle, they have to drop Paradise Lost. You can't just say "throw in an epic song, cut Sea of Lies" because they aren't the same style and they don't garner the same reaction from a crowd.

Plus, these guys aren't Iron Maiden. They can't play a two hour + setlist and count on having a stadium crowd. There are opening bands, time alotments, etc. and this leaves them with about 100 min. to play. Deal with it. Alive In Athens, we ain't.

It would make NO SENSE for a band with a brand new album out to play a bunch of their old material, or a bunch of epic material (giving the show about a 7 song setlist). And personally, I loved hearing the new stuff live. I would have paid to hear the whole new album in it's entirety.

This all being said...

Songs from V don't work out unless they play a good portion of V IMO. I personally don't want to hear evolution. And fyi, egypt is the worst song on that album.

I agree that the album works better in chunks (or the whole thing, obviously), and that Egypt is one of the weaker tracks on it (maybe not THE weakest, though).

However, as some have mentioned, I would probably have a brain orgasm if I heard "Absence of Light" or "A Fool's Paradise" played live. :loco:

For every 12 people on a message board who continue to say "I heart V!!!1", there are 50 people who want to hear the new stuff.
Those are some weird ass numbers to pick... 12 and 50? :lol:

by the way, you could reduce it down to 6 and 25.

However, as some have mentioned, I would probably have a brain orgasm if I heard "Absence of Light" or "A Fool's Paradise" played live. :loco:
Yes, agreed that they should play those two songs. I would be happy if they could pull those out and slay with them.

Has anyone noticed that Sym X's sets seem to be composed almost entirely of tracks from the first half of their albums? Like once in a while they play a song like the Odyssey that's near the last on the album, but if you look at the BB King's set, just look at it.

Sins and Shadows - 1/9
Domination - 3/10
Inferno - 1/~9
Evolution - 2/13
Communion - 5/13
Smoke and Mirrors - 1/8
Set the World on Fire - 2/10
Serpents Kiss - 4/10
King of Terrors - 5/~9
Sea of Lies - 2/9
The Odyssey - 8/~9

I hope they do play something from V in San Antonio. It's my first time to see them, and V is my favorite album by them. My wife disagree's with me on that one though.

I'm seeing them for the first time in october, and i would love for them to play fallen/absence of light but i wanna see walls of babylon too. i'll be sure to write the setlist down. (and Egypt's not a weak song)

They will play The Walls of Babylon. Yeah, it sucks that nothing from V (probably my fav) was played, but I can understand how they'd want to put away songs from an album they've always played since it came out. But just Communion and the Oracle would have been awesome. Other than that, it was one of the best damn shows I've ever seen!

They stopped playing Evolution a week ago or so. They simply removed it - they did not replace it with any other song. Lepond said they were simply sick of playing it, which makes sense, since they've been playing it nearly nonstop since V was released.

That actually sounds pretty lame to me. And they didn't even play something else?! Come on, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush played for 3 hours at BB King NON STOP!

They CANNOT drop Of Sins and Shadows... that is Romeo's best solo.

I was a little disappointed that they dropped Evolution (since the Mokena show was my first SyX show ever, because I moved into my new house the day they did Gigantour here). But they played THE ODYSSEY. They could play their worst songs and then play The Odyssey at the end and I'd be happy.

It would be cool to see something from self-titled. I'd vote for 'Premonition' from that one.

I heart V.

It would be cool to see something from self-titled. I'd vote for 'Premonition' from that one.

Or Absinthe & Rue. :headbang:

According to Russell, the chances of hearing anything from the first two albums are slim to none. He and Lepond said it would be cool to pull out some older tracks, but that the first two albums didn't sell nearly as well as the others, and that for every ten people that want to hear Edge of Forever, there's 100 people who want to hear Paradise Lost.